Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2009, 04:44 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I don't use the scene modes either, but for someone that isn't comfortable beyond the basics of a point and shoot, the k2000 would ease the transaction more so than the k20D, and still offer more than ample opportunity to learn the skils and techinical aspects of DSLR shooting. But, anyone with the desire to learn either camera should be able to do so.

I spent a week shooting with the K20d. Yep, tons of features. It also was not nearly as comfortable for me to grip with my smaller hands compared to the k2000. The very conservative metering of the K20d did sort of bug me, but that wasn't the "deal breaker".

The viewfinder on the K2000 is big and bright enough for me. Same VF as the K200D. I use the digital preview for checking dof and what not.

Anyhow, for me personally, the best camera wasn't the K20D. Not because it isn't a nice camera, but because I prefered the fit of the K2000 and I will be able to use the extra $230 I didn't spend on the K20D body toward a DA40 lens and a dedicated flash.

For the next person, the K20D may indeed be the better choice. I reccomended the k2000 for the orginal poster who has not ventured beyond the full auto mode of his/her point and shoot camera but wants to dive into a DSLR. The k2000 may not have some of the more advanced feaures of the K20D, but it is designed to nicely bridge the jump from point and shoot to DSLR more so than the K20D.

The bottom line is that either camera should work nicely for them and in the end, they will have to choose their own favorite flavor of Pentax DSLR.

Last edited by Sew-Classic; 07-18-2009 at 04:52 AM.
07-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
how much heavier and bulkier is the k20d?
It's kind of a personal thing. Some people find the difference negligible; some find the K2000 and K200D too small and the k20D perfect, others find the K2000 perfect but the K200D too large and the K20 out of the question. Personally, I see the distinction to my hands as being the the K200D (and presumably K2000) is a one-hand-on-the-body camera (with the left hand supporting & working the lens), while the K20D is two-hands-on-the-body.

QuoteQuote:
CMOS sensor for high iso (indoor shooting)
Frankly, the difference isn't all that big. Shoot the same scene in the same light with the same lens and same exposure settings, and while you might be able to see a difference viewed large enough, it isn't a big difference, and wouldn't be visible at screen size or in small-medium prints.

QuoteQuote:
significantly larger buffer (this and the above are in hopes of some action shots)
ability to stop down (dof preview, and legacy lenses support https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/389694-post48.html )
pentaprism
af fine tuning
That and the second dial - for my purposes, mostly as a way of quickly changing ISO - are indeed the main advantages of the K20D. The K200D kind of splits the difference, with some of the better features from the K20D (including DOF preview for use with manual lenses, and weather sealing), and to my hands a good compromise between the desire for a small and light body against the desire for some of the features of the higher end bodies.

QuoteQuote:
does the k2000 have the green button ?
No, but there is nothing important the Green button does that can't be done by some other button on the models that lack the Green button.
07-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #18

teetoeb,

If you haven't done so already, you may find reading over the manuals for the models that you are considering to be a good way to get a feel for the user interface and available functions of the different cameras.

K2000 Manual

K20D Manual
07-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K20 is definitely a step up. That said, the biggest difference between cameras is the person standing behind them and the glass on the front of them. If you find the ergonomics of the K2000 comfortable, then I would keep it for awhile and invest in some good glass. If on the other hand, you don't feel like it is comfortable, search out a K10 or K20 body to hold and see how you like it. They are quite chunky, but I have to say, I can shoot with the K20 and the DA 50-135 all afternoon and not feel strained.

I guess that makes the point that if you plan to get larger lenses (50-135; 70-200 f2.8, etc) then a bigger body will tend to balance it a lot better than the K2000.

07-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #20

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions. I've stuck with the km and figured that it will be a great light body to bring around if and when i decide to upgrade to the k-infinity. I've acquired the M 50 f1.7 yesterday for cheap, been shooting around and loving it.

when i turn the km on in m-mode, it asks what focal length the lens is, do i put 50 or 75?

Last edited by teetoeb; 07-19-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: wasn't sure if i should start another thread or just add another question.
07-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by teetoeb Quote
when i turn the km on in m-mode, it asks what focal length the lens is, do i put 50 or 75?
50mm is 50mm on whatever format you are going to shoot. The field of view changes with different formats but the focal length stays the same.
07-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It's kind of a personal thing. Some people find the difference negligible; some find the K2000 and K200D too small and the k20D perfect, others find the K2000 perfect but the K200D too large and the K20 out of the question. Personally, I see the distinction to my hands as being the the K200D (and presumably K2000) is a one-hand-on-the-body camera (with the left hand supporting & working the lens), while the K20D is two-hands-on-the-body.
that seems like a pretty big difference, I'd definitely want to be able to do one hand on body one hand adjusting the lens - but i've never shot with a dslr before. I thought that's what you did with most/all of them!

07-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #23
Veteran Member

that seems like a pretty big difference, I'd definitely want to be able to do one hand on body one hand adjusting the lens - but i've never shot with a dslr before. I thought that's what you did with most/all of them!
The D40 is the closest size to the K2000 that Best Buy has on the shelf. Go to best buy, hold the D40 and play around with its feel. If you like the feel of that, it's going to feel similar to the K2000. I don't know about the K20D because I've never held it before, but it's going to be bigger and bulkier.
07-24-2009, 11:25 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Oh, it's not that you *can't* use the K20D this way. I'm just talking about what feels most natural to *my* hands.
07-25-2009, 01:01 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
The D40 is the closest size to the K2000 that Best Buy has on the shelf. Go to best buy, hold the D40 and play around with its feel. If you like the feel of that, it's going to feel similar to the K2000. I don't know about the K20D because I've never held it before, but it's going to be bigger and bulkier.
Thanks, I will definitely check it out.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Oh, it's not that you *can't* use the K20D this way. I'm just talking about what feels most natural to *my* hands.
well, i am a smaller frame guy with smaller hands :\ and I worry of something being too heavy for me to hold steady (already a problem of mine) any canikon cameras of comparable size/weight at bestbuy?
07-25-2009, 01:14 AM   #26
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I could probably challenge you with being a smaller guy with smaller hands, and have experienced using the *ist D, K100D, K-m, K10D and K20D. I have never had a problem with the weight, handle or feel of any of these cameras. In fact, I prefer the K10D/K20D to the smaller *ist D/K-m bodies because I can get a firmer grip with them with a well rounded balanced feel.

Just go to your local store and have a test drive of the 500D/1000D from Canon as well as the D40/D60/D90 from Nikon to compare with the menu offered by Pentax...
07-25-2009, 11:34 AM   #27
Veteran Member

well, i am a smaller frame guy with smaller hands :\ and I worry of something being too heavy for me to hold steady (already a problem of mine) any canikon cameras of comparable size/weight at bestbuy?
Best I can do is suggest looking over the specs (all are listed on dpreview) to see for yourself how different cameras compare.
07-25-2009, 07:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Right now I'm using Sanyo Eneloop pre-charged. I have 8 of them. I am still on my Lithium's at the moment as they haven't ran out yet and I am at over 600 shots with my K-M/K2000 now. I prefer Sanyo Eneloops because a lot of people here use them for their K200D and K-M/K2000.
I've taken around 1600ish photos, maybe more on the original batteries. I bought it in Japan while I was on a short vacation as the K-M was cheaper there than Korea. I also picked up another set of the 4 lithiums because I didn't know how long they'd last. Still showing full green after all those photos.
they're cheap in Korea, so I'll probably keep using them.
07-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #29
Forum Member

hi, i will buy a better body, don't do the same mistake as me,
first I buy olympus e-410 - good small camera - i use it as a point and shot.
but as on that time it was only couple of lenses on the market and the adapters for
om / to 3/4 was crazy expensive,
so i bought k200d - good camera after a month I have full house off inexpensive
pentax A and M lenses, after one month I exchange does lenses for the same but with autofocus .
and after less then year I'm proud owner off olympus, k200d, k20d, canon 350d, p30, mz-6 and a full rucksack off lenses. photography is like a DISEASE !
better buy a best body as you will buy one anyway, off course buy this what you have enough many for.
(I know my English is bad - sorry)
07-29-2009, 01:09 AM   #30

DSLR issue

Hi everyone,

As you may easily tell I am new to these forums and I have been doing research on all of the big 3 (Pentax, Canon, Nikon) sure there are others out there. Anyway I decided on a Pentax because it seems they provide very high quality product that is backwards compatible and I like their feature sets of IS in body and pentaprism.

I am trying to decide between the K10 or K2000. I found a good deal for getting a refurb K10 for $399 (body only). I wanted to get the 50mm 1.4f lens and then expand from there. I would like to start with some good glass, my needs are small and am a first time DSLR user.

I do light photography but want a system I can grow into (hence the choice for Pentax). I do art photogrphy for my wife since she is a painter. I like to do general photography but nothing serious.

I am just looking to tap some of those experienced people here and see what advice you have for me. Thank you for listening .