Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2009, 03:27 AM   #1

photographing models/people

So far I've only photographed myself, until I get to the point when I feel comfortable that I'll get really good pictures from models/friends.

I need some help on the lightning, I have one spotlight which creates quite the shadows, but sometimes I like a little shadow. But the question is, where to I place it without blinding the model and without shadowing half her face? I always prefer natural light, but if I use some kind of studio or indoors, how should I use the light the best?

Here are some photographs I've so far taken. the two first ones are with my 18-55mm, because it has autofocus(it's really hard to take pictures of yourself with manual focus, when noones there to focus for you)

here you can see, that it overshadows half of my face.

here it just makes my face really pale.

Here I didn't use the spotlight, only natural light, but here I used an old lens that was kind of crappy.

natural light again, with my 50mm

Pleaase pentaxians help me

06-30-2009, 04:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you're trying to reduce the shadows from the spotlight, use a reflector. Put it on the opposite side of the light and angle it so it fills in some of the shadows. (btw dramatic shadows aren't such a bad thing sometimes - certain people seem obsessed with doing away with any shadows on the face doing portraiture - but often times a portrait with shadows can be much more dramatic and compelling)

You can always build a makeshift diffuser - use some thin sheets stretched over a frame and stick it in front of the light... or aim the light away from the subject and reflect it - (like off one of those white walls you got there) instead of directly lighting the subject with it.

oh, and check out strobist. The techniques used there could be applied with any light sources, not just small flashes like they concentrate on. Check out his archive, "Lighting 101" and "Lighting 102"
06-30-2009, 05:36 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
If you're trying to reduce the shadows from the spotlight, use a reflector. Put it on the opposite side of the light and angle it so it fills in some of the shadows. (btw dramatic shadows aren't such a bad thing sometimes - certain people seem obsessed with doing away with any shadows on the face doing portraiture - but often times a portrait with shadows can be much more dramatic and compelling)

You can always build a makeshift diffuser - use some thin sheets stretched over a frame and stick it in front of the light... or aim the light away from the subject and reflect it - (like off one of those white walls you got there) instead of directly lighting the subject with it.

oh, and check out strobist. The techniques used there could be applied with any light sources, not just small flashes like they concentrate on. Check out his archive, "Lighting 101" and "Lighting 102"
Oh I know, I don't have anything against shadows on portaits, but sometimes it better without. Thanks for the tips.

Also feel free to comment/critisize the photos

Last edited by Jean-Baptiste; 06-30-2009 at 01:46 PM.