Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photographic Equipment Insurance - Canada

Hi folks,

While I'm not exactly new to photography, I'm not really experienced either.

Last night I was taking stock of the equipment both my wife and I have, and found that between the 2 of us, we likely have in the neighbourhood of $10,000 worth of gear!

So my question to anyone that can give answers as pertains to availability in Canada, what options do you recommend to insure this gear?

I've seen advertisements for equipement insurance based in the UK, and I've read one person mention potentially adding the equipment on your house insurance as a rider, but I was wondering what other Canadians do and if they could point me more specifically to my options.

Thanks in advance folks! (EH!)

Radam

07-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RadamFG Quote
Hi folks,

While I'm not exactly new to photography, I'm not really experienced either.

Last night I was taking stock of the equipment both my wife and I have, and found that between the 2 of us, we likely have in the neighbourhood of $10,000 worth of gear!

So my question to anyone that can give answers as pertains to availability in Canada, what options do you recommend to insure this gear?

I've seen advertisements for equipement insurance based in the UK, and I've read one person mention potentially adding the equipment on your house insurance as a rider, but I was wondering what other Canadians do and if they could point me more specifically to my options.

Thanks in advance folks! (EH!)

Radam
I added my equipment to my house insurance. The only issue is the deductable. You may want to reduce it if it is around a $1000. You insurance broker should be able to sort it out.

Last edited by Denis; 07-02-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: spelling
07-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Denis,

Does that cover your equipment when being used in the field?
07-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have a rider on my house insurance as well. Covers everything, at home, and in the field (even if I'm in the canoe and it flips), with no deductable.

Cost is based on the amount of coverage.

07-02-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davek Quote
I have a rider on my house insurance as well. Covers everything, at home, and in the field (even if I'm in the canoe and it flips), with no deductable.

Cost is based on the amount of coverage.
I pay 1.5% of the declared value per year for my coverage - a rider on my house insurance. Deductible $200.
07-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback so far folks, it's looking like house insurance is the likely way to go.

Is there anybody that gives dedicated insurance just to cover the camera gear?