Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
Forum Member

Storing Camera/Lenses

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Do you take any type of precaution when putting your camera away for the day?

I mean I am paranoid of dust on my equipment so whats the best practice when trying to expose your equipment to the least amount of dust possible during non use?

07-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I try to remember to put lens caps on and zip the case up so that my dogs can't use my equipment as chew toys (my Rottie really likes one of my lens cases).
Where you are, I'd be more concerned about mold than dust.
07-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I try to remember to put lens caps on and zip the case up so that my dogs can't use my equipment as chew toys (my Rottie really likes one of my lens cases).
Where you are, I'd be more concerned about mold than dust.
what about a dry box? worth it?
07-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I put them in plastic dry box with moisture absorber. There are also electric dry cabins being offered from Japan, Taiwan & China and they are quite popular in asia. But depends on how many gears you have, you might just zip them in plastic bag with moisture absorbers.

07-09-2009, 05:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NothingInCommon Quote
I mean I am paranoid of dust on my equipment so whats the best practice when trying to expose your equipment to the least amount of dust possible during non use?
Store it in an incubator in a clean room. Or stop worrying too much about dust...
07-09-2009, 05:20 AM   #6
Inactive Account

moisture absorber storing

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I put them in plastic dry box with moisture absorber. There are also electric dry cabins being offered from Japan, Taiwan & China and they are quite popular in asia. But depends on how many gears you have, you might just zip them in plastic bag with moisture absorbers.
Where do you get the moisture absorbers? Do you use things like the Silcia(?) packets found in shoe boxes? I have been trying to put my gear in a dry bag with these but can find a company that sells them. Any ideas?
07-09-2009, 05:28 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Here's a link to ebay for silica gel desiccant packets: silica gel, great deals on Cameras Photo, Business Industrial on eBay!

Put one in a ziplock bag with your gear.

Dave in Iowa

07-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by liberiabound Quote
Do you use things like the Silcia(?) packets found in shoe boxes?
You can actually use those but you have to dry them out in the sun once in a while to recondition them or dry out the humidity (moisture) that they already absorbed so they can absorb more.
There is an ideal RH (relative humidity) that must be maintained if you decide to use a drybox or make yourself one 'coz if the RH maintained is too dry, the rubber gaskets or such may crack on your equipment.
07-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're concerned about the humidity level in your house, you might try hitting a few garage sales, estate sales, or flea markets. It used to be really popular for folks to display a set of guages that usually consisted of a thermometer, a barometer, and a hygrometer. I found one at an estate sale for $1.50. It won't solve your humidity problems, but at least you'll have an inexpensive way of knowing where you stand.
07-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If you only have the one camera and lens, the best maintenace in this way is to *use* it. Do not try to go to extremes unless you know how to do it right. If you over-protect something, and botch it, you're as likely to be sealing moisture and mold in its ideal damp environment as to be protecting anything. An ordinary camera bag bag, not-tightly sealed, in a reasonably-climate-controlled space is going to be one of the best things you can do.

If you have a *lot* of stuff, some of which might tend to be shut away in the dark for long periods, that's when you want to take a lot of care. If you close something up in a Southern clime and aren't assiduous about maintenance, you could do more harm than good: dessicants basically turn into sponges: once past their capacity, they'll actually release moisture in bad ways if the space is locked up too tightly, and that's a breeding ground for molds.

If in doubt, take nothing to extremes.

As for dust, just use common sense. Simply don't be so afraid of it that you end up trapping moisture. It'll be OK.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 07-10-2009 at 10:00 PM.
07-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sweet, after reading this I went to take the silicon packet out of my K-M/K2000 box and place it inside my Pentax Holster bag.
07-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Sweet, after reading this I went to take the silicon packet out of my K-M/K2000 box and place it inside my Pentax Holster bag.
Just do dry or swap them out periodically. They *will* absorb more than they can hold if it gets really damp. Then they turn from your friend to constant source of not-dry.

Also, do not eat them. Tempting, I know.

(I actually use reuseable aluminum ones meant for gun-safes in my not-very-airtight gear storage cabinets. But over years when I had little, I just kept what I had in a couple of bags in living space. )

Oh, also. Old trick. Cloth bags of Minute Rice. But pitch them on return from any time they're exposed to a rainy day. Same principle as the silica gel, but much quicker on the time frame before they get counterproductive.
07-11-2009, 08:06 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by liberiabound Quote
Where do you get the moisture absorbers? Do you use things like the Silcia(?) packets found in shoe boxes? I have been trying to put my gear in a dry bag with these but can find a company that sells them. Any ideas?
I think you can get small containers of moisture absorber from Walmart. They're mostly used in closets or damp spaces. You just drain out the water when they get full.
07-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joebob Quote
I think you can get small containers of moisture absorber from Walmart. They're mostly used in closets or damp spaces. You just drain out the water when they get full.
Your house must be really damp if you have to drain the thing of water!
07-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I bought a pair of cans of silica from Cambridge or Spiratone back in the day. They still work. Pop them in a 200 degree oven when the window turns pink.

Pelican | Silica Gel | PC1500D | B&H Photo Video