Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
m series manual?

Hello, I was wondering if and how I can shoot using my SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 on my k20d. I know to put it in manual mode, but can I adjust the shudder speed and apature manually as well? I dont want the shudder speed chosen automatically. Thank you

06-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #2

Original Poster
1. Install lens.
2. Turn on camera
3. Confirm focal length of lens (85)
4. Go to pp 129 of Manual. Get description of the various settings available and procedures for selection.
5. Set "M" mode
6. Determine appropriate DOF and set aperture of lens
7. Manually focus on subject
8. Press green button to set shutter speed to fit lens setting.
9. Press shutter button to take photos

This is what I read. Is there a different way instead of pressing the green button to automatically set the shudder speed, to set both shudder and apature myself?
06-26-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iasonis Quote
Hello, I was wondering if and how I can shoot using my SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 on my k20d. I know to put it in manual mode, but can I adjust the shudder speed and apature manually as well? I dont want the shudder speed chosen automatically. Thank you
You passed right by the sticky on your way into this forum. Give this a read then see if you still have any questions.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html
06-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #4

Original Poster
Ack, i missed it. Yes this answered all of my questions, thanks alot m8

06-26-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ack, i missed it. Yes this answered all of my questions, thanks alot m8
You are quite welcome. An awful lot of us get vectored to that sticky when we first get here. I know I needed it. Enjoy.
07-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
Forum Member

1. Install lens.
2. Turn on camera
3. Confirm focal length of lens (85)
4. Go to pp 129 of Manual. Get description of the various settings available and procedures for selection.
5. Set "M" mode
6. Determine appropriate DOF and set aperture of lens
7. Manually focus on subject
8. Press green button to set shutter speed to fit lens setting.
9. Press shutter button to take photos

This is what I read. Is there a different way instead of pressing the green button to automatically set the shudder speed, to set both shudder and apature myself?
Ok, I'm confused. Why would you set at 50 mm lens to 85 focal lenth?
07-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

You wouldn't. Perhaps the person who posted that had previously written up those instructions for an 85mm lens and then just copied and pasted it here? Or maybe it was a page reference, not a focal length reference? Or perhaps he was thinking about the crop factor? But if so, a) the crop factor (1.5X compared to "full frame") should have yielded a result of 75, not 85 and b) crop factor does not change the actual focal length - a 50mm lens is a 50mm lens, and that's what you should tell the SR system you have mounted. Crop fctors are only relevant when trying to compare the field of view of the lens between digital and film, and has no bearing whatsoever on anything except those comparisons.
07-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
Forum Member

Thanks for clearing that up. I was thinking he meant the crop factor and messed up the math