Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cleaning your UV filter?

I bought my Hoya 52mm S-HMC UV filter for 21 bucks and now it has weird small scratches on it when I try to wipe it with a microfibre cloth. What's the correct way to clean it?

07-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The quality of microfibra cloths can vary quite a lot. Some do well when dampened, some not. The key is to never wipe MC with dry tissue or cloth. I have a Sweden made microfibra cloth that I purchased in HK for less than US$2 but it does wonder when dampened. But I also have some 3M microfibra cloths that is a dust magnet and great for household, but horrible for MC lens cleaning. Traditionally any HOYA MC filters are a xxxxx to clean with conventional methods, but is still possible to be cleaned as new when you found the right methods.
07-11-2009, 01:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried dampening my microfibre cloth and it made weird streak smudges and I can't get them off =/ I might have to buy a new UV filter, and hopefully this time it's something that can easily be cleaned. I think I destroyed my Hoya S-HMC UV filter by now, I don't even know if I scratched it because I don't know what a scratched UV filter looks like! I don't think it's scratched... Atleast, but I think I destroyed it somehow. The smudges are terrible.
07-11-2009, 05:35 AM   #4
Banned

You should never use anything on your lenses and filters other than lens tissue and cleaning solution made specifically for this purpose. Microfiber cloths trap dirt and dust which will scratch your glass even if used wet.

07-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by billtin59 Quote
You should never use anything on your lenses and filters other than lens tissue and cleaning solution made specifically for this purpose. Microfiber cloths trap dirt and dust which will scratch your glass even if used wet.
BS.
07-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
pbo
Veteran Member

Give Lenspen a try I've used one already, now on my second one, and it serves its purpose very well! There's a brush on ones side specially for dust, and a "wiper" on the other side - to clean the surface from smudges, fingerprints, etc.
07-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The activated carcoal in a LensPen should work, or there's the old stand-by...hop over to Wal-Mart and buy some Zeiss pre-moistened lens "cloths" (actually tissue) in the optical department. They work fine.

And if you can't trust Zeiss, who can you trust?

07-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I tried dampening my microfibre cloth and it made weird streak smudges and I can't get them off =/ I might have to buy a new UV filter, and hopefully this time it's something that can easily be cleaned. I think I destroyed my Hoya S-HMC UV filter by now, I don't even know if I scratched it because I don't know what a scratched UV filter looks like! I don't think it's scratched... Atleast, but I think I destroyed it somehow. The smudges are terrible.
Try licking it, then wiping it clean. That may sound gross and unconventional, but it works for me. I've done it on DVD's that wouldn't load, CD's, expensive sunglasses and yes, filters.
07-11-2009, 11:30 PM   #9
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
The activated carcoal in a LensPen should work, or there's the old stand-by...hop over to Wal-Mart and buy some Zeiss pre-moistened lens "cloths" (actually tissue) in the optical department. They work fine.

And if you can't trust Zeiss, who can you trust?
I tried those once, and I will stay away from them
I don't know if it was just one box defective or something, but it really was not so good - or I just don' know how to use it - it left stains after vaporizing - like the ones that stay on your window after you wipe them.
07-12-2009, 02:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I find that lenspens work really well for Hoya filters. They're still a pain to clean no matter what but the Lenspens do it the easiest
07-21-2009, 12:33 AM   #11

It actually is a big pain to clean the Hoya SMC filters...I however use the traditional approach to cleaning lenses/filters of exhaling on it and wiping it with as soft a cloth as possible like my vest :0) or a well usedhandkerchief...it is crude but it sure does the job.....problem is removing the lint which still sticks to the filter (but strangely not to the lens)..still figuring out a way to get rid of that...

KP
K200, DA18-250mm
07-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I've used micro-fibre cloths a lot and never had a problem with them.

QuoteQuote:
I tried dampening my microfibre cloth and it made weird streak smudges and I can't get them off =/
If it starts leaving streaks, it has built up oil and needs a clean. I just wash mine in the washing machine by themselves with a small amount of powder. Make sure they're thoroughly rinsed. Let them air dry. Then good as new. I think they need to be replaced every now and then but I've had one for a few years that works fine. It's just a standard micro-fibre cloth I bought from a camera shop.

I've also read that marks on the front element/filter that appear serious can often have no affect at all on images, so see how it goes.
07-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I bought my Hoya 52mm S-HMC UV filter for 21 bucks and now it has weird small scratches on it when I try to wipe it with a microfibre cloth. What's the correct way to clean it?
May I asked who conned you into buying a UV filter and why you fell for it?

To address your question: use a microfibre cloth. No need for huffing and puffing onto the glass or using cleaning solutions or blowers (unless you've got grains of sand on the glass). Microfibre works, it's simple, and it's cheap.
07-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
May I asked who conned you into buying a UV filter and why you fell for it?
If your shooting environment requires the protection, why not?
07-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
If your shooting environment requires the protection, why not?
Protection from what, UV rays?
« sig tags | My k1000 »