Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
OK...another does this make sense new Pentax person gear list...with diagrams!! :)

OK, I have diagrams and doughnuts and some really tasty freshly made Turkish Coffee in hand, with soy milk though not bovine...and no sugar, nasty stuff sugar...anyway

New here and want to thank everyone here for the info you have built up over the years. I am here for one reason, I have been smitt with the K-7, so much so, I am selling all my canon gear to make the switch. Anyway, I have been devising a Black Adder "cunning plan", with a touch of Wallace and Gromet thrown in for color.

Here is the idea....since I already ordered the DA* 50-135, the FA 77mm Limited, I have enough left to get the K-7 and one more lens I need and I am going to grab a DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro. I came to this line up from this chart, the lenses I am or have bought are in red and the numbers signify the level of importance to me:

What I did was setup the lenses I have and use then find Pentax equivalents. I was surprised that for the most part it was pretty easy. And like I wrote, I had alread decided on the 50-135mm even though I really want the 60-200mm as that is the one lens I have been hunting for a while, well a 70-200 anyway, but one of the reasons I am making this switch is the weather sealing so I plan to build as many weather sealed fast lenses into the line-up as I can...but, hey you can't buy all of them at once...well, ok I can't by them all at once...hehehe...

Actually the most important lens will be the 35mm Macro. I like the images I've seen from others. And I need a macro. I also like this can be used like my old 50mm on a film body. So rather than get a Sigma 150mm or even their 70mm or 105mm if they can even be found in a Pentax mount, I decided why not be really different.

The 50-135 and the 77mm Ltd. are for shooting my best buds 1yr old later this summer for a well. After that they are for me to play with and will do some double duty for product shots but mostly they are for fun.

I know there are other combos, I considered them all and even by opting for the 35mm Macro Ltd. I am going to be about $400 over budget, did not want to push it too far yet I also know what I need now and can afford to wait on adding either 16-50 or a 43mm Ltd later this fall and then add another early next year. After that all I need is a big arse zoom like the Bigmos and I'm good...then again I love the design of these freaky tiny lenses that Pentax breeds, just need to breed the silver out of the roster and I am fine...crips off-white was bad enough...SILVER? I hope that guy got fired!

So that was my process and I will end up with a K-7, DA35mm Ltd. macro, FA 77mm ltd. surrounding the DA* 50-135mm. Seem reasonable? BTW, I shoot all manner of thing from marco of anything to ebay product shots, I am learning my small studio lighing and the concepts about light manipulation from Light: Science & Magic by Fil Hunter plus my info from Peterson's books. I think given the colors everyone seems to achieve with the Pentax gear, I am thinking this is gonna be a fun summer and we'll see where it goes from there!

06-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
OK, I have diagrams and doughnuts and some really tasty freshly made Turkish Coffee in hand, with soy milk though not bovine...and no sugar, nasty stuff sugar...anyway

First, welcome to the forum. I'm eating chunks of Swiss cheese, a small chocolate guitar (don't ask) and drinking diet coke.

QuoteQuote:
New here and want to thank everyone here for the info you have built up over the years. I am here for one reason, I have been smitt with the K-7, so much so, I am selling all my canon gear to make the switch. Anyway, I have been devising a Black Adder "cunning plan", with a touch of Wallace and Gromet thrown in for color.

Liking this on a number of different levels already.

QuoteQuote:
Here is the idea....since I already ordered the DA* 50-135, the FA 77mm Limited, I

Stop right there. Congratulations on your choices, you either had some excellent advice, or did your homework well. Continue.

QuoteQuote:
...have enough left to get the K-7 and one more lens I need and I am going to grab a DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro.

An Optical Paragon.

QuoteQuote:
I came to this line up from this chart, the lenses I am or have bought are in red and the numbers signify the level of importance to me:

Excellent chart

QuoteQuote:
What I did was setup the lenses I have and use then find Pentax equivalents. I was surprised that for the most part it was pretty easy. And like I wrote, I had already decided on the 50-135mm even though I really want the 60-200mm as that is the one lens I have been hunting for a while, well a 70-200 anyway, but one of the reasons I am making this switch is the weather sealing so I plan to build as many weather sealed fast lenses into the line-up as I can...but, hey you can't buy all of them at once...well, ok I can't by them all at once...hehehe...

The 50-135 2.8 is smaller and faster, but you lose reach. On DX, many find 135mm is long enough, though. You have made no errors, only slight compromises (as we all must do.)

QuoteQuote:
Actually the most important lens will be the 35mm Macro. I like the images I've seen from others. And I need a macro. I also like this can be used like my old 50mm on a film body. So rather than get a Sigma 150mm or even their 70mm or 105mm if they can even be found in a Pentax mount, I decided why not be really different.

Replacing a Sigma 180 macro with a DA 35ltd macro is daring, and creative. There are some who will insist that you will die from bee stings within 20 minutes of taking your 1st shots with the 35ltd macro, and all non-stinging bugs will flee in horror as you approach 1:1, but I and others have managed to squeeze off some acceptable macro shots. Plus, you'll be replacing a huge 180mm macro lens with a much more usable D-normal lens, that for everyday shooting is sublimely wonderful. Good, gutsy choice.

QuoteQuote:
The 50-135 and the 77mm Ltd. are for shooting my best buds 1yr old later this summer for a well. After that they are for me to play with and will do some double duty for product shots but mostly they are for fun.

Perfect application.

QuoteQuote:
I know there are other combos, I considered them all and even by opting for the 35mm Macro Ltd. I am going to be about $400 over budget, did not want to push it too far yet I also know what I need now and can afford to wait on adding either 16-50 or a 43mm Ltd later this fall and then add another early next year. After that all I need is a big arse zoom like the Bigmos and I'm good...then again I love the design of these freaky tiny lenses that Pentax breeds, just need to breed the silver out of the roster and I am fine...crips off-white was bad enough...SILVER? I hope that guy got fired!

Silver can be beautiful! It may clash on the K-7, but the FA limiteds like to be noticed.

QuoteQuote:

So that was my process and I will end up with a K-7, DA35mm Ltd. macro, FA 77mm ltd. surrounding the DA* 50-135mm. Seem reasonable? BTW, I shoot all manner of thing from marco of anything to ebay product shots, I am learning my small studio lighing and the concepts about light manipulation from Light: Science & Magic by Fil Hunter plus my info from Peterson's books. I think given the colors everyone seems to achieve with the Pentax gear, I am thinking this is gonna be a fun summer and we'll see where it goes from there!

Welcome, congrats, hope to see some images from you with that K-7 and excellent glass you've chosen. Lay off the Turkish coffee before shooting, though - the in-body SR is good, but there's no benefit to adding caffeine jitters to the mix.

06-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Good god, this is a whole new level of LBA/CBA.... Seek professional help.
06-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I feel dizzy just looking at it!
Welcome to the forums!

06-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum!
You've given this all too much thought! But very objective.
Well, as long as you're enjoying the process.
You've already got a great setup there, adding in the DA* 16-50, just to keep on with the weather sealed theme (and perhaps the 12-24 if you're that way inclined) would be like icing on the cake, and you'd then be able to capture anything!
06-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #6

Maybe you could draw up Pentax's next lens roadmap!

The only note I would make is putting less of a priority on the 16-50 or 43ltd. since you have much of this versatility already in your bag. I might suggest moving your 12-24 from a 4 to a 2 as this is a powerfully versatile lens with outstanding rendering outside your present focal length range, and it should be less money than adding complementary telephoto to your arsenal. In other words you can greatly expand your focal length range without stretching your budget as far.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing this really cool diagram.

DS
06-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I feel dizzy just looking at it!
Welcome to the forums!
hahahaha....me too!!

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
First, welcome to the forum. I'm eating chunks of Swiss cheese, a small chocolate guitar (don't ask) and drinking diet coke.
brekkies of champions!!! be sure and share some cheese with Gromit poor feller always ends up as an after thought.

QuoteQuote:
Liking this on a number of different levels already.
be sure and bring your turnip, you know in case the cunning plan goes awry!!

QuoteQuote:
Stop right there. Congratulations on your choices, you either had some excellent advice, or did your homework well. Continue.
Thanks, i did a lot of reading...hey, I stayed up all night as well as most of Saturday as well. Plus having done the digital thing for a while it helped me have an idea what I like shooting as well as what actual needs I have for sure.

QuoteQuote:
The 50-135 2.8 is smaller and faster, but you lose reach. On DX, many find 135mm is long enough, though. You have made no errors, only slight compromises (as we all must do.)
It was tough but I like to do a lot of nature shooting and, well, I keep it to a minimum because of the cost of the L Canon's...though the 200L is a surprising sleeper steal of a lens.

So, thanks, I actually put a lot of work into research. And since I know I really want to stick with faster glass and as much WR gear as possible that helped. Then I just looked at a lot of the lense discussion threads. I have to say the Limited really seduced me... as a rule, those are just too nice for words.

QuoteQuote:
Replacing a Sigma 180 macro with a DA 35ltd macro is daring, and creative. There are some who will insist that you will die from bee stings within 20 minutes of taking your 1st shots with the 35ltd macro, and all non-stinging bugs will flee in horror as you approach 1:1, but I and others have managed to squeeze off some acceptable macro shots. Plus, you'll be replacing a huge 180mm macro lens with a much more usable D-normal lens, that for everyday shooting is sublimely wonderful. Good, gutsy choice.

{snip}

Silver can be beautiful! It may clash on the K-7, but the FA limiteds like to be noticed.
I have to admit that the decision on the 35mm macro was an epiphany event early this AM. I have a lot of antique jewelry I need to shoot and catalog as well as antiques I sell online. I spent the last year learning lighting and such to get better at it. I have a sense, what amounts to a 50mm FF/35mm macro lens will give a very interesting perspective on the pieces I have to shoot. And I can also step back and shoot larger from a distance as well. The focus does not need be super fast. I am used to the 180mm Sigma macro so, while it is reasonably quick with it's HSM, it's not gonna win any contests either. But, yeah, this choice was a gut reaction. So this time around I am going with that sense...

QuoteQuote:
Welcome, congrats, hope to see some images from you with that K-7 and excellent glass you've chosen. Lay off the Turkish coffee before shooting, though - the in-body SR is good, but there's no benefit to adding caffeine jitters to the mix.
Thanks bunches, especially for getting the humor in my post...I know I have gone near terminal LBA already. But in self defense, I never had such interesting lense options before. Plus I will end up with a body I can dip in my milk every morning.

06-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote
Maybe you could draw up Pentax's next lens roadmap!

The only note I would make is putting less of a priority on the 16-50 or 43ltd. since you have much of this versatility already in your bag. I might suggest moving your 12-24 from a 4 to a 2 as this is a powerfully versatile lens with outstanding rendering outside your present focal length range, and it should be less money than adding complementary telephoto to your arsenal. In other words you can greatly expand your focal length range without stretching your budget as far.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing this really cool diagram.

DS
Thanks for the welcome...and the diagram too...I use an open source app called FreeMind to rough out ideas and spitball plans. It's free and really wasy to use. Has a few worts but, eh, not a problem. It can do a lot more than I use it for...

As for the 12-24...yeah, it's on my mind for sure. I used my 10-20 a bunch and really I might just end up with another Sigma though it sill be slightly different on the Pentax...the 12 on a 1.5x is really like an 11mm on the 1.6x of the 40D so maybe it's not as different as I thought, more like a 10-22 canon with a constant f/4. You might be right. I can live w/o the 18-50 for a while since I would have the 35 as well as the 50-135 as a make do walk arounds...
06-21-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nachodog Quote
Good god, this is a whole new level of LBA/CBA.... Seek professional help.
hahahaha...I think it's too late for me...just save yourself!!
06-21-2009, 10:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
GMTA or in my case stumble across the answer using brute force and awkwardness:

Falk Lumo : photos : K-7 macro shots
06-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

hi brecklundin. I got a much worse symptom that you have right now. I'm targeting two more lenses right now and I would say that these would satisfy my LBA (finally and hopefully).
what I did notice is that I seem to have this thing about FA lenses or do by chance the FA lenses keep on finding me. lol
06-23-2009, 12:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Pentaxor:

I hear ya...I have LBA and NO CAMERA...but that FA lens thing of yours...seriously it sounds bad man....real bad man...how is it when you wake up in the AM? Do you find yourself needing to caress them first thing? Do you wake up in the middle of the night and search online for more? Have you pawned the neighbor's poodle to get more FA?