Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2009, 02:36 AM   #31
wll
Veteran Member

I have K20D's but I carry a K200D, why ?

because of the way it feels !

I have the K20D's for any catalog stuff I do, and for low light concert type stuff, but if I don't need to shoot high ISO or have massive files for cropping, I carry the K200D.

It has plenty of resolution, it feels very solid in my hands, it works for me.

As a matter of fact, although I thought of getting rid of my K20D's for K-7's, I going to wait for the K200D replacement to come out.

There are features I don't need on the K-7, and I actually like the polycarbonate body and the neck strap lug system on the K200D and K20D better than the K-7 style. I had K10D's before and the K200D uses the same sensor but I think they improved it a bit. I also like the AA battery system. I don't really need a super fast AF machine and the FPS thing is not important to me, A tilt and shift LCD would be a great benefit to me though, assuming the camer has live view.

It will be interesting to see what the new K200D replacement sensor will be and what the feature set is. I would love them to use the same body as the K200D ... for me, that would be great.

wll

07-29-2009, 09:30 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mercyreaper Quote
As you may easily tell I am new to these forums and I have been doing research on all of the big 3 (Pentax, Canon, Nikon) sure there are others out there. Anyway I decided on a Pentax because it seems they provide very high quality product that is backwards compatible and I like their feature sets of IS in body and pentaprism.

I am trying to decide between the K10 or K2000.
If you specifically want the pentaprism, the K2000 shouldn't be on your list. Only the K20D and K-7 among current models have a pentaprism. The K20D, having been pretty much superceded by the K-7, is on the way out, and can be had new for not that much than what you were looking at paying for the K10D ($600-ish). The K-7 is more like twice that. But the K10D, K20D, and K-7 are the only models that give you stabilization and a pentaprism.

QuoteQuote:
I found a good deal for getting a refurb K10 for $399 (body only). I wanted to get the 50mm 1.4f lens and then expand from there. I would like to start with some good glass, my needs are small and am a first time DSLR user.
I wouldn't recommend the 50/1.4 as a first lens. 50mm was a good first lens for 35mm film cameras, but with the crop factor of APS-C, it's too long to serve that same purpose on a Pentax DSLR. It's still a fine lens for dfferent purposes (more of a portrait lens than a general purpose lens), but you should be looking at something more in the 28-40 range if you are wanting one prime to start with.

And really, you should also be asking yourself if there is really a good reason *not* to get the "kit" zoom lens. Sure, for people who really know exactly what they are doing and what their needs are, it can make sense to use primes only, and there is certain "pride" factor (deserved or not) that sometimes goes with that. But unless you really know your focal lengths well and can have a good sense of exactly what focal lengths you find useful for what purposes, you're kind of doing yourself a disservice by only having one focal length available, I think. A basic zoom like the 18-55 for general use *plus* a prime for use in more demanding situations once you figure out what focal length will serve you best - that should be the default starting place for anyone who can't really convincingly describe why something else makes more sense for them.

I realize others feel a prime is a great place to learn from, so some may disagree with my feelings about learning focal lengths form a zoom here, but I do think most would agree that if you *are* to start with just one prime, 50mm isn't the optimum focal length for APS-C. I'd be trying to scope out an FA35/2.
07-29-2009, 02:34 PM   #33

Thank you Marc for your insightful advice and I truly appreciate your time .

I really have no clue about focal lengths at this point, I am a web developer and gadget geek to a degree so I can figure out instruction manuals that read like stereo instructions without a problem and enjoy learning about my new device.

If you have a recommendation for lenses then I am happy to hear any other advice you can give on the subject for a first time DSLR guy.

I have been doing a lot of reading the past few weeks to become familiar with the jargon and functions that I would require the rest is just bells and whistles really.
07-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #34

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
i'm far from being one of the 'experienced people' on this forum and somewhat feel intimidated to respond on threads but i figured if what i have to say doesn't make sense or is missing something i know i have 10 million others that will correct my ignorance.

mecyreaper- since you're planning to get a body only, rather than getting a 50mm prime, you could get a used or cheap 18-50 or 28-80. go out, shoot and when you get back home review/record what focal lengths you've been shooting in. few weeks of your records should give you an idea which prime to go for if you really want to go with a prime.