Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

DSLR Backpacks

I've been shopping for one. I've been thinking about getting a Lowepro Flipside and was wondering if anyone had one and how it's working out for them.

Any other suggestions? Definitely want something that is weather resistant or water proof.

06-25-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Whatever you buy, look into a product called Nikwax...it will improve the water resistance of any bag ten-fold...won't eliminate design flaws which let water soak through stitching or along straps and such. But it's a product I have used on my pack gear and deck chair cushions for ages...and it works.

As for waterproof...no bag is going to be fully waterproof w/o a rain cover and an inner lining that is separate from the outer shell. Some come very close but none can claim perfection. I prefer the National Geographic line of bags because of their hemp-cotton canvas outer shell, excellent straps and padding. The outer shell takes to Nikwax very well and looks really nice...cleans up well also.

Other brands are equally as good or better...but for me, well, it's NattyG so I gotta have it!! hehehehe...

EDIT: Oh, YKK high quality zippers are GREAT and really durable so that is a thing to watch for in a bag, at least in my opinion.. Bags with flaps over an external pouch are also a good option as they help block water from splashing on the zipper which can be a "hidden" weak spot for water seepage.
06-27-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'll have to check out that wax.
06-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the lowepro slingshot 3 and love it. It has a built in "rain cover" that works well. Have not tried it in an extended downpour (If I'm out in a downpour my rain poncho is on over the backpack) but it has done well in showers.

NaCl(if I even think it may rain I bring my poncho)H2O

06-27-2009, 07:22 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Been looking at those slingshots. I tend to feel awkward with the one-strap backpacks on, but there have been a few that I don't mind. (Speaking from school experience.) Of course these aren't the 10 dollar ones that I would use for school heh.

I really like the theory behind the Flipside with the opening being against your back because I live just outside Wash DC and if I'm in the City it would be nice to have that little extra security. Unfortunately the Flipside only seems to have room for lenses and cameras. But I guess I could just hold like some power bars or something in one of the empty lens holders.

Been trying to find a photography shop near me with an extensive bag section so I can try some on and get close up looks at them. Gonna check one or two out today that are semi-close to me.
06-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've got a Tenba for sale in the marketplace.
Tenba Large Shootout
06-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggsinator Quote
I've been shopping for one. I've been thinking about getting a Lowepro Flipside and was wondering if anyone had one and how it's working out for them.

Any other suggestions? Definitely want something that is weather resistant or water proof.
I am using Flipside 300. I like it much better than my Slingshot 100. I bought Flipside with intention to use it as cabin baggage during my trip to Australia. However I liked it so much that I don't use Slingshot anymore...
06-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
emr

I have a Flipside 400, but I have to say that I have never ever really carried it anywhere. If full of lenses, it'll be fairly heavy. I actually bought it mostly just to store my stuff. The structure is of pretty good quality, but I'm not sure how well the flipping concept would work in practice. The zipper is a bit uncomfortable as it's somehow "deep" and opening it isn't all that fast. I believe the backpack also has a rain cover built-in, but as you may guess I haven't used it that much in the house.

06-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I have the Flipside 200 and I wish I would have gotten a bigger one. By the time I put in my camera, a lens and cleaning stuff, it's full. I probably have room for one more lens. If I was to buy more, I'd definitely need a bigger bag. I got it because of the safety of how it opens. It's a great durable bag.
06-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildnsyko Quote
I have the Flipside 200 and I wish I would have gotten a bigger one. By the time I put in my camera, a lens and cleaning stuff, it's full. I probably have room for one more lens. If I was to buy more, I'd definitely need a bigger bag. I got it because of the safety of how it opens. It's a great durable bag.
Yeah, went and looked at them today. 200 seemed pretty small. 400 seemed big. And 300 seemed like a pretty even size. Wish the 300 had the weather cover too but only the 400 does.
06-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #11

I've got the Lowepro Slingbag 200. It fits a lot of gear. I sometimes wish I had the 300 or 350 but can only imagine how uncomfortable it would be loaded and carried on a trek. My 200 gets on my nerves with the lopsidedness of the single strap.

When you do look at backpacks, try to find one that has some type of suspension straps. I also have a Quantaray laptop/camera backpack that isn't comfortable when loaded. My old Swiss Army laptop backpack has straps that make it feel lighter, wish I had them on my q-ray.
06-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #12
Forum Member

I have a Quantaray QR-W28 Camera Backpack that I love to death. Its not large or bulky but it fits all three of my pentax camera's (ZX50, *IST D, K100D super) a quantaray 70-300mm marco, quantaray 28-90mm, pentax DA18-55, and a Sigma 70-210mm lenses. I love it to death and it was only $70. I also keep filters, a flash, all the cables for all the camera's, a cleaning kit, film, some buisness cards, extra batterys, A card reader, and a few other odds and ends in the bag.

I also have a Tamrac 5371 that I keep my Olympus E-420 in with the 18-42mm kit lens and a 40-180mm lens as well as all the cables, chargers, and software for it.

The tamrac is a smaller more convinent pack but is limited in space. I like the build quality of the Quantaray much better FWIW
06-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #13

FWIW, I like my Lowepro Fastpack 200. Carries my K10D + a small complement of lenses, external flash, and miscellaneous stuff. Proper backpack straps for comfort, but it's still swift and easy to swing around and take out camera + mounted lens. Upper pocket holds a variety of stuff since it's not designed specifically for lenses. And the flap over the main cavity/zippers clips closed, which makes it difficult to access the fully open cavity (though the flap, even closed, still allows easy access to the body + mounted lens, as when one flips it around to pull out the camera).

The 200 is mid-size. They make a smaller 100 series and a larger 300 series. If the model ends in 50, e.g. 2250, 350, that means it also has a laptop sleeve/pocket.
06-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Whatever you buy, look into a product called Nikwax...it will improve the water resistance of any bag ten-fold...won't eliminate design flaws which let water soak through stitching or along straps and such. But it's a product I have used on my pack gear and deck chair cushions for ages...and it works.

As for waterproof...no bag is going to be fully waterproof w/o a rain cover and an inner lining that is separate from the outer shell. Some come very close but none can claim perfection. I prefer the National Geographic line of bags because of their hemp-cotton canvas outer shell, excellent straps and padding. The outer shell takes to Nikwax very well and looks really nice...cleans up well also.

Other brands are equally as good or better...but for me, well, it's NattyG so I gotta have it!! hehehehe...

EDIT: Oh, YKK high quality zippers are GREAT and really durable so that is a thing to watch for in a bag, at least in my opinion.. Bags with flaps over an external pouch are also a good option as they help block water from splashing on the zipper which can be a "hidden" weak spot for water seepage.
i also luv the national geo line. they carry the weight so well.
06-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #15

Riggs! Get to da chopppaarrgh! How do you like your new slingshot 200? Like I explained to you. I had that for a day and then switched to a simple shoulder bag (Crumpler 5 Mill) for street photography and travelling. Eventually I will get a nice backpack (Gear/clothing or lunch options) for treks.

Enjoy it!!