Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
Inactive Account

AF assist beam for K10D

I was wondering if there's such a device that is just the Af assist beam that would go on the K10D...But also have a hot shoe attach on top of it so I could put my wireless transmitter on it...

When shooting in low light...Because otherwise I have to use optical slaves and aim the on camera flash up...Which bounces light around that I don't want to bounce...

Any ideas or such devices?

06-23-2009, 12:56 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I"ve used torches and even a headlight (for your head not a car) when I was chasing possums in almost complete darkness. Now I use a Bowen flash which has a red light on the front. The camera latches onto that pretty quick as it gives a cross-hatch pattern. Found it on Ebay a couple of years ago for about $60.
06-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Nvision_Ink Quote
I was wondering if there's such a device that is just the Af assist beam that would go on the K10D...But also have a hot shoe attach on top of it so I could put my wireless transmitter on it...

When shooting in low light...Because otherwise I have to use optical slaves and aim the on camera flash up...Which bounces light around that I don't want to bounce...

Any ideas or such devices?
I haven't seen one and would be interested if you find one.
06-29-2009, 02:54 AM   #4

I made this....

i posted more details in the accessories forum

06-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

senseriffic, how well does that work out for you? Typically LEDs are bright in the sense that they can be seen from far away, however they are less effective at illuminating objects than flashlights are.
06-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

There are actually LEDs now that have a rating of 1W to upto 5W or more.
These are the ones you will find in super bright flashlights that usually sees action in a gun.
These LEDs are brighter than your typical flashlight bulb.
You can buy these at radioshack too or any other electronic supply store.
There are also regular LEDs that project a good sized light since they have magnifying lens on front of the LED itself.
They also come in different sizes apart from the usual size that you recognize them in.