Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K200D and studio flash

Sorry if this is redundant. I just haven't found anything specific in the manual or anywhere else. What I'm asking here is whether I would be doing anything wrong with the following.

The strobes in question are Alien Bees B800s, which I plan to hard sync one and slave the other off the first.

Garden variety non-dedicated hot shoe to PC adapter.

Manually set ISO.

Set white balance to "flash." The manual list that specifically for the on board unit, but the color temp is close enough.

Set camera to manual, dial in aperture setting from flash meter and set the shutter at 180 or below.

Then use as any other camera, tweaking exposure and lighting ratios as needed.

Do I have anything wrong or omitted?

Thanks,
Charles

06-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Looks right to me.
07-02-2009, 03:00 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I'm not sure about this but the PTTL might present a problem with it's preflash triggering your strobes. The "Garden variety non-dedicated hot shoe to PC adapter" will most likely send that first signal out to fire the flash while it's the second signal that should be used. I know that I had a problem using a "Garden Variety" slave trigger because of this. Wein makes (& I now own) a slave trigger that delays the "fire the flash" signal until the second flash of the PTTL.

Maybe someone can correct or confirm my idea?
07-02-2009, 05:54 AM   #4
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
I'm not sure about this but the PTTL might present a problem with it's preflash triggering your strobes. The "Garden variety non-dedicated hot shoe to PC adapter" will most likely send that first signal out to fire the flash while it's the second signal that should be used. I know that I had a problem using a "Garden Variety" slave trigger because of this. Wein makes (& I now own) a slave trigger that delays the "fire the flash" signal until the second flash of the PTTL.

Maybe someone can correct or confirm my idea?
He is planning to hard sync with a cable. There is only 1 signal.
As opposed to optical triggers that use light and not signal, with pttl there is 2 flashes so 2 signals. but this is not an issue when using a cable to trigger.

07-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
He is planning to hard sync with a cable. There is only 1 signal.
As opposed to optical triggers that use light and not signal, with pttl there is 2 flashes so 2 signals. but this is not an issue when using a cable to trigger.
As far as I know, the K200D does not have a PC socket (at least my wife's doesn't). He is syncing from a hot shoe adapter (Garden Variety - his words). The hot shoe most definately fires the metering flash and then the exposure flash. This is how the dedicated external PTTL flashes work. Unless the Alien Bees can accomodate or ignore the PTTL signal flash, I forsee a problem.
07-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
As far as I know, the K200D does not have a PC socket (at least my wife's doesn't). He is syncing from a hot shoe adapter (Garden Variety - his words). The hot shoe most definately fires the metering flash and then the exposure flash. This is how the dedicated external PTTL flashes work. Unless the Alien Bees can accomodate or ignore the PTTL signal flash, I forsee a problem.
It fires once, the pttl is done via the extra contacts on the shoe, the pc sync adapter has only the center pin. If you put a non pentax dedicated flash on the k200d it will not fire twice...
07-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
It fires once, the pttl is done via the extra contacts on the shoe, the pc sync adapter has only the center pin. If you put a non pentax dedicated flash on the k200d it will not fire twice...
You are correct. I just made some time and dug out my wife's camera and an old (el cheapo) flash. I mounted the flash on the camera, set it to TV, set the shutter speed to 160 and tried it. It did sync correctly. That means that the set up described initially should work fine. I was wrong, but I learned something about PTTL. Thanks.
07-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all.

I'm surprised that Pentax doesn't really touch on that in their manual, since it is so basic. I took a quick read of the K20d PDF and didn't find it there either, which is odd considering that model does have a standard sync socket. Is it assumed to be common knowledge?
I'm coming from way behind the curve, having never used autofocus SLRs and rarely the AE in the cameras (OM2n, OM2s) that had it. Before that, I'd used Pentaxes since '72, but all Spotmatic and earlier. So it would be nice if they covered that first, then on to the bells and whistles.
Charles