Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2009, 12:39 AM   #1

weird ghosting and very bright

What could be the problem i used the camera a month ago with no problems took it out today and with every lens i get the double image the too bright in the sun seems to work okay with the flash though without it it is crazy any ideas what this could be i have only had the camera for about 8 months or so

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
07-03-2009, 01:38 AM   #2

Please upload an unaltered image with all the metadata (exif) intact. That would help us a lot to know what camera settings was used.

In the two images you've posted here exif says that spot metering was used. Spot metering can give a very overexposed or underexposed if not used correctly. On the K20D you'll find the metering modes on the lever under the mode wheel on the top left of your camera. The white marker is now probably placed on the icon that looks like a spot inside a rectangle, that's spot metering mode. Move it back to the green multiple segment metering and you should at least have the metering sorted out.

You should also check that there is no exposure compensation set on the camera. Press the +/- button on the back and move front wheel until the bar at top right in the top lcd screen is right on center and it reads 0.0 at the bottom right of the top lcd screen.
07-03-2009, 02:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is it possible that you accidentally engaged the multiple-exposure method?
07-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

i'm trippin balls here.

07-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The aperture/shutter speed combos shown in the exif don't seem unusual. It looks to me like it got stuck with mirror up and shutter open. You say you hadn't used it in a month - has it been humid? Things might just be gummed up, although that seems unlikely in a new camera...
07-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
Please upload an unaltered image with all the metadata (exif) intact. That would help us a lot to know what camera settings was used.

how do I do that? camera was okay last time I used it no problem.
07-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #7

Original Poster
no it has not been humid, i bought the camera in December maybe taken 300 pics if that

07-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by poppinfizz Quote
Assuming your shooting jpeg, try to upload one of the images at for instance ImageShack® - Image Hosting and post the url for that image here. Upload the original file that came from the camera, and _don't_ process it through Adobe Photoshop or something similar.

If you are shooting raw, you'll either have to convert it to jpeg using Pentax Photo laboratory first, or find a service that will allow you to publish a generic file and just upload the rawfile there.

Also, if you do install (or already have installed) Pentax Photo Browser that came with your camera, you'll be able to read out the settings used to shoot those images by yourself. Just click on the thumbnail and you'll be able to see the settings in the table below the thumbnails. Check what capture mode, metering mode, exposure compensation, multi exposure and shake reduction says.
07-06-2009, 06:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sveinmb Quote
Upload the original file that came from the camera, and _don't_ process it through Adobe Photoshop or something similar.
Not necessary - the exif is there, you just need a plugin. I'm using FxIF in Firefox, there are others for other browsers. With all of them, just right-click and if the exif is available, you can see it. I'm a little surprised it was visible for attached images, but it's there:

First image exif:
Camera Make: PENTAX Corporation
Camera Model: PENTAX K20D
Image Date: 2009:07:04 13:58:38
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 55.0mm (35mm equivalent: 82mm)
Exposure Time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
Aperture: f/9.5
ISO equiv: 100
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Spot

Second image exif:
Camera Make: PENTAX Corporation
Camera Model: PENTAX K20D
Image Date: 2009:07:04 18:45:48
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 55.0mm (35mm equivalent: 82mm)
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO equiv: 100
White Balance: Auto

Just noticed the OP says it works okay with the flash. Could you elaborate? Full flash in fairly dark conditions, or any flash, like fill? I'm thinking that if it is a sticky shutter, it might show up less using full power flash in relatively dark conditions, so perhaps you're just not noticing it.
07-06-2009, 07:08 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
Not necessary - the exif is there, you just need a plugin. I'm using FxIF in Firefox, there are others for other browsers. With all of them, just right-click and if the exif is available, you can see it. I'm a little surprised it was visible for attached images, but it's there:
Wrong. The exif is lacking a lot of pentax specific data. It does not say what program mode was used, what exposure compensation was set to, if multi-exposure was on, if sr was on etc. We'll need to se every camera setting to be sure this is not just user error.
07-07-2009, 02:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EXIF:
Hmm, spot metering
07-07-2009, 02:23 AM   #12
Damn Brit

They would be great shots from a Holga.
07-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Hmm, spot metering
I know spot metering can cause problems, but I really can't see it buggering things up that badly!
07-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
They would be great shots from a Holga.
You are so right!
07-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sveinmb Quote
Wrong. The exif is lacking a lot of pentax specific data. It does not say what program mode was used, what exposure compensation was set to, if multi-exposure was on, if sr was on etc. We'll need to se every camera setting to be sure this is not just user error.
Is there a browser exif plug-in that shows all that? I think the OP will have to find that info and post it, but I've been wildly wrong before... many times...