Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20d or the k7???

I currently own a K100D,which I must say has served me well.But now it's time to upgrade.I'm debating on whether to buy the K20D or the K7.Has anyone out there in Pentaxland had the pleasure of using or trying out both cameras to see which one is better choice?How much does the quality and performance differ in the two?

07-06-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
Forum Member

I'm at the same point. My k100D has been great for the past 2+ years but now I'm finding that It's restricting me from getting the shots I'd like (and I never realized how many enlargements id be looking to make).

I went with the K20D, should be here in the next few days... I figure it'll keep me very happy for the next several years. I hope this will be a difficult camera to outgrow.
07-07-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are lots of reviewers of the K-7 posting in the forum at the moment... most of whom are comparing it to their K20Ds.

Do some searching and I'm sure you'll find a plethora of information to sink your teeth into.

Overall, the K-7 is a different league of camera. K20D's a very capable and practical camera, though.
07-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

ask yourself if you need the video. if that's something you really care about then go for the k7. other benefits exist, but are they worth the extra several hundred bucks to you?

same sensor as the k20d... keep that in mind. they're both weathersealed as well.

if all you care about is your pictures and budget, then get a k20d and invest the difference in some good glass.

07-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I upgraded from the k20d for the pictures (don't care much about video...digital filters etc etc). It is faster, focus is improved, white balance is improved. For me it was the right choice....I was able to sell my k20d before the price dropped so it wasn't a huge cash outlay. The k20d is a great camera as well.....if cash is a concern, you could probably find one that is near new for a very low price. I wouldn't consider it to be as good as the k-7 though.
07-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hmmm.... the k20d plus some glass has to be very tempting. I sure was tempted. I came from a k100d to a k7. For me, the fps, video and quicker AF was the deal maker. As was the smaller size.
07-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I wouldn't get the K20D if I could afford the K-7. Because the K-7 is just an all-round better camera. But if considering a K-7, I would wait awhile before buying it at first since it's the first wave that came out, you never know if there are any defects. But if you are on a budget or are a bit worried about spending your money, the K20D is your best bet because it is at its lowest price point right now and its been out long enough to know that it's reliable from the many who had it.