Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #1

shooting location

I just got back from a parade and again the pics are darker than I like (I posted this issue and I had the spot meter on but changed it to the center). When I came home I took some back yard pics that were perfect.

If I was under a tent shooting out into a hot sun lit street would that matter on the darkness of the photo? verse me being directly in the sun while shooting?

07-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Again, as in your other thread a picture is worth a thousand words. Post some samples and we'll have more to go on in regards to what may be happening.
07-04-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Any time the scene is dominated by very bright objects (eg, the sky), you need to apply positive exposure compensation. Conversely, a picture dominanted by very dark objects (eg, a black dog) may require negative compensation. I'd suggest getting a book on photography that explains the basics of exposure so can learn how to deal with the different sort of situations you encounter.
07-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yes I need to do some major reading. It just dawned to me this might be an issue.
Well looking at them on this post maybe they are not as dark as I thought or the veiwfinder and monitor are dark.

dark photos. I was standing under a tent

I was standing in direct sunlight

07-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

There's your answer in the pics you posted. Center weighted metering, plus shooting (the first two shots) out into the bright blue sky, will tend to underexpose because the meter is being fooled by the bright sky. I'd double check the histogram when shooting in these situations.

Take the next two pics you took, the background is darker so the meter isn't being fooled by the overly bright background, so the overall exposure is better.
07-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It doesn't much matter what the light was where you were standing. What matters is how the light was where your subject was.

In the first two you're down low and shooting upwards, including quite a bit of bright sky. The meter was reacting to the sky, exposing for that. Naturally, anything less brightly lit (such as Boy Scouts with their faces in the shade already) comes out even darker. Same thing for your mounted members of the law enforcement community, except that spots of bright glare from windscreen and helmet were the culprits.

In the second two (cute kid, by the way) your subject fills the photo better, is more centrally located in the shot, and lacks anything to produce bright glare which would screw up the metering. Also, there is a psychological element involved here. After all, the background is just as underexposed in these as the foreground (subjects) in the other two (and for a similar reason) yet since the subject is just fine we tend not to even notice the difference. And, in fact, since it serves to isolate and emphasize the subject, we could really even consider it an extra added benefit. And there is the fact that we tend to overlook lots of stuff in photos when the subject is near and dear to our hearts.
07-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
Damn Brit

It's a good idea to look up now and again to see where the sun is.
07-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #8

Original Poster
thanks all. Once again very helpful.