Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2009, 03:50 AM   #1

Photography Equipment for trip to Egypt

Hello everyone,

I'm a begginer with photography but I really envoy my Pentax K200D which I've had for a few months now.

I'm going to Egypt in october or november for a 2-week trip/excursions.

I was wondering if I had the right equipment or if I should get a extra wide-angle lens. Here's what I have :

18-55mm F3.5-5.6
50-200mm F4-5.6
Tripod
UV Filter

I will most probably get a polirazed filter also. My father had a Pentax 70-300mm (I thing) that I could bring. However, I don't want to many things to carry for nothing.

What do you think? And any suggestion for a bag to carry everything?

Thanks!

Annie
aka BlueEye

07-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have listed a general solution but what are the requirements?

Indoor/no-flash? Outdoor landscapes? Soccer match? Scorpians? Or are you (and this is the easy way out) just trying to best prepare for any eventuallity?
07-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If you have the funds, getting a weather sealed lens or 2 might be a good idea. The new weather sealed kit lenses(18-55mm and 55-200mm) are now available and not too expensive, and you could sell your regular kit lenses to help cover the costs. There are also the DA* lenses, but they come at a much higher cost.
07-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I think the only thing really missing in yoir kit is a fast lens like a 50 f1.4. You could always replace your lenses with higher quality equivalents but if your kit suits you now it will suit you in Egypt. A fast lens will be a good ally in low light.

The tripod is a great idea, a polarizer also, if you learn how to use it. Maybe consider UV filters to protect the front of your lenses, Egypt can get dusty. More than anything, enjoy your trip!!!

07-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I suggest a fast prime or if you can afford the DA* 16-50 for weather sealing as mentioned above and for low light indoors.

I have not been to Egypt but in a lot of places indoor flash is not permitted in museums and galleries.

Neil
07-06-2009, 12:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'd recommend you take something wider than the 18-55 (FF eqv. 28-80mm) kit lens. I found myself using a 18-28mm a lot, and that is on a full frame body. I was shooting mainly outdoors monuments but I guess it could be nice for tight indoors scenes also.

I don't think you'll need the extra 100mm from the 70-300, if you are going to be moving freely (as in renting a car and driving around) you could bring it for the extra possibilities but if you're going on guided tours you might as well skip it.

A fast prime is always nice, but Egypt has plenty of light and for indoors you would probably want something wider than a fast 50mm anyway.

Edit. Weather sealing is not something I would worry about, more a marketing trick if you're not going to Antarctica...
07-06-2009, 01:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

A decent flash would be a nice add-on, if just to open up shadows under the harsh Egyptian sun.

07-06-2009, 05:07 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Ok. So I have actually lived there.

Definitely try to get weather sealing on your lenses. UV filters are definitely a good bet.

Having an all round zoom like the 18-250 will help you to avoid swapping out lenses.

A lot of the stuff you will be looking at outdoors is huge. So try to beef up your wide angle range. Going with the Sigma 10-20 or Pentax 12-24 are options.

Your 55-200 should do just fine in capturing detail of buildings etc.

Museums and many other historic sites don't allow flash. So you need a low-light option. 50 F1.4 is a good choice for shooting the locals -- if that is your thing. But might be too zoomed in otherwise. Try a prime in the 20-40 range. Sigma has some good low cost alternatives.

Your best shooting will be in the morning and early evening. "The golden hours". Egypt has some pretty amazing sunsets.

You might find a tripod a bit of hassle because you will be moving a lot and you won't necessarily have much time. A small tripod or monopod might be useful.

Anyways, I'm sure you won't do all of these for your trip but I thought I'd give you an idea of photographic options that will be presented to you.

Oh and an unmarked bag. Egypt is really safe but you really don't want to be tempting people. I have a Kata bag.
07-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree that I would see if I could find a weather sealed lens -- there are several out there and sand is not a good friend to the camera. The other thing is a fast prime -- take you pic, the FA 35 or the FA 50 would be the obvious choices. Flash is not allowed and your kit lens will not be adaquate to the job, even with SR.
07-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The 16-50mm da* could be a good choice, great for low light but giving you enough wide angle reach to take some nice landscape shots of those triangular things that stick up out of the ground.....

hmmm what were they called again? ahh whatever, probably weren't that hard to make.

</sarcasm>
07-23-2009, 03:37 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks you all for your comments! Sorry for delaying the response, but my internet was down.

I have bought an unmarked bag and UV and polarized filters. I'm still looking for the weather sealed lens... and a 10-20mm or 12-24mm but they are quite expensive!

Thanks again!

Annie
08-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #12

Original Poster
Hi again,

Some of you recommanded a flash... I don't have any right now (other than the one incorporated of course)...

What could I buy that's not to expensive (the trip's getting expensive since I will also be 2 nights in Paris ) and quite portable (I don't want to add to much weight on my backpack?

Thanks!

Annie
08-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #13
Damn Brit

I would recommend getting yourself a fast 50. Photography isn't allowed in some of the tombs but if you go when it's quiet, a small bribe is gratefully received for turning a blind eye. Flashes would be out though.