Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #1

Cracked Viewfinder

This is all so new to me, I'm hoping you guys out there can help me. Just this morning I took my Pentax K10 out of the case and noticed the viewfinder is completely cracked!!! I am so distraught and have no idea where to even begin repairing this. I have heard that Pentax does not release their parts so I am clueless as to how much this will be to repair it. I have taken pictures with it and everything seems to be working, the viewfinder is the only thing damaged. Any suggestions or price estimate you could help me with? I am new at taking pictures and forums all together. It would help to mention that this camera was a gift but is not new. The owner is upgrading to the new Pentax and was nice enough to give me her old one.

07-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
Welcome to the forum

A cracked viewfinder on a K10D? A few questions:
  • Is the eyepiece glass broken -or-
  • Do you see cracks in the glass when you look into the eyepiece -or-
  • Is the black plastic housing for the viewfinder prism what is broken?
Either way, this sort of damage indicates that the camera took a pretty intense blow (dropped or crushed...that sort of thing). The reason why I mention this is because it is possible that there is damage beyond just the viewfinder.

Steve
07-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
Okay- the eyepiece glass IS broken, its cracked - but no, you cannot see it when you have your eye right up against it looking thru. The black plastic housing is intact and just the glass is cracked. Does this answer your questions?
07-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums!
Hmmm..sounds like another mystery like the cracked LCD after a plane flight.
I wonder what's ahppening with these Pentaxs'???
I hope this is not bad QC (qualty control).
If you can post pics maybe more can figure out as to what to do.

07-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by newpentaxuser Quote
Okay- the eyepiece glass IS broken, its cracked - but no, you cannot see it when you have your eye right up against it looking thru. The black plastic housing is intact and just the glass is cracked. Does this answer your questions?
Yep.

Sorry to ask what seems obvious, but we get all kinds of questions from all kinds of people translated from all kinds of languages! From your description, the damage could have been to any number of components, one of which (the focus screen) can be replaced by the user. Unfortunately, focus screen damage is not visible except through the viewfinder or from the inside of the camera. From your description above, it sounds like the eyepiece glass itself is cracked. (Assuming that you don't have a slide-on external diopter lens.)

Your broken eyepiece is probably not a manufacturing defect. Your camera is probably repairable, but for how much money is the question. A local camera repair shop may be willing to look at it and give an estimate or you can contact factory service at Pentax USA:
PENTAX Customer Care
Toll Free: (800) 877-0155
Phone: (303) 799-8000
Unfortunately, that is the most help I can be.

Steve
07-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #6

Original Poster
Like I said, I am new at this - but here is a picture of the crack. I hope you can see it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone  Photo 
07-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Like I said, I am new at this - but here is a picture of the crack. I hope you can see it.
Jesus Christ man! THAT LOOKS F*CKING SCARY!

I would DEFINITELY go check that out IMMEDIATELY if you still have warranty. EVEN IF YOU DON'T GO CONTACT PENTAX USA AND ASK IF THEY CAN FIX IT FOR A PRICE.

And also, nice name. Can't believe no1 picked that yet.

07-06-2009, 09:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yeah that is pretty scary knowing that it just cracked out of nowhere. Hopefully there was a reason to why it cracked, I wouldn't want my new Pentax to crack for no reason too when I get it tomorrow.
07-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow, I've heard of people cracking mirrors just by looking at them, but this...

I seem to remember another forum member who had a cracked eyepiece and he replaced it himself by ordering the parts directly from Pentax. Can't seem to locate the thread, but it's here somewhere...
07-06-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
pbo
Veteran Member

Whoa! That's even more messed up than my K10D! (btw, I'm the one with a cracked screen after flight still cracked, shooting medium format now ) You should either call Pentax, or look at their site for authorized repair center (link, go to "Product Repairs", "Find a Service Center"). I dropped my camera off at a local repair shop because there's no authorized one in the vicinity, to find one in your area, try Googling something like "camera repair Lubbock", maybe you'll find a good one
07-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for all your help and suggestions. It is so nice to come here for advice and helpful hints - I feel like an idiot but you guys made it easier on me. I contacted Pentax and am sending it via UPS today to be repaired. I hope it's not to expensive but can't stand the thought of my baby being cracked any longer. I'll keep yall posted. Thank you, Thank you once again.
07-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
Whoa! That's even more messed up than my K10D! (btw, I'm the one with a cracked screen after flight still cracked, shooting medium format now ) You should either call Pentax, or look at their site for authorized repair center (link, go to "Product Repairs", "Find a Service Center"). I dropped my camera off at a local repair shop because there's no authorized one in the vicinity, to find one in your area, try Googling something like "camera repair Lubbock", maybe you'll find a good one
There was another one who had a cracked viewfinder also and he ordered the parts and repaired it himself.
He also got the parts diagram on the K10D posted (I think) so he knew what number the part was and what to order.
07-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

...I took my Pentax K10 out of the case and noticed the viewfinder is completely cracked!!!
when you get it back, check how it's sitting in your case... you don't want to repeat this!!

QuoteQuote:
The owner is upgrading to the new Pentax and was nice enough to give me her old one.
aren't Pentax users nice!!!
07-08-2009, 12:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Check it:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/58701-k100d-viewfi...e-scratch.html
07-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #15

Original Poster
Heard from Pentax

So...I sent my camera off the day after the ''accident" happened and I have gone all this time without hearing anything. I called the today and found out my repair estimate is 294.50. So...needless to say I am shock that it is going to cost that much. They are sending me another paper copy of the estimate since I didnt get the first one but am unsure of what to do now. I would try to fix it myself but am really unsure if I am capable of doing so. 294.50 is alot of money. Any suggestions?