Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Macro Extension Tubes

Maybe I made a mistake.... I bought some generic extension tubes for real cheap. I guess I didn't do enough research, though because I don't think they provide any electrical connection from lens to camera. Here's the problem, I only have one lens with an aperture ring (Tamron 70-300 ). Can I use it with the SMC DA 16-45? Is there a way to use the tubes with a lens without an aperture ring?

Hmmmmm.... glad I didn't pay too much.

06-30-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
Damn Brit

You can use a lens without an aperture ring but only at the aperture it is fixed at when off the camera which is going to be the smallest that the lens can go to.
Get yourself an old MF 50mm lens to use with the extension tubes. You need to MF anyway and it will have an aperture ring.
06-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just for fun I tried taking a macro shot just now with my 16-45mm and a contact-less tube. Had to use bulb mode and with the aperture at 22 trying to find a focus was not fun. No, there was no fun in using that combo. Go back to your lens with a ring.
06-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Just for fun I tried taking a macro shot just now with my 16-45mm and a contact-less tube. Had to use bulb mode and with the aperture at 22 trying to find a focus was not fun. No, there was no fun in using that combo. Go back to your lens with a ring.
He didn't ask if it was fun, just if it could be done.

OP, the extension tubes you have aren't the problem, it's the lenses you have available. A cheap MF prime will be the best solution for you.

06-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Or buy an old lens like a K/M42, 28 mm, an adaptor for reversing the lens.... And then you'll see some nice results.
07-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the help! I guess I'll be looking into a fully manual lens of some sort (50mm or so)

Thanks again!!
07-02-2009, 05:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by octavmandru Quote
Or buy an old lens like a K/M42, 28 mm, an adaptor for reversing the lens.... And then you'll see some nice results.
Even better buy any old cheap brand of lens and get matching reversing ring and use it only for macro. I have a varity of non K-mount lenses that I plan to do this with. jim
07-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #8

I also highly recommend an old Pentax M 50mm lens. I picked up a dandy 50mm f/1.4 on Ebay for $30, and used that with extension tubes (and occasionally a reversing ring) for quite a while--until I found a even dandier Pentax M 100mm dental Macro lens for $100 on the site classifieds here.

Watch out, macro is an addiction! Now I have ring lights, teleconverters, piggyback adaptors, focusing stage, a brand new ring flash.....all for shooting only the occasional fly fishing entomology article.

DAN