Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What kind of batts do you shoot with?
NiMH Cells 1666.67%
Li-Ion (if you use RCR-V3s please let me know what kind) 416.67%
Disposable Alkaline 312.50%
Disposable Lithium AAs or CR-V3 312.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Anyone using rechargeable Li-ion CR-V3 batts?

I'm proverbially dipping my toe into digital with a *ist DL and am trying to decide what battery options I have. I realize that disposable lithium CR-V3s are the best option, but I'd really like to avoid having to purchase anything on a regular basis (these type of continued costs are one of the main reasons I'm moving away from film). I'm going to use some Duracell Pre-Charged AA cells (identical to Eneloops) that I have for the time being, but would like a better solution long-run.

The most intriguing option to me is using Li-Ion rechargeable CR-V3 cells, but Pentax seems to warn against it as some go up to 3.7 volts. There are voltage-regulated ones out there now though. I'm just curious whether anyone out there uses RCR-V3s, and what kind. Any other thoughts on battery options are appreciated.

07-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #2

I use the disposable Lithium CR-V3's in my K100D. I get about 1,000 shots out of a pair and over half of them are with the flash or on Bulb setting. This lasts me almost a year. For me, I think this is better than buying rechargeable batteries. Also, the K100D book says not to use rechargeable CR-V3's.
07-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When the DL was new, and all the other Pentax DSLRs were AA-powered, some people did have real trouble with the rechargeable CRV3s. Do they specifically offer some benefit that outweighs the potential terminal camera failure? I don't think they're worth the trouble.

I use Ray-O-Vac Hybrids, another Eneloop-type. Since I bought 2 sets of these, my other batteries roll around in a drawer. When I travel, I also carry a set of disposable lithium AAs as a backup in the camera bag - complete overkill. My DS has a smaller screen, I use manual focus a lot and rarely use the popup flash, so my battery life is pretty good.

The lithium AAs are half the weight, readily available and sometimes on sale. If you want freedom from rechargers or any worry about batteries for a long period of time, estimate the number of shots you'll take, and bring one set for every 400-500 shots. They'll last longer, that's conservative.
07-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Right now I am using my Energizer Lithium's that came with my K-M/K2000. When it runs out, I am going to use my Sanyo Eneloops that I ordered last week. So I voted for NiMh.

07-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have read here somewhere someone used the recheargeable regulated CR-V3 batts. He said he used it for a while with no ill effects on his camera.
He now doesn't use it from what I remeber from his post but it would seem that (accdg to him..forgot exactly who), so long as it is the regulated type, then it wouldn't have current or voltage spikes.
I use the raynox or the eneloop and the kodak hybrids.
07-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Not sure what about Eneloop-type hybrid cells you are hoping to improve upon - slightly faster AF form the higher voltage? Anyhow, I do recall people trying the rechargeable CR-V3's when they came out, with mixed results, and the general consensus being that it wasn't worth the risk.

Someone just today over on dpreview or so asked about the newer nickel/zinc-based rechargeables, which I hadn't heard of before, but apparently came out a few months ago. Here's a link to an article. Seems intriguing:

PowerGenix reveals potent NiZn rechargeable AA batteries
07-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Marc, those Powergenix batteries are indeed intriguing. I remember hearing something about them when they came out, but haven't heard anything since. Apparently I'm not alone, as there seem to be no real reviews of them anywhere on the 'net. It's strange these are so far under the radar, considering you can get a 4 pack with charger for $30 at amazon.com here in the US. My only hesitation is that iffy-looking charger, and uncertainty as to whether you can use them with a LaCrosse, etc.

As for those who are wondering why risk using Li-ion RCRV3s, that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out: whether there is a risk. I have yet to come across any reports of someone's camera actually biting the dust as a result of using these. I know that I'd certainly write it up somewhere if it happened to me. Has anyone actually come across any horror stories?

BTW, thanks for the feedback. I've just come across these forums, and they've already been very helpful!
07-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

While the NiZn batteries have potential, they won't rival Eneloops and conventional NiMHs for some time. Consider: the current milli-Amp-hour capacity for Quantaray Super Z batteries is 1500mAh. Top of the line NiMH AAs are 2850mAh. The NiZn batteries have a self-discharge rate of near 1% per day...about that of conventional NiMHs, so no challenge there to the LSD batteries like Eneloops. The tech behind the new batteries is interesting, though. We'll see what they can do in a year or two.

PowerGenix Quantaray Super Z NiZn Rechargeable Battery - greenpowerZONE

07-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I may try a set of these NiZn batteries when Ritz has their final closing clearance sales this month.

I wonder if these NiZn batteries can be charged using a NiMH battery charger?
07-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AnomalyDesign Quote
As for those who are wondering why risk using Li-ion RCRV3s, that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out: whether there is a risk. I have yet to come across any reports of someone's camera actually biting the dust as a result of using these. I know that I'd certainly write it up somewhere if it happened to me. Has anyone actually come across any horror stories?

BTW, thanks for the feedback. I've just come across these forums, and they've already been very helpful!
There was a thread here that his camera went zonkers after using the recheargeable CRV3 batts. I think it was an *ist DS or DL.
He wasn't quite sure though if it was because of the batts but it was the only thing he changed from his regular things he did with the camera.
He stopped using it and even if he used the regular batts, the camera didn't return to normal.
I don't know whatever happend after that 'coz we were suggesting for him to find the original firmware and reboot it with that.
07-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Just to update, I've been using the Duracell Pre-Charged hybrids over a three-day wedding weekend, and have taken more than 500 shots without draining them. Of course that was in full manual with very little flash use, but I'm still impressed. Unless my FA 35mm lense drains the batts much faster, I'm likely going to stick with these batts and the mobile charger, as I use them in many of my other electronics already.

Those NiZn cells though... I'll keep my eyes and ears open
07-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I've been using Moby Power RCR-V3 in a K100D Super for 18 months. They're light, easy and fast to charge & insert (2 cells in a pack), last a long time both in use and when not used too. O/C voltage is 3.29V. I think unregulated RCR-V3s can reach 3.6V.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 07-13-2009 at 10:46 PM.
07-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
I think unregulated RCR-V3a can reach 3.6V.

Dan.
I think you mean just CR-V3 and not RCR-V3 'coz the "R" stands for "regulated"?
07-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I think you mean just CR-V3 and not RCR-V3 'coz the "R" stands for "regulated"?
Gerry, no, the "R" in RCR-V3 means rechargeable. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCR-V3
07-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Gerry, no, the "R" in RCR-V3 means rechargeable. See: CR-V3 battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Haha..see how much I know about these..'coz I never use 'em.
Thanks for the correction as some here might think as I am (I hope..always assuming).