Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Quickly change between M42 and K lenses?

Hi everyone,

I'm using a Pentax *ist DS with a couple of M42 and also a couple of K lenses. I'm using the genuine Pentax M42 PK adapter, which is great as I don't need a tool to unmount.

However, I'm still finding it rather cumbersome when changing between M42 and K lenses, especially when unmounting a M42 lens. According to the manufacturer's instruction, I'm meant to unscrew the lens off the adapter, and take off the adapter, which is what I do.

Is there an easy way I can screw the adapter to the lens, so the lens effectively becomes like a K-lens for easy mounting/dismounting?

If not, I guess that's just something I have to accept when using screw mount lenses...

Thanks a lot in advance!

iht

07-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I, shooting exclusively with a variety of Pentax M42 & manual kmount lenses, also had this problem. I also shoot with an *ist DS. A couple of weeks ago I solved my problem by taking advantage of the steadily declining prices due to age & the introduction of newer models by picking up another *ist DS on Ebay upon which to permanently mount my M42 adapter & use as a dedicated screwmount body. I picked one up in mint condition for $177. You should be able to find one for about $200..... quite a bargain in my estimation.

It can be done the way you suggest, but that would mean purchasing an adapter for every lens you own, & any lens you might purchase in the future. That could quickly add up to more than an extra body will cost you.
07-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
iht
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
It can be done the way you suggest, but that would mean purchasing an adapter for every lens you own, & any lens you might purchase in the future. That could quickly add up to more than an extra body will cost you.
Thanks for the quick reply and the idea. I also bought the DS second-hand, and don't have the fund to get another at present.

I tend the use my Super Tak 50mm most often, so I only need one adapter to screw onto that. However, I notice the adapter comes with a clip that clips onto the mount, which doesn't seem to allow me to take out the whole lens with adapter as I normally would with a K-lens. I have seen some other articles referring to people removing that clip, but I'm reluctant to do that to my $45 adapter.

Any advice? Thanks a lot!
07-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hang in there. I'm sure your thread will attract advice from those who've permanently attached their converters to their lenses..... many do (while you're waiting, you might want to do a thread search to see if you can find some of the previously posted threads on this subject). The dedicated body solution works out best for me because I have about a dozen M42 Takumars, & am planning on acquiring more in the future. I also shoot with Spotmatic film cameras at times with these lenses, so that permanently attaching adapters to my screwmounts wouldn't be viable anyway. Also, it gave me an excuse to purchase another body!

07-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iht Quote
Thanks for the quick reply and the idea. I also bought the DS second-hand, and don't have the fund to get another at present.

I tend the use my Super Tak 50mm most often, so I only need one adapter to screw onto that. However, I notice the adapter comes with a clip that clips onto the mount, which doesn't seem to allow me to take out the whole lens with adapter as I normally would with a K-lens. I have seen some other articles referring to people removing that clip, but I'm reluctant to do that to my $45 adapter.

Any advice? Thanks a lot!
They remove the clip from a knock-off or not genuine M42 adapter.
Someone suggested doing this since the copy M42 adapters tend to get stuck on the body in time (because of the worn spring/clip) and as a solution,
the pentax user just attached it directly onto the lens itself..since the adapters were also cheap.
Try to google it and you will find the article as it was not posted here in the Pentax forums (from what I remember).
07-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Here is the blog post that got me going on adapters.
greyhoundman's ramblings: December 2007
07-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
iht
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip. That looks interesting. I might give that a try and see how it goes.
07-10-2009, 03:58 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I asked a similar question over that the "Takumar club" thread on the Lens forum. Here is my Q and the answer I got:
"3) Say for instance I am switching back and forth between a couple of screwmounts and K mounts. Should I get an adapter for each M42 lens? Or should I just use the one adapter, and juggle it between the different M42 lenses?

I'd recommend one adapter, welded to the camera. Seriously, though, it is hardly worth the hassle of swapping between systems. I either load my bag with Takumars, or I take them out and put in K-mounts. I very rarely take them out together. You'll receive the standard advice of getting an adapter for each lens and using superglue to hold it. Only problem is....waddaya gonna do when you break down and get a Spotmatic? You'll also get advice about removing the locking spring from the adapter. That means there is NOTHING holding your lens securely to your camera but the loving hand of a merciful God, who famously takes care of children and fools. How far does a K-mount have to rotate in order to fall off the camera? Far less than one turn. I'm not entirely sure God is going to wait until I'm dead to punish my various sins, so I don't tempt him by removing the locking spring from my adapter."

If you want to read that and the other questions I had and all the good answers I got the discussion starts on pg 146 of "The Takumar Club" on the Lens forum.

NaCl(hope that helps)H2O

07-10-2009, 04:49 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I don't trust God to hold the lens on. I make the small mod of adding the detent to keep the lens from turning. And I don't use Superglue. That crap will eventually off gas ruining a mirror or focus screen.
Obviously the author of that answer is not into DIY done right.
07-10-2009, 05:19 AM   #10
Banned

if you are only using manual glass, then why not try getting all the lenses you want (or most commonly use) in just one mount? that way, during everyday shooting you don't have to switch mounts. you can certainly have lenses in the other mount for specific purposes or special types of photographic situations. this could keep you from doing a DIY job on your lenses and run the risk of damaging the lens. this is what I did, and now my digital bodies are pretty much permanently m42 mounts. but if I want to occasionaly use my smc-A 70-210mm (currently, one of my only Kmount lenses) it isnt much of a choire to remove the adapter.
07-10-2009, 07:00 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Semi-permanent adapter attachment

I only have one M42 lens that I use on my K10D, the 50mm, f/1.4 Super-Takumar from my Spotmatic. Even so, I always leave the adapter on the lens, but it is not welded or super-glued.

Mine is a third-party adapter and, when new, required a tool to remove. Unlike many who recommend using only the genuine Pentax adapter, I have had good luck with my adapter.

Actually, the spring clip on my adapter simply fell off. I never did find it. When I noticed it was gone, I had a moment of panic, thinking that it might have fallen into my camera, but apparently it did not.

In any event, now, my Super-Takumar is effectively a k-mount lens. Perhaps because mine is a third-party adapter, there is quite a bit of friction between the adapter and the camera, more than enough to securely hold the lens on the camera. I've never heard of a properly installed M42 lens falling off of a Spotmatic, or other M42 camera, so that isn't an issue, either. The lens stays attached to the adapter and the adapter stays attached to the camera very well.

To mount the lens, I simply do it as if it were a native k-mount lens. I usually give it a slight clockwise turn to make sure the lens is screwed onto the adapter securely, just as I used to do on my Spotmatic. To remove, I just give it a twist counter-clockwise. Neither the adapter nor the lens engage the k-mount lens locking pin, so I don't need to bother pressing the lens-release button. This has never been an issue. If I turn it only far enough to clear the k-mount mechanism, the adapter stays firmly on the lens.

To be fair, the 50mm is a relatively small and lightweight lens. Perhaps a big, 200 or 300mm telephote would weigh enough to exert sufficient torque to spontaneously cause the lens to come loose. But, like I said, I only use the one lens.

If I find another M42 lens that I like to use, I will buy another adapter and remove the spring clip.
07-10-2009, 07:17 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I put a low cost (13USD) adapter on each of my half dozen or so m42 lenses; I remove the spring clip. I usually indent the lens base so the locking pin seats. I don't use glue.

It works well for me.

Ames Iowa Dave

PS If you don't want to indent the lens base you can avoid over-rotation when mounting the lens by filing the fillets flanking the spring-clip location square (or by taking care care not to twist too hard.... If you do accidentlay over rotate, it'll be ok. Trust me.)
07-10-2009, 07:31 AM   #13
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
To be fair, the 50mm is a relatively small and lightweight lens. Perhaps a big, 200 or 300mm telephote would weigh enough to exert sufficient torque to spontaneously cause the lens to come loose.
My first M42 - P/K adapter was a third-party one. It was so loose that I nearly dropped my 50mm Macro-Takumar. Since then I've bought a couple of genuine Pentax adapters and they're better but as I've already mentioned in some thread I find switching between M42 and P/K a nuisance. That was actually the reason why I ended up getting another body, mainly for M42 use. But now that I've got it I'm still not sure if I want to use M42. Well, I'll see what comes up. As I nowadays have only one M42 (the mentioned Macro-Takumar) lens, working normally with the adapter doesn't tempt. But who knows, if I some day find lots of high quality M42 glass, so maybe then the M42 dedicated body will happen.
07-10-2009, 07:32 AM   #14
Forum Member

Hi,

I fix my adaptor on with nail varnish, it makes it easy to remove later by using acetone to soften the varnish.

Greg
07-10-2009, 07:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

By the way, if you look at the third party adapters vs. the Pentax one (or even a K mount lens) you'll see a slight difference in the slope of the bayonet lugs. The 3rd party ones tend to be symmetrical, while the genuine parts have a difference between leading and trailing edges.

If you take a Dremel to the 3rd party part you can make the lugs look more like real Pentax - this helps with the 'turning too far in the camera' problem.

I tend to either select which mount I'll take or put up with the fiddling, but then I don't tend to change lenses -or even carry more than 1 extra- in the field.