Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
older 35mm?

I have some negatives here that were shot around the year 1969. I've been trying to scan them on my Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner, but....the frames don't match. Is this because this isn't 35mm or just older film? Is there anything I can do to make the frames match?

I guess I should explain frames don't match. When I scan these negatives, the photos show up as though someone cut them wrong. So, I get one photo, but the next frame/photo is also in that same frame/photo.

06-22-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Ah, ....with that scanner, assuming you've got the negs in the carrier properly, the preview scan will show you what the scanner sees. To select a specific frame, you need to select it with the crop lines. I'm not quite sure how else to explain it, but you ought to see four 'buttons' in the window there, to the right of the preview scan.

If you're just getting a fragment of an image, the computer may think a previous negative is still in place. So you'll want to clear away any old crop lines. Basically, this is not automated, you need to select what part of the negative strip to scan.
06-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
With this scanner it scans up to six frames. What you see are each negative split into two frames. Also, in Pro mode, there are no crop lines to use.
Please disregard the dirty negatives. These were in a box of saved photos and no one (I wasn't living here then) kept them clean and in sleeves. Also, the buttons on the side of preview do nothing except alter color, density, etc.

06-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Only mode that allows marque is home mode. And trying to use that to crop out the unwanted extra frame doesn't work either. I tried it but that didn't work either.

06-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Well, I'm afraid I'd have trouble explaining things to you, my example of that scanner never worked right, anyway, (I usually run it off PSE, anyway, come to think of it,couldn't get the Epson software to work right, anyway) but that way, you can in fact choose negative areas to scan.

If it's an odd film format, that still shouldn't affect the scans as long as the whole frame is visible in the carrier. You could surely use your editing program to crop that way, anyway, as long as you get complete frames in your scan.
06-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I can't get this scanner to run in WIA mode in PSE. So, going through PSE and selecting Epson 4490 gives me the same controls as if I just clicked on the software itself. I've never had a problem with the Epson software, from any Epson scanner I've had.

But I think I'm going to attempt something and if it works, I'll let you know.
06-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
what I tried didn't work. I tried moving the film back from the top of the holder, leaving a space but that didn't work either. And I did find the marque but that only let me select part of the frame that had part of the photo. Not good.

Anyway, here is a photo of the film I'm trying to scan, with a modern 35mm beside it. You can see where the frames end on both of them. The top one is the older (1969) film, and the bottom one is from a roll taken in 1983.

06-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have a Epson 1650 scanner (an earlier version of these flatbeds with transparancy hoods)and use the Epson Twain scanning software that came with it. I've seen references to later models that sound like it didn't change much so this is a semi-wil-stab-in-the-dark... but.. can you turn 'auto' mode off and use 'advanced' mode. In mine, when you're in auto mode it tries to isolate the image area but as you've found, it can't seem to handle odd sized negs. In 'advanced' or non-auto mode, you get to specifiy the area you want to scan. With mine I do this procedure...

1. Put neg in holder under hood
2. (from PS7, but works same from other applications) Select "Import from scanner"
3. Epson Twain pops up and I hit the 'pre-scan' icon
4. Drag the scanning area marquee around the image area. I usually make it a bit smaller (this seems to get the autoexposure more accurate, although some times it has no idea)
5. Hit Auto-Exposure icon. Drag marquee side back out to cover whole neg.
6. Make any adjustments to Brightness (gamma) and mid point (shadow detail captured). I prefer to ensure I get all shadow detail possible. Can always loose that later in editing.
7. Hit scan.

Hope you work it out. Look forward to see some of these.. I love old pics (usually B&W from a lot earlier than these) and those hotpants are 'hot'!!!! Is that you?

Cheers, Nige

Edit : I forgot to add, make sure you turn off 'sharpening' It's way too agressive.

Last edited by HGMonaro; 06-22-2009 at 09:49 PM.
06-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for you input but that won't work either. I don't have Twain in this software that I could find. But I finally have it fixed.

What I did was:
removed holder. I laid negatives flat on the scanner bed. Turned off Thumbnails (this was an important step because the scanner software said it couldn't find a document on the document table with thumbnails turned on), then I scanned the whole strip of negatives. And after preview scan, this gave me a whole strip of photos with full frames of each frame and no split frames.

I then used the marque to select just one frame to finish scanning. It worked. I now have a whole frame and photo. It's slow going because I can only scan one frame per scan, but I'm in no hurry. And I'm ordering some film cleaner on Friday to clean these negs up. Also some Edwal no scratch.

Oh and no, that's not me. It's my niece who's been married now for 35 years to the same man.

ratmagiclady, thank you for your help and indurance in trying to get me able to scan these correctly. I appreciate your help also.
06-23-2009, 04:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

that was my next suggestion

good to hear you sorted it out!
06-23-2009, 05:19 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was reading a pdf on specs sort of thing from Epson. It said this scanner would scan up to 8x10 transperancies, so, I figured the only way for it to do that, was placing the transperancy on the bed itself with no adapters. So, then I thought if this is the way, then surely it would scan a strip of negatives the same way.
06-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just came in to tell you that 35mm wasn't. It was/is 127mm. So, that's why it wouldn't scan in the adapter correctly. Now I'm going to attempt to make a bracket/adapter for this film. I have one for medium format, and one for slides but I don't have one for 110 or 127.

This film is called Kodak Safety film. Anyone heard of it?
06-24-2009, 04:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

they probably printed that on every Kodak film since they changed from nitrate film bases. It probably has a code on it somewhere.
06-24-2009, 05:05 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh, ok, I didn't realize the significance of those words. Makes sense now. And yes, there are some numbers there as well.

Well, there are birds playing outside my window, gotta go.