Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Different AF modes on camera?

My Pentax K-M/K2000 has AFA, AFS, and AFC modes.

Which one is best to take still life without anything moving? Which one is best to focus on a moving object to take picture of it? and etc.

Also can I select which object I want to focus with my K-M/K2000? If so, how?

07-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
Damn Brit

You're lucky, I got my K2000 out of the box last night.

AFS - Auto focus single would be the best option for still life IMO.

AFC - Auto focus continuous will keep a moving subject in focus all the time the shutter
button is half pressed. This wouldn't work for still life because the slightest movement you made would keep the camera trying to focus.

AFA - Automatically switches between the two. I haven't tried that mode but it seems it could be handy if for example, something catches the photographers eye and they want to fire off a quick shot.
As this mode is the default I'm assuming this was designed to make the camera usable straight out of the box for a complete novice.

No you can't except for using the Spot AF point and having the subject in the centre of the viewfinder (VF) and then recomposing if you want to (you have to keep the shutter button half pressed once the focus is locked if you want to do that).
The other option is Wide AF point, the camera picks the optimum AF point which I'm assuming may or may not be the one you want. It's possible you could make it so I suppose but you would have to work out the intricacies of how it works and compose your shot accordingly. I'm guessing that if you were taking a picture of a person for example, as long as the person is distinctly separated from the background and more prominent than other elements in the scene that the person is where that optimum focus point would be. As I said above, that would make sense because the camera is designed to be used by novices and up.

Unfortunately manuals tend to tell you what something does but doesn't go into any detail as to how and why. It's up to the user to figure that out by trial and error.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 07-09-2009 at 10:44 PM.
07-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Sweet, thanks man! I also have another question. There is a manual white balance settings. What does manual really do? I don't quite understand. I've been using auto and I tried manual and I can't seem to find the difference.

Also on my natural settings, I set the sharpness a bit highter by one tick, and I found out that there is a Fine sharpness setting. What's the difference between using Sharpness and Fine sharpness?

Also right after I finished snapping a photo, and I look at the LCD to take a quick glance of how the picture turns out, why does the coloring look a little off at some parts, like it looks distorted and weird. But when I press the preview button to see the pictures or when I upload them to the computer it comes out correct. It's not a big deal, but just wondering in-case something is wrong with my camera. I am shooting in RAW DNG.

Also how do you find out how many total shots you've taken with your K-M//K2000 so far? Or do you have to estimate it yourself?

Last edited by LeDave; 07-10-2009 at 12:14 AM.
07-10-2009, 12:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

May I suggest you first read the entire manual and if you still have questions do a search on the forum before asking what's already been asked and answered dozens of times?

07-10-2009, 01:26 AM   #5
Damn Brit

I'm getting overloaded here, I only opened mine up last night.
To answer your first question, the function is so that you can set the white balance yourself under conditions where the auto white balance might not be accurate (certain lighting conditions for example). On this occasion the manual explains it quite well, it's on page 161.
I actually found the auto white balance to be quite accurate on the few random samples I tested today.
I'd like to suggest that you don't worry too much about the all the technical aspects of your DSLR for now. Just have fun with the camera and as you get more comfortable and confidant, you will start working things out for yourself. A lot of them are a matter of taste anyway. It truly is a camera designed for a beginner so you should be able to take nice photographs without too much effort.
Try getting a book about photography, 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson is a very highly regarded book. That would be more useful to you for now than completely understanding your camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Sweet, thanks man! I also have another question. There is a manual white balance settings. What does manual really do? I don't quite understand. I've been using auto and I tried manual and I can't seem to find the difference.

Also on my natural settings, I set the sharpness a bit highter by one tick, and I found out that there is a Fine sharpness setting. What's the difference between using Sharpness and Fine sharpness?

Also right after I finished snapping a photo, and I look at the LCD to take a quick glance of how the picture turns out, why does the coloring look a little off at some parts, like it looks distorted and weird. But when I press the preview button to see the pictures or when I upload them to the computer it comes out correct. It's not a big deal, but just wondering in-case something is wrong with my camera. I am shooting in RAW DNG.

Also how do you find out how many total shots you've taken with your K-M//K2000 so far? Or do you have to estimate it yourself?