Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #16
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
May I ask why you want 2-3 stops underexposed images anyway? Pushing the chip this way is going to show problems and that's true of any brand. If the idea is to take low ISO high shutter speed images and later use any number of PP tools to 'recover' the image, you're kidding yourself and will get poor results every time.

Take a properly exposed image of the same scene in the same light and the "Problem" disappears.

07-10-2009, 08:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slomojoe Quote
Don't worry about pic noise in underexposed shots: CLEAN UP YOUR ROOM, man!

(Sorry for channeling your mom.)
It's my girlfriends side of the bed, its a mess lol.

Ok last one....then this was just taken outside with an old 50mm Ricoh at 1.7

Bottom left corner where the forklift and tail lights on the white commodore.

Where its really dark there appears to be a lot of noise, running it through noiseware professional gets rid of this, but it just bothers me.

I'm taking the camera with me tomorrow to the melb exhibition centre so will see how i go.

But heres the last one....

Excuse me all for my paranoia but it's not everyday I go buy a brand new SLR lol.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3501/3707486582_9c6ba0b734_o.jpg
07-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #18
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Just for the heck of it, I copied your image to Photoshop. To get close to a proper exposure you are at least 5 stops underexposed. This is crazy.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 600
Size:  71.6 KB
07-10-2009, 08:37 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for everyones feedback and advice.

I am still relatively new to the DSLR arena and this is my first ever semi-pro camera.

07-10-2009, 08:40 AM   #20
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Fair enough. but what you are getting is perfectly normal for exposures like this and that doesn't matter what camera you would be using. Get the correct exposures and the "problem" disappears. Remember that at a certain point the scene is just to dark for a good handheld image no matter what ISO you use. Either a flash or tripod is needed.
07-10-2009, 08:40 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
It's my girlfriends side of the bed, its a mess lol.
Yeah well, your mom was right then - she's no good.
07-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slomojoe Quote
Yeah well, your mom was right then - she's no good.
Lol. She's good at many other things that make up for it, plus she compensates for my faults.

07-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2465/3706575375_59a8a26be3_o.jpg

Yes I have deliberately underexposed the photo, I have never noticed this sort of noise on my K100D look around the black areas.
Well, if you are going to deliberately underexpose you images, you are likely not going to get good images.
Perhaps what you should be doing is exposing your images correctly. I have almost 2k exposures on my K-7 and haven't seen any issues with noise, but I strive for proper exposure.
07-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Fair enough. but what you are getting is perfectly normal for exposures like this and that doesn't matter what camera you would be using. Get the correct exposures and the "problem" disappears. Remember that at a certain point the scene is just to dark for a good handheld image no matter what ISO you use. Either a flash or tripod is needed.
Cheers I was getting very paranoid as I never encountered this sort of effect on the K100D
07-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #25

Photos: Gallery
honestly don't see the noise much either here.

how about a shot with the exposure properly set instead of underexposed ?
07-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #26

Excuse me all for my paranoia but it's not everyday I go buy a brand new SLR lol.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3501/3707486582_9c6ba0b734_o.jpg
It's okay, but you need to realized it IS just paranoia. Your K100D is giving different results partially because it's not even ABLE to capture that much detail so it's throwing more away, and you aren't able to zoom in as close on it because the resolution is lower. There's actually a seriously impressive amount of dynamic range in the images you're showing us, you've got to expect some amounts of noise that under exposed, zoomed up to 1:1.

Keep in mind that your resolution on that K7 14.6 MP compared to the K110D's 6.1MP. That's the difference between being able to print a picture of you life size without any significant loss of quality versus being able to print a picture of you half size. That also means when you pixel peep looking for issues on the K7, you get to look much, much closer for problems.
07-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lol. She's good at many other things that make up for it, plus she compensates for my faults.
You mean she over-exposes her shots?
07-10-2009, 09:05 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
It's okay, but you need to realized it IS just paranoia. Your K100D is giving different results partially because it's not even ABLE to capture that much detail so it's throwing more away, and you aren't able to zoom in as close on it because the resolution is lower. There's actually a seriously impressive amount of dynamic range in the images you're showing us, you've got to expect some amounts of noise that under exposed, zoomed up to 1:1.

Keep in mind that your resolution on that K7 14.6 MP compared to the K110D's 6.1MP. That's the difference between being able to print a picture of you life size without any significant loss of quality versus being able to print a picture of you half size. That also means when you pixel peep looking for issues on the K7, you get to look much, much closer for problems.
Cheers, well thankyou makes me feel a hell of a lot better now.

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Oh ha ha very funny good cheap shot.

I've been playing with the video mode on the camera, so far I like the quality of it, figured out how to lock exposure and all, only annoyance is the flickering caused by 50hz lighting here in australia, I seem to have found a way around it.

Gotta love the shallow DOF, using my 1.7 Ricoh manual lense and really really impessed, must say the shake reduction is amazing.
07-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
07-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #30

Cheers, well thankyou makes me feel a hell of a lot better now.

Oh ha ha very funny good cheap shot.

I've been playing with the video mode on the camera, so far I like the quality of it, figured out how to lock exposure and all, only annoyance is the flickering caused by 50hz lighting here in australia, I seem to have found a way around it.

Gotta love the shallow DOF, using my 1.7 Ricoh manual lense and really really impessed, must say the shake reduction is amazing.
I'm really trying to work in a way to imply you should post correctly exposed pictures of your attractive girlfriend instead of under exposed pictures of computer equipment and machinery, but in a funny and non-pervy sounding way. You'd think I'd be able to, with the obvious "over exposed" double entendre just hanging out there, and the easily misconstrued comment about her side of the bed and things she's good at. I'm going to have to work on it, and get back to you. I haven't had my coffee yet, so it's more difficult than usual to be cheeky.