Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #1

Help! Best way to shoot a motion shot?

I've got a model I'm shooting in the water and I've always had trouble catching the shot where a woman throws her hair back from the water and the water comes cascading in an arc.

I have a Pentax K20d and CANNOT find the correct setting to make this happen. My lens is the basic 18-55 mm which is what I'm stuck with for a while.

Would a different lens help this shot out?

How can I catch it with what I've got?

06-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #2

probably a good idea to post a photo as a starting point.
06-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Practice, my friend, practice. Another lens won't help. A flash will help. You need the fast light burst from a flash to freeze the water, or, without flash to show some movement, you'll need to experiment to find out the exact shutter speed that will show movement in the flying water droplets without having a blurred model. I find it easier to use flash in subdued lighting. Good luck with your experimentation.
06-27-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try setting your camera to TaV which will allow you then to set the shutter speed and the aperture of the lens to vary your DOF (depth of field) while the camera will automatically set the ISO to suit. Probably a shutter speed of 500/second and aperture of 8 to give you more DOF.

This should freeze the action and give you pretty good focus, if not raise the shutter speed to 750/second and try a few more shots. It's all practice and trial and error til you get the perfect shot.

06-27-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Damn Brit

You could always have her shake her head from side to side instead of back and then take a few shots to increase your chances.
06-27-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I'd say you will likely have problms as long as you think in terms of "finding the right setting" rather than learning what combination of aperture, shutter speed, and ISO - the only settings that ever really matter. Once you realize the key to this or just about any other shot is figuring out what aperture and shutter speed you want and how to get them, you'll be well on your way.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 06-28-2009 at 08:57 AM.
06-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will have to learn the delay time between when you see the model move and the time the shutter actually fires. This comes solely with practise. It differs slightly between camera models as well. The practise need not be with the model in the water - any movement with a decisive time will allow you to get the timing right. T-ball might be where you could start. You have no worries about focus distance, just getting the timing right when the little ones swing. After you have practised for a while you will feel the time to press the release.
06-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you are thinking about how they do it in advertising, then all you have to do is take a lot of shots.
Believe me when I say a lot of shots.
Be it for print or for a TV ad, the director or photographer repeats the shot over and over again even if the talent/model gets tired.
The key here is that they are being payed and with advertsing, they are being payed a lot too so, they cannot complain.
Even if the shot already looks good, the Director would still insist on a couple more shots as a fallback or safety shots.
Not to burst your bubble but, what you see in print and TV aren't done with just a couple of shots.

06-30-2009, 07:20 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Like others have said, practice is key. A flash is a must. Even if it is the built in one as last resort. You can start with Tv (shutter priority) at 1/180 with flash. That's the fastest you can go using flash. Let the camera set the aperture and ISO. That would be your starting point. From there you can see where to go in speed, ISO and aperture.
Also, beware of the distance to your subject. Flash output is limited in range.
Experiment and have fun...

Thanks,
06-30-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Shooting action

You'll need a high shutter speed. Aperture and ISO will be whatever it takes to get a correct exposure at the selected shutter speed.

You might try turning off autofocus and focusing manually. SR, too. Both of these introduce shutter lag; a delay between the time you press the shutter release button and when the shutter actually fires. With a high shutter speed, SR isn't an issue. Since you said she is a model, you can have her stand still while you focus. Then, when you're ready, have her do her thing.
07-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you so much!
07-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by irelandswind Quote
Thank you so much!
I hope he got his shot!
From his reply, I would think he got it!
That's another happy camper!