Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

A few ?? about my Pentax ME

Hi all,
I bought a Pentax ME way back in 1977 and have dug it out after decades of storage and want to get into learning how to use it. I got it all cleaned and serviced but I don't know jack about photography so I have a few newbie questions if you don't mind. First it has a SMC Pentax-M 1:1.4 50mm lens. What size lens cap do I need for it? A 49mm or a 52 as I can't find any for 50mm. Second, what would be a good telephoto lens to get for nature shots? I have a tripod for it. I know I'll have more questions later (get ready as I have a Pentax Stereo Adapter for it also that I bought at the time). Thanks for your time and help.

Mike

07-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Mike, when it says 50mm on the lens, that's the focal length, not the lens cap size. Sometimes lens cap size would be shown after a Φ symbol, but I don't think that's the case with the M 50/1.4. Annnd to answer your question that lens needs 49mm cap, as with most of pentax's lenses under 135mm. If you're not in a hurry dealextreme have caps for cheap, otherwise I do suggest supporting local shops.

For telephoto with that body an M135/3.5 or M200/4 would be great. If you want a zoom the M80-200/4.5 might be a good choice.
Pentax Telephoto Prime Lenses

You can still use lenses from other generations as well and use all the features supported by the ME (other than DA and FA-J), I just mentioned those three because they are perfectly functional with your ME (from the same generation), good performers, and relatively cheap.
07-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Than you very much Andi. I have a lot to learn here as I thought a telephoto and zoom were the same thing! Oops! Time for me to get studying. I'll check out those lenses you've mentioned.

Mike