Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #31
Veteran Member
Christopher M.W.T's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,689
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
I'm really trying to work in a way to imply you should post correctly exposed pictures of your attractive girlfriend instead of under exposed pictures of computer equipment and machinery, but in a funny and non-pervy sounding way. You'd think I'd be able to, with the obvious "over exposed" double entendre just hanging out there, and the easily misconstrued comment about her side of the bed and things she's good at. I'm going to have to work on it, and get back to you. I haven't had my coffee yet, so it's more difficult than usual to be cheeky.
Lol its 2:20am I really should be going to bed now.

Alysia on Flickr - Photo Sharing! early amateur attempt of mine.

07-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #32
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 923
OK, there's definitely speckling in the Really dark portions of your photo.
I can't see the EXIF , but if its ISO100 as stated, its definitely not "normal".
I deliberately shot at ISO100 -2 E/V in a dimly lit room just now, with both my K-7 and trusty K100D. The photos look awful, but they are clean - even the darkest portions are quite free from noise.

If its a consistent problem, I would say there is very likely a problem with your K-7 unit

Sorry, just a curious side question....why would you deliberately underexpose a dimly lit room by -2 E/V ? A very bright outdoor scene I can understand, but a dark-ish room ?
07-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #33
Veteran Member
krypticide's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,079
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Lol its 2:20am I really should be going to bed now.

Alysia on Flickr - Photo Sharing! early amateur attempt of mine.
Oh my god, noise is off the charts in that image.

Just kidding.
07-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #34
Veteran Member
Christopher M.W.T's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,689
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
OK, there's definitely speckling in the Really dark portions of your photo.
I can't see the EXIF , but if its ISO100 as stated, its definitely not "normal".
I deliberately shot at ISO100 -2 E/V in a dimly lit room just now, with both my K-7 and trusty K100D. The photos look awful, but they are clean - even the darkest portions are quite free from noise.

If its a consistent problem, I would say there is very likely a problem with your K-7 unit

Sorry, just a curious side question....why would you deliberately underexpose a dimly lit room by -2 E/V ? A very bright outdoor scene I can understand, but a dark-ish room ?
I'll have a good play tomorrow and see how I go, otherwise will just take it and swap for another.

07-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #35
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wilmore, KY
Posts: 349
hey

I consider "over exposure" a positive point in girlfriends....


QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
You mean she over-exposes her shots?
07-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #36
Veteran Member
nostatic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: socal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,576
QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
I consider "over exposure" a positive point in girlfriends....
how about if she's with your best friend?

Well, if you best friend is a girl then it is ok...
07-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #37
Veteran Member
Christopher M.W.T's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,689
Original Poster
Is anyone finding video mode is really noisy especially when its dark?>
07-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #38
raz
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Timisoara, Romania
Posts: 249
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Is anyone finding video mode is really noisy especially when its dark?>
This is normal with any camera. For a test, film the same scene with a normal camcorder so you can see how bad it is.

07-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #39
Damn Brit
Guest




Moved to beginners Q&A, all I can say is "It's lucky Gooshin didn't see this thread".
07-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #40
Veteran Member
Christopher M.W.T's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,689
Original Poster
Take a look at the bottom near the receiver and PS3, and subwoofer. hmmm, im just not sure.


http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3522/3708946434_1ed28caf90_o.jpg
07-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #41
Veteran Member
schmik's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sydney Aus
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 527
Noise is funny animal that I don't 100% understand. Sure it is affected by iso (that part is a no-brainer) but it is also affected by light. An iso800 shot in good light is quite clean, an iso 800 in a dark area is noisy. My theory is that since the top third of the histogram holds more info than the bottom third the noise is more apparent in darker and/or underexposed images.

Look up some tutorials about the histogram and which section records how much information. It will help you understand it.

BTW, I too went from k100d to K7 and i also find performance...... different.

mike
07-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #42
Veteran Member
Christopher M.W.T's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,689
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
Noise is funny animal that I don't 100% understand. Sure it is affected by iso (that part is a no-brainer) but it is also affected by light. An iso800 shot in good light is quite clean, an iso 800 in a dark area is noisy. My theory is that since the top third of the histogram holds more info than the bottom third the noise is more apparent in darker and/or underexposed images.

Look up some tutorials about the histogram and which section records how much information. It will help you understand it.

BTW, I too went from k100d to K7 and i also find performance...... different.

mike
My spider senses are telling me something isn't right with my unit.
07-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #43
Veteran Member
schmik's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sydney Aus
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 527
I would definitely test it in more light. Make sure you also put into matrix metering mode, rather than spot.
07-10-2009, 11:02 PM   #44
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,468
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Is anyone finding video mode is really noisy especially when its dark?>
Are you still underexposing by five stops and blaming the camera?

In film days, we had a word for underexposing by five stops and complaining about subtleties: Walking on water.
07-10-2009, 11:24 PM   #45
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dawesville,Western Australia.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 129
It" OK..........he"s from Victoria !!!!!!!!!......Oh Yeah....how do we know that he"s a he ????? Bloody noisy in Melbourne
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, pentax help, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bizarre AF Lens? Swift1 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 08-18-2010 07:22 AM
Bizarre K20D operation FruitLooPs Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 06-28-2010 07:24 PM
Help - *istDS stuck in some sort of bizarre loop peetucket Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 07-06-2009 01:08 PM
HELP PLEASE !!! Bizarre K10d exposure problem!! StephenG Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 10-02-2008 12:52 PM
cs3 noise filter vs. noise ninja vs. ??? reknelb Pentax DSLR Discussion 0 03-04-2008 04:55 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:26 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top