Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2009, 07:39 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Checking Out My New K20D

I will be getting my new K20D in a couple of days, and just wanted to know if there are any tests or checks for it to be sure the camera is in top condition. I believe the firmware should be upgraded to v1.03. Any known bugs or quality control issues I should check for?

Thanks.

-David

07-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #2

I think it was the MENU button you have to hold, upon powering up the machine, to check the firmware version. If it's not 1.03, you could check out the Pentax site to get it.

Are you getting the stuff delivered to your place, or are you going to pick the stuff up at a store? If it's the latter, I'd check out the package while you're there.
07-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A lot of things surface after you've taken it home and tried out all the different features. If you're getting it new there should be a good returns policy to go with it, as well as warranty in case things fail in the short term.

As sturdy and robust as Pentax dSLRs are, it's still worthwhile ensuring you have these up your sleeve.
07-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I suggest bumping the sharpness up a couple of notches for your initial playing around, the regular setting's a bit conservative for better post, but turning it up should help you get confident you're getting good focus and all.

I have no idea if any K20ds are shipped with the updated firmware, so go ahead and check.

07-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good choice of camera and I hope it all goes well for you.
07-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can check for dirt on the sensor. Set your lens to f22 and take a photo of anything bright and evenly lit. Here in Colorado, I use the cloudless blue sky, but I see you're in Connecticut so you'll need a white wall or ceiling. Then look at the photo full-size on your computer. Any dirt on the sensor will be obvious. Run the cleaning mode a few times and check again. A perfectly clean sensor is nice but not necessary. Big spots that show up at f8 are irritating.
07-04-2009, 02:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
You can check for dirt on the sensor. Set your lens to f22 and take a photo of anything bright and evenly lit. Here in Colorado, I use the cloudless blue sky, but I see you're in Connecticut so you'll need a white wall or ceiling. Then look at the photo full-size on your computer. Any dirt on the sensor will be obvious. Run the cleaning mode a few times and check again. A perfectly clean sensor is nice but not necessary. Big spots that show up at f8 are irritating.
The K20D has a custom function (Dust Alert) to check for dust on the sensor. It's very easy to use and practical.

07-04-2009, 07:13 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mann Quote
Are you getting the stuff delivered to your place, or are you going to pick the stuff up at a store? If it's the latter, I'd check out the package while you're there.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
If you're getting it new there should be a good returns policy to go with it, as well as warranty in case things fail in the short term.

As sturdy and robust as Pentax dSLRs are, it's still worthwhile ensuring you have these up your sleeve.
I picked up the camera through Amazon, so I have to check it out at home (an hope there are no problems. I do think the return policy on Amazon stuff is pretty good, though.

-Davd
07-04-2009, 07:14 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I suggest bumping the sharpness up a couple of notches for your initial playing around, the regular setting's a bit conservative for better post, but turning it up should help you get confident you're getting good focus and all.

I have no idea if any K20ds are shipped with the updated firmware, so go ahead and check.
Thanks for the timpe on sharpness. I'll have to give it a try.
07-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
You can check for dirt on the sensor. Set your lens to f22 and take a photo of anything bright and evenly lit. Here in Colorado, I use the cloudless blue sky, but I see you're in Connecticut so you'll need a white wall or ceiling.
That CT dig hurts Dave, it really hurts.
07-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
The K20D has a custom function (Dust Alert) to check for dust on the sensor. It's very easy to use and practical.
I can't believe I have to do this manually!

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidWasch Quote
That CT dig hurts Dave, it really hurts.
I was just there last week, and I don't think my sneakers dried out until I got back. But it sure was green!
07-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DavidWasch Quote
I will be getting my new K20D in a couple of days, and just wanted to know if there are any tests or checks for it to be sure the camera is in top condition. I believe the firmware should be upgraded to v1.03. Any known bugs or quality control issues I should check for?

Thanks.

-David
I just received my K20D (bought at Amazon also) last week and it had Firmware 1.01 so it needed upgrading. So, yeah, check it. I have found nor read any issues associated with the firmware change. And it is a very painless and easy process...just follow the directions and then the bouncing ball.
07-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #13

Original Poster
Glad to hear you had no problems with Amazon-- nor with the camera.

Tuesday... I only have to wait until Tuesday... (sigh)
07-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #14

Ratmagiclady wrote "I have no idea if any K20ds are shipped with the updated firmware, so go ahead and check". The answer is that the camera will not come with the updated firmware. I just last week took delivery of a K20. I think the firmware was 1.01.
The update was just as smooth as silk!
Ron McDermott