Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sd card compatibility

Can anyone tell me whether a SDHC Card is compatible with a K100D,K20D or the new K7?

07-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I believe the K100D, K20D, and K-7 are all compatible with a SDHC memory.
07-10-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks LeDave.My card must be dodgy.It kept coming up with a memory card error.
07-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

What brand is your SDHC from? Non-branded SDHC are known for errors. Also did you download the latest firmware for your K100D? I believe there was a firmware for the K100D that makes it better for SDHC memory.

You can download the latest firmware here http://www.pentaximaging.com/support/manuals-and-literature/

07-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
What brand is your SDHC from? Non-branded SDHC are known for errors. Also did you download the latest firmware for your K100D? I believe there was a firmware for the K100D that makes it better for SDHC memory.

You can download the latest firmware here Manuals and Literature - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
The brand is SanDisk 4GB SDHC Class 2.I took it back to the place of purchase and exchanged it for another one just to see if was a dodgy card.But it's still doing the same thing.I tried the card on a Pentax and a Canon Compact cameras,and it works fine on them.So I will download the latest firmware,like you suggested which I'm going to do asap.Hopefully that will correct the problem of the Memory card error.
07-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

SDHC and K100D

The K100D needs to have its firmware updated. Version 1.0 will not support SDHC. You must download the update from the Pentax website and load it into your camera.

You can tell which version of firmware you have by holding the Menu button down while you turn the camera on. The version number will be displayed on the back LCD.
07-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
The K100D needs to have its firmware updated. Version 1.0 will not support SDHC. You must download the update from the Pentax website and load it into your camera.

You can tell which version of firmware you have by holding the Menu button down while you turn the camera on. The version number will be displayed on the back LCD.
Is the firmware update simple to do?I still have version 1.0 in my camera.I have downloaded the update to my computer,and have read the README-Notepad.It says to copy the firmware file SD Card root directory.Does that mean copy and paste it to the SD card?Once you do this,do you put the SD Card into the camera,while holding the menu button and turn it on????I just want to make sure I get it right.It can be a bit confusing.
07-11-2009, 11:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yes you copy it into your SDHC card, but make sure it's not in any folder. I know my SDHC card has a folder named DCIM or something like that, make sure it's not in that. And yes you hold your menu button down before you turn it on, you switch the On button while the menu button is still down. Make sure you have enough battery.

07-12-2009, 11:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for all your help and advice.I finally got he latest 1.02 firmware updated into my K100D.The SDHC card now works great,which is a relief.