Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2009, 11:06 AM   #1

Dark photos

Hi everyone
I just upgraded from a *ist DS to a K20. I am having a horrible time adjusting. I have to use the flash for any indoor shots regardless of the lighting. I adusted the ISO and that seemed to work a little better. The issue is dark photos inside and out.

Is ther any tut's for a novice?

07-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd say, post some photos with EXIF intact so we can see what setting were used. If you're using the same ISO, aperture, and shutter speed between both cameras, you should be getting around the same exposure. How are you selecting your aperture and shutter speed, or are you letting the camera choose them for you?
07-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
I had the camera on the green button and used a 18-55mm lens. The pics are at the same time just different angles or distance.

here is a good one, might be a little dark.

The first one is in green mode no flash

same setting but taking with the *ist DS
07-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The first shot was made using spot metering. The spot was aimed at the well lit grass. The camera then adjusted exposure to match the well lit grass thus making the shaded foreground much darker.

The second shot was again in spot metering mode and the spot was on the girl's (wearing pink) shoulder which was darker than the background blowing out your highlights. The girl looks for the most part fairly well exposed.

For the third shot see my comments for the first shot.

The fourth shot, again in spot metering, was metered off of the girl's (in the white shirt) shoulder. In this case you might have wanted to attempt to meter off of one of the shadows, or something darker than the white shirt to bring out the foreground.

The fifth shot looks okay to me. Instead of spot metering you probably should be using center weighted instead. This will probably bring your exposures more in-line with what you are looking for.

The last photo taken with your *ist the flash fired. The cat shot taken with the K20D the flash did not fire so that is why the shot with the *ist looks much nicer.

07-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
Boy do I feel dumb. Off to read the book (again) about spot metering.
07-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Don't worry about feeling dumb or anything like that. We've all been there. Here is a recent thread on the different metering modes to be found on the K20D and some explainations as well as when you might want to use one over the other.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/62082-metering-modes-k20d.html

Also a quite google search on camera metering modes will bring up a wealth of information.