Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yes, I would like to know what settings you use for LightRoom for DNG.

07-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Then you're doing something wrong. I took more than 800 pictures of my daughter since February and there's absolutely no blur on her hair, no artifacts either in any of the pictures.

Btw *** quality setting is using 96-97% jpeg compression quality, that's hardly "too much compression", in fact that is commonly used high quality setting.
No, I'm not doing anything wrong, except that I should have specified ISO 400 and above in my complaint regarding jpg compression. My K100D was better in this regard than my K2000.

Where do you get the figures regarding jpeg compression quality? Comparing compession with Adobe CS4, I would rate Pentax's compression around 80%, as CS4's 10/12 setting appears better to my eyes. Of course, jpeg is not necessarily a fixed algorithm, and perhaps Adobe uses a better one than Pentax.
07-07-2009, 04:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
No, I'm not doing anything wrong, except that I should have specified ISO 400 and above in my complaint regarding jpg compression.
High ISO pictures is a totally different story. I think in that case you see the result of lack of enough light combined with noise and noise reduction. Sure a dark hair not lit by enough light will be noisy and noise reduction will smear it. It just gets even worse at out of focus areas - at high ISO things being out of focus can look much worse. I didn't get really better results with RAW, I could just decide to keep all the noise (you might prefer that if you want all the details) or smear it with noise reduction (and not get really better result than in-camera jpg - might be that I just suck at RAW development).

If there's enough light and noise reduction doesn't smear the hair already (because there's minimal or almost no noise) then I think the jpg output is decent (at least for me). Below are two 100% crops, EXIF was preserved (but looks like the forum engine gets rid of it during attaching...). Not the best ones, but on almost all my high ISO shots the hair is already out of focus, these are the only ones having the hair still more or less in focus I could quickly find.

ISO 640 with little fill flash
Name:  imgp0677.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  39.8 KB

ISO 500 with natural fill light
Name:  imgp0720.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  42.4 KB

QuoteQuote:
My K100D was better in this regard than my K2000.
As Marc used to say: you're comparing apples to oranges. Comparing 6 and 10 MP at 100% is just plain wrong.
07-07-2009, 04:31 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skoobie Quote
On the topic of post-processing, which of the programs mentioned might represent the best balance of initial financial cost/manageable learning curve for rank amateurs /room to grow as one's skills develop?
Raw Therapee, GIMP cost nothing and are also available on Windows platform (beside Linux). If you use Linux then there are also other "free" softwares: DigiKam, Rawstudio, dcraw and others that I don't remember. Just search on "raw" in your package manager and try out all of them. You can also download and use preview version of Bibble 5, but it's not 100% compatible with K-m/K2000 raw (i.e. it may be unable to open some of your raw files).

07-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
High ISO pictures is a totally different story. I think in that case you see the result of lack of enough light combined with noise and noise reduction. Sure a dark hair not lit by enough light will be noisy and noise reduction will smear it. It just gets even worse at out of focus areas - at high ISO things being out of focus can look much worse. I didn't get really better results with RAW, I could just decide to keep all the noise (you might prefer that if you want all the details) or smear it with noise reduction (and not get really better result than in-camera jpg - might be that I just suck at RAW development).

If there's enough light and noise reduction doesn't smear the hair already (because there's minimal or almost no noise) then I think the jpg output is decent (at least for me). Below are two 100% crops, EXIF was preserved (but looks like the forum engine gets rid of it during attaching...). Not the best ones, but on almost all my high ISO shots the hair is already out of focus, these are the only ones having the hair still more or less in focus I could quickly find.

As Marc used to say: you're comparing apples to oranges. Comparing 6 and 10 MP at 100% is just plain wrong.
The only comparison I made between the K100D & K2000 is that I prefer the K100D's jpgs. I didn't say anything about viewing at 100%.

Perhaps I'm giving the wrong impression regarding the K2000's jpg engine: I haven't done enough side-by-side comparisons with other DSLR's to see how it rates, so I can't say that it's "bad", just there is more to be gained with RAW (naturally) and that I prefer the K100D's jpgs.

Also, if I don't nail the exposure while taking the photograph, RAW saves me...
07-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
How do I know what's the status of my warranty is? Is there a warranty card for my K2000, or some kind of form I have to fill out?