Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MoparFreak69 Quote
I too have been interested in getting into taking "in your bug face" pictures but I have no clue where to even begin in asking what to look for in a lens. I discovered a grasshopper sitting on my patio table and decided what the heck, lets see what my lens can do. I was probably 2' away from him with my lens zoomed all the way to 250mm.
How is a true "macro" lens going to affect how close I need to get, my overall field of view, basically how different is it from shooting with a normal zoom lens?
For your camera a 1:1 magnification is about an inch wide (24mm). So a field width of a half inch requires a magnification of 2:1 - beyond 2:1 is difficult.

The relationship between working distance (distance between the lens and subject) and magnification is roughly*:

Working distance = Focal_length(1+1/m)

Mag 1:1 requires 2 focal lengths clearance
Mag 2:1 requires 1.5 focal lengths clearance
etc.

Large working distance is good so one doesn't spook the subject or interfere with the light. Large working distance also is hard to hold without jiggling.

Many people find a good focal length to be in the 90-105mm range for critters. Longer focal lengths also help by making it easier to obscure backgrounds; here's an example - same camera location, background, depth of field & subject, different focal lengths:

An Iowa Dave

* "roughly" because it is hard to know exactly where the lens' effective center really is.

07-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery
Ok good info. So if I go with say a 100mm Macro lens that is preferrably 1:1, how close would I need to get to the subject "bug" to provide the results that say GerryL got? If I were to get the Raynox 150 or even 250 and place it on the end of my 18-250mm what kind of results could I feasably achieve? I am just looking at ideas right now as my wallet will have a serious disagreement with me buying the macro that I "want" to get.
07-18-2009, 10:21 PM   #33
Pentaxian

I too have been interested in getting into taking "in your bug face" pictures but I have no clue where to even begin in asking what to look for in a lens. I discovered a grasshopper sitting on my patio table and decided what the heck, lets see what my lens can do. I was probably 2' away from him with my lens zoomed all the way to 250mm.
How is a true "macro" lens going to affect how close I need to get, my overall field of view, basically how different is it from shooting with a normal zoom lens?
Whether a "true" macro or just something that approximates this, it is no different whatsoever than any other lens, except you can focus closer. A macro lens that was 250mm would provide the exact same field as your existing lens zoomed to 250mm, but it would let you focus from a few inches away instead of limited you to 2'. And from only a few inches away, obviously, things look bigger than they do from 2'. For $50, a Raynox 150 or 250 would allow you current lens to shoot from that kind of distance. Or for several hundred dollars, you can get a dedicate macro lens that will also let you focus from a few inches away but will have some of the potential advantages described in other responses.
07-19-2009, 05:40 AM   #34
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Ok good info. So if I go with say a 100mm Macro lens that is preferrably 1:1, ....

The math works. The relationship between distance and focal length for a single lens is:

Distance=Focal_length(1+1/m)

for a 100mm lens at a magnification of 1 this is 100(1+1/1)=200mm about 8".

That's the distance for the Raynox 150 as well. The distance for the Raynox 250 is only about 5".

QuoteQuote:
If I were to get the Raynox 150 or even 250 and place it on the end of my 18-250mm what kind of results could I feasably achieve?
One can get excellent results with a Raynox close-up lens. I think the Raynox DCR 150 is the appropriate lens to choose for use on an 18-250mm zoom.

There are a couple other current threads on this subject you might want to track down.

Dave

07-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #35

Great! It is definately something I will look into. I think that the Raynox 150 would probably suit my needs better because that 3" can make a big difference in getting the shot or losing the subject.
07-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 on the meduim (#2) tube of an $8 set of Chinese extention tubes:

Same lens, reversed, with all three tubes:

(Both uncropped.)
07-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
The math works. The relationship between distance and focal length for a single lens is:

Distance=Focal_length(1+1/m)

for a 100mm lens at a magnification of 1 this is 100(1+1/1)=200mm about 8".

That's the distance for the Raynox 150 as well. The distance for the Raynox 250 is only about 5".

One can get excellent results with a Raynox close-up lens. I think the Raynox DCR 150 is the appropriate lens to choose for use on an 18-250mm zoom.

There are a couple other current threads on this subject you might want to track down.

Dave
This is about right as I tried to take some photos again to answer your query.
Sadly enough, there were no more insects as the flowers they went to were almost wilted.
It was also too hot and windy outside so, I just tried it out with flowers the size of the insects.
This was taken with the DA 50-200mm set at 100mm with Raynox DCR-250.
I would say that the distance to the flower was around 6-8 inches.
Too much magnification for the focal length causes a very narrow DOF even if I used f-8.
This was edited for brightness as I had to shoot with a fast speed (too windy and handheld ) and I had to do it quickly so no tripod either.
I had to resize this too so I can attach it here.
Hope this helps.
Attached Images

07-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #38
Site Supporter

The Sigma 105mm DG Macro is quite a good Macro lens for Pentax. The image of this fly (which I still don't know what species it is) was taken with it. The fly is about the size of 2 match heads.

Attached Images

07-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
Just because it says "macro" on the side of it, doesn't make it the lens one really wants to work with for up close work, huh?!!

What would be a good "macro" lens?

vmax84

Check it:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/61939-raynox-flexability.html
07-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #40

Got a Macro lens

Well after much searching and deliberation I decided to go ahead and get a macro lens. I found one locally on sale for a very nice price and after using it and playing with it I must say I am quite happy with my choice. It is a Pentax FA 100mm Macro f3.5 that does 1:2 which is acceptable for my use right now, I can always add an extension tube to get true 1:1 later on. For about $200 I dont think this lens can be beat!
Attached Images

07-28-2009, 08:24 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Well after much searching and deliberation I decided to go ahead and get a macro lens. I found one locally on sale for a very nice price and after using it and playing with it I must say I am quite happy with my choice. It is a Pentax FA 100mm Macro f3.5 that does 1:2 which is acceptable for my use right now, I can always add an extension tube to get true 1:1 later on. For about $200 I dont think this lens can be beat!
Congratulations on your purchase!
..and that is some awesome photo too!
That lens is actually a good choice if budget is of no concern.
We will be looking forward to more of your photos!
07-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dom Quote
It depends on how close you want to get. My rig is fairly extrema and will give results like below. If you don't want to spend a lot of money on it the other option seam to be the Raynox macro filter. I would stay away from the cheaper filter sets. You can get some results from them but it's a lot more work and less chance of getting the shot. Hope this helps.

How did you get that fly to stand still long enough to focus!!!Great shot, I love the texture of the eyes
07-28-2009, 09:40 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Yes and lets see some shots of your car...if it's a mopar. I have an LX and will be detailing it and taking many pictures very soon. some with my macro lens as well.

Nice shots.