Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I primarily shoot Av but when I do sports stuff, I'll often drop into Tv so that I can maintain a certain level of motion blur to emphasize the action a bit. Honestly, it all depends on what you are trying to achieve (use of aperture & shutter settings).

Like the other folks said, it's best to do a little homework and test, test, test so you are comfortable know which to use when.

Cheers.

07-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
I guess my thinking on the depth of field, and why I shoot in Tv mode is if I want a large depth of field, I shoot a slow shutter speed.......if I want a narrow depth of field, I shoot at a higher shutter speed.

Yeah, I know.......go do some reading and hands on with the camera. :-) I guess there are worse things to do with a little bit of ones spare time, huh?!!

vmax84
Hey! That's an interesting approach. And not the wong one vmax.
Many have complained about HyP way of switching Tv-Av. Now this is giving me the ideea why this was engineered like it is (with limitations).

My advice is: learn it your way, and learn it good.
And do some reading in the meantime, experimenting...
07-07-2009, 11:22 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I guess my thinking on the depth of field, and why I shoot in Tv mode is if I want a large depth of field, I shoot a slow shutter speed.......if I want a narrow depth of field, I shoot at a higher shutter speed.
OK, but what shutter speed do you need to get a particular DOF? It's basically trial & error and/or guessing. With Av mode, if you know the aperture you need to get the desired DOF, you can dial it in directly. Also, what happens when the light changes? With Tv mode, you need to chage shutter speed just to keep the same aperture. It's a really odd, indirect, and ultimately inaccurate way of controlling DOF.

Not that Tv mode wouldn't have its uses for other purposes. But using it to control DOF is a very awkward and error-prone way to do it.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 07-08-2009 at 08:39 AM.
07-08-2009, 02:52 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am right handed............I feel like I have to re-learn how to write and write left handed now!!!!

vmax84

07-08-2009, 06:09 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I am right handed............I feel like I have to re-learn how to write and write left handed now!!!!

vmax84
Keep in mind that for the same picture, whether you use Tv and dial shutter speed until you see your desired aperture appear, or use Av and set aperture directly, (letting the camera set shutter speed as it sees fit), shutter speed and aperture will be exactly the same for the same shot - the light is the same and therefore the exposure settings will work out the same regardless of how they're derived.
07-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #21

" guess my thinking on the depth of field, and why I shoot in Tv mode is if I want a large depth of field, I shoot a slow shutter speed.......if I want a narrow depth of field, I shoot at a higher shutter speed.

Yeah, I know.......go do some reading and hands on with the camera. :-) I guess there are worse things to do with a little bit of ones spare time, huh?!!

vmax84"

If you are thinking of the important factor being DOF then select the aperture first and then decide whether the shutter speed id adequate for the circumstances.
For best compromise in setup menu set PROGRAM LINE to MTF.
The camera will read the lens data from the lens and set for best compromise possible in the existing lighting.
Do your own tests. Keep notes on what you do. That is the best way to learn.
Ron McDermott