Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
Forum Member

Noob update..sorry pentaxians

I had purchased the K20D and ended up cancelling the order. I felt weird about building a pentax lens collection when I could get one of the big two and know ill always have an upgrade path. I thought.. well if I ever wanted full frame I could just sell my K20D and lens collection.

Instead I just when all out and bought a brand new 5D mark 2. I know you guys will laugh since im a newb and its too much camera for me, but whatever.. I am happy.. now I just need to order the right all purpose lens for my beautiful 5D m2

06-30-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great, now you can take pride in knowing you'll get inferior optics, overpriced bodies and accessories, your very own dedicated magazines, and all the chicks you can shake a stick at.

No, just kidding. That's an awesome camera. Wish I had one! If you got it for a good price, I don't blame you for going Canon. If it was regular price, I hope you'll get your money's worth.
06-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am happy you’re happy. I am sure you will learn to be a good photographer if you work at it given time.

Question: If you can afford a FF camera and all those FF IS Canon L lenses to go with it why are you concerned about upgrade paths and how much you could get selling one system to change to a new system?

DAZ
06-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Great, now you can take pride in knowing you'll get inferior optics, overpriced bodies and accessories, your very own dedicated magazines, and all the chicks you can shake a stick at.

No, just kidding. That's an awesome camera. Wish I had one! If you got it for a good price, I don't blame you for going Canon. If it was regular price, I hope you'll get your money's worth.
dude.. i love pentax.. I was set on getting the k20D or k7.. but I had a 10%coupon from best buy and thought.. crap.. with their 0% interest deals... it doesnt work out to too much.. so I went crazy..

06-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
my only regret.. and i know you guys will think its silly.. is the fact that they dont include the pop up flash on the 5Dm2 like they do the d700

i think its great to have for moments when you just was to use a quick flash
06-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

if you made that choice I am sure you know what you need .

its easy in this world to want a lot of things , I almost every day thinking if I want to get a new system.. Olympus, Leica., what not ...at the end for me Pentax always wins.

I for example don't have money problems tu tu tu ( meaning I could afford a 5D MKII ) instead I choose to buy more Pentax lenses . why?... BC that is the system that works for me.
I know I will miss the Ltd's , I will miss taking my whole kit in one tiny bag .
I will miss the Pentax community , the PPG , the rumors
with Canon I am pretty much know what I am getting

Pentax . hoya , samsung are still a mystery about what they are going to bring to the table (for good or bad)

mean while I am getting an SLR that is small enough for my street work but pro enough for most of my other photo projects

so for me its still pentax ... I still love the new olymous thou
06-30-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations! A fine tool is a fine tool, regardless of the label on the front. The top-shelf Canon and Nikon products are well-worth owning, especially if you can afford the top-shelf optics to go with them. With any luck you will be able to build a kit to complement your new body and get some great photos!

Steve

06-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #8
Damn Brit

Good luck, I hope you find a Canon forum to help you learn to get the best out of your camera.
06-30-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, all the best in your journey.
Great cam - enjoy spending your money on your glass...
Not sure I get your argument about your cam upgrading ability with the lenses, though.
The future can never be told, and any big company can go bust for whatever reason, but Pentax prides itself on lens and body compatibility.
07-01-2009, 05:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NothingInCommon Quote
my only regret.. and i know you guys will think its silly.. is the fact that they dont include the pop up flash on the 5Dm2 like they do the d700

i think its great to have for moments when you just was to use a quick flash
I should think that anyone with a camera like that wouldn't want to be caught dead using a pop-up flash.
07-01-2009, 07:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I should think that anyone with a camera like that wouldn't want to be caught dead using a pop-up flash.
LOL!
07-01-2009, 08:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

goodluck dude. hope that the weight and size of the MKII wouldn't be a bother to you in the future.
07-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
goodluck dude. hope that the weight and size of the MKII wouldn't be a bother to you in the future.
the mkII is an awesome camera at a nice size and weight for FF IMHO. Its the Canon lens lineup that is the weak point. In the "normal zoom" range they have 17-40, 24-105 and 24-70. The 17-40 and 24-70 both have a bad reputation and cost a lot (especially 24-70) while the 24-105 is the ONLY one in the range with IS but it is an F4 lens instead of F2.8. Pentax 16-50 sits on my camera most of the time, produces better images than Canon and has stabilization. And have you seen how big those lenses are? I still can't figure out why the Tamron 28-75 produces better images than Canon 24-70 but its only HALF the physical size

Once you get out of those normal zooms Canon makes some nice glass... but YIKES - you gotta pay for it.
07-01-2009, 10:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Good luck, to each their own. The only reason that 5D would be considered 'too much camera' when K20D would not would be if the cost difference was irresponsible spending for the purchaser. Both are full-featured and require the same amount of ability to use properly.

As for standard zooms (and a counterpoint for some of what kunik was saying) for FF I wouldn't really consider 17-40/4 a standard zoom, and I hadn't heard about a bad rep. for 17-40/4 or (the massive) 24-70/2.8. I will agree that the Canon package will be bulkier than a comparable Pentax package--though DA17-70/4 is not tiny it is considerably smaller than a comparable 24-105/4.

Canon has additional lenses that may be appropriate standard zoom for full-frame like 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS, 24-85/3.5-4.5 or even 28-105/3.5-4.5--the last two would be relatively compact and light compared to most of the other choices mentioned as possible choices for lighter-weight travel in good light.

I would be careful when shopping for any of these as so many of the posted tests are shot using crop-sensor cameras. While the Tamron 28-75/2.8 enjoys a good reputation on smaller sensors, it might not be ideal on FF digital. Personally I think the 24-105/4 IS is probably the safest and most practical choice, perhaps supplemented with a couple choice primes for when more speed or more compact size is wanted. If this lens is too expensive, then I would think the 5D is probably the wrong camera.

Canon also has a pretty decent-looking new bounceable compact (bring anywhere) hotshoe flash, the Speedlite 270EX--which though unfortunately I don't believe it functions as a wireless commander--is pretty much what the AF-200FG *should* have been.
07-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote

I would be careful when shopping for any of these as so many of the posted tests are shot using crop-sensor cameras. While the Tamron 28-75/2.8 enjoys a good reputation on smaller sensors, it might not be ideal on FF digital. Personally I think the 24-105/4 IS is probably the safest and most practical choice, perhaps supplemented with a couple choice primes for when more speed or more compact size is wanted. If this lens is too expensive, then I would think the 5D is probably the wrong camera.

Canon also has a pretty decent-looking new bounceable compact (bring anywhere) hotshoe flash, the Speedlite 270EX--which though unfortunately I don't believe it functions as a wireless commander--is pretty much what the AF-200FG *should* have been.
For the price and size the 24-70 is surprisingly unsharp. I didn't realize that until recently but having seen several examples it appears to be consistently true. That is why I went with 24-105 for my Canon system. I agree with you that if you're not going to match "L" glass to the mkII you bought into the wrong system.

The only flash that Canon makes that can be used as wireless commander is the 580. The EX designation would appear to indicate that the new flash can be fired remotely from a 580 but I would be shocked if it could operate as a commander