Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2009, 07:02 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by liberiabound Quote
Where do you get the moisture absorbers? Do you use things like the Silcia(?) packets found in shoe boxes? I have been trying to put my gear in a dry bag with these but can find a company that sells them. Any ideas?
Sorry I didn't think of it 'til now, but polished white rice is an excellent low-dust desiccant.

Dave in Iowa

07-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another vote for indicating desiccant gel, you know for sure when it's spent. I got a 1lb can for ~$23 US from BioQuip (an entomology supplier). I keep everything but what I'm using at the moment in a not particularly tight drawer in a file cabinet with a container of desiccant, and replace it when it changes colour. I use a small sour cream container with holes poked in the lid, with a few tablespoons of desiccant. No mould so far, even in our dank old farmhouse in the humid part of the year. I got it because I did have mould on the outside of a leather lens case once. It's fine so far...

Julie
07-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
With mine, when they aren't in use I store my cameras in the camera bag in the bottom of my free standing wardrobe. Yes the one with clothes in it. Never had a problem with moisture or dust.
Otherwise they live in a camera bag unless they are being used. Then again, the camera bags get cleaned out on a regular basis depending on how and where they have been used. I was taught early to change lenses in the bag when conditions are bad. A clean/dry bag is a very useful thing.