Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2009, 05:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NothingInCommon Quote
my only regret.. and i know you guys will think its silly.. is the fact that they dont include the pop up flash on the 5Dm2 like they do the d700

i think its great to have for moments when you just was to use a quick flash
never used the pop flash for any shot I cared about...it's nice to have when just doing the snapshot thing, but I have a cheap old P&S for that...you will really enjoy the 5D MkII...beautiful body. Do update the firmware as there were some issues early on, or was the the 50D, I forget but worth checking.

Do get nice fast glass as to really take advantage of the FF and sensor it needs better glass to see the true difference.

Also, the 'environmental/weather sealing' on the 5D MkII is not very robust compared to other 'pro' bodies, so be cautious and research that a bit before exposing it to the elements too harsh for the sealing.

And btw, FF is no more complicated than a crop/sub-frame sensor DSLR...if you have not found it there is a great dedicated Canon forum called Photography-on-the.net with tons of good info as well as nice folks.

Enjoy your choice!!

07-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
For the price and size the 24-70 is surprisingly unsharp. I didn't realize that until recently but having seen several examples it appears to be consistently true. That is why I went with 24-105 for my Canon system. I agree with you that if you're not going to match "L" glass to the mkII you bought into the wrong system.

The only flash that Canon makes that can be used as wireless commander is the 580. The EX designation would appear to indicate that the new flash can be fired remotely from a 580 but I would be shocked if it could operate as a commander
Right...the 580EX or EX II are the only Canon branded flashes which will function as a 'master' and control other slave flashes. One needs to check the flash intended as a slave to see if it will operate in that mode or not. Best option is a 580EX II and a 430EX II if one wants two flashes.

One caveat is the control is not RF but only IR so there are some potential limitations in the remote ability. That is where the whole Pocket Wizard and like devices come into play and then things get costly quickly at around $200/flash just to get it off camera wirelessly with remote config control for each flash as well as, or via, the master. I opted for some generic 'ghetto triggers' from eBay that work fine for my basic needs...not perfect but then again < $50 including shipping to fire up to four flashes off camera....but no ETTL/ETTL-II control, all the flashes must be set manually.
07-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
the mkII is an awesome camera at a nice size and weight for FF IMHO. Its the Canon lens lineup that is the weak point. In the "normal zoom" range they have 17-40, 24-105 and 24-70. The 17-40 and 24-70 both have a bad reputation and cost a lot (especially 24-70) while the 24-105 is the ONLY one in the range with IS but it is an F4 lens instead of F2.8. Pentax 16-50 sits on my camera most of the time, produces better images than Canon and has stabilization. And have you seen how big those lenses are? I still can't figure out why the Tamron 28-75 produces better images than Canon 24-70 but its only HALF the physical size

Once you get out of those normal zooms Canon makes some nice glass... but YIKES - you gotta pay for it.
actually, the MK II is heavy and bulky for me (with or without the lens). sure it catches a lot of attention and thus deserves the attention for what it is. but for my personal use, coupled by it's heavy lenses, those are just too much baggage weight for me to carry. and I don't usually bring 1 or two lenses. let's just say that I'm only a medium lightweight person who loves to bring a lot of equipment. I would certainly appreciate light materials for carry.
07-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #19
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NothingInCommon Quote
I had purchased the K20D and ended up cancelling the order. I felt weird about building a pentax lens collection when I could get one of the big two and know ill always have an upgrade path. I thought.. well if I ever wanted full frame I could just sell my K20D and lens collection.

Instead I just when all out and bought a brand new 5D mark 2. I know you guys will laugh since im a newb and its too much camera for me, but whatever.. I am happy.. now I just need to order the right all purpose lens for my beautiful 5D m2
And you felt compelled to post that on the Pentax forum because......................................???????????????????????

07-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
And you felt compelled to post that on the Pentax forum because......................................???????????????????????
gonna back up the OP here...we both found the Pentax Forums at about the same time and the OP was pretty excited about moving to Pentax. We exchanged posts about it on a thread I think I began. So, I don't think it's a case of someone just trying to stir things up a bit. And even so, why bite the hook if it was?
07-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
He is just one more lemming following the pack off the cliff
07-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #22
Pentaxian

While I'm sure the 5D is an outstanding camera, I have a bag full of FD lenses that contradict what seems to be the primary reason the OP cited for selecting it.

Paul

07-04-2009, 11:21 AM   #23
Banned

I always chuckle when people complain about the lack of an 'upgrade path' with Pentax.... what is that anyway? how the heck do you know what you will need in the future? how do you know what Pentax will or will not have? the 5D is a great camera, enjoy it in good health my friend. and enjoy those lenses you will want but cant afford.
07-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
Im really struggling now, you guys don't know how awesome you have it with the in body shake reduction..

this lens IS is bullcrap.. they charge like an extra $300- $500 for it..

all canons great lenses are $1300 - $2000 and even alot of those dont have IS..
07-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

what's not working? Which lens and what are ya shooting? A lot of folks have probs with "the brick" (if you grabbed the 24-70L) at first getting used to the DOF and a FF body.

The 24-105 is not a bad lens either...like any system you have to give it time to become accustom to it's 'quirks mode' which always seems to kick in when you want the shot the most. My 77mm was making me insane at first...now I have it dialed in pretty good.

But if you have any questions, rather than see ya be unhappy someone should be able to help w/o being too snarky...hehehehe...but you knoooow, it is gonna happen. Feel free to PM if you don't want to post it here.

If you bought the 5D MkII you did buy a great body and honestly the way FF handles high ISO you can really push the limits to keep shutter speed high enough to not need IS for most shots. But there are tons of factors...just as with any line-up...if you really are struggling put it in AV mode or even Tv and set ISO to auto to get a bit of help.
07-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Yeah, its kind of like learning how to drive an Indy car...big learning curve to get them to sing
You'll be alright, just lots of practice!
07-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Niki Quote
Yeah, its kind of like learning how to drive an Indy car...big learning curve to get them to sing
You'll be alright, just lots of practice!
hmmmm...were you listening to my phone call earlier today? The better 2/3's and I were talking about her watching the Tour de France and seeing the doc administer to a rider with a gash while he was still riding...we compared it to washing the window on an Indy car... hehehehe...

And ya know, I think we need to call it an "assimilation curve" rather than learning curve? hehehehe...sorry sometimes I just crack myself up.
07-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
what's not working? Which lens and what are ya shooting? A lot of folks have probs with "the brick" (if you grabbed the 24-70L) at first getting used to the DOF and a FF body.

The 24-105 is not a bad lens either...like any system you have to give it time to become accustom to it's 'quirks mode' which always seems to kick in when you want the shot the most. My 77mm was making me insane at first...now I have it dialed in pretty good.

But if you have any questions, rather than see ya be unhappy someone should be able to help w/o being too snarky...hehehehe...but you knoooow, it is gonna happen. Feel free to PM if you don't want to post it here.

If you bought the 5D MkII you did buy a great body and honestly the way FF handles high ISO you can really push the limits to keep shutter speed high enough to not need IS for most shots. But there are tons of factors...just as with any line-up...if you really are struggling put it in AV mode or even Tv and set ISO to auto to get a bit of help.
Well, when I was considering pentax lenses I never even thought of IS. Now its something I have to consider.

In order to get great glass to cover what I want to do I need about $4000.

I really want the 85mm 1.2 for portraits but its about $1800. I dont understand how prime lenses can be so expensive, given the raw materials required to make them are most likely far less $$ than that of a zoom lens..

For now I just bought the cheap 50mm f1.8, while I consider serious lenses..

I think ill end up getting the 70-200mm f/2.8L USM IS, that will set me back about $1600

Then im left with no wide angle.. I want the 16-35mm f2.8L ..another $1400

I suppose I should consider non L lenses but its hard to , you want to be able to get the most out of your FF camera, you know?
07-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
hmmmm...were you listening to my phone call earlier today? The better 2/3's and I were talking about her watching the Tour de France and seeing the doc administer to a rider with a gash while he was still riding...we compared it to washing the window on an Indy car... hehehehe...

And ya know, I think we need to call it an "assimilation curve" rather than learning curve? hehehehe...sorry sometimes I just crack myself up.
thats too funny, Brecklundin!

NothingInCommon, Ive heard the Canon cheap 50mm isn't too bad, I don't think it has IS, but it should be a lot of fun to play with!

Don't feel too badly, all I have is an inexpensive K100D, with one prime and two inexpensive zooms.
One day, I say....one day...