Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2009, 10:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
k-m/k2000 or k20d

I know the specs, read the reviews and did a lot of reading on these two great bodies. I know that it depends what I plan to do with it. I guess, I can't decide which makes more sense to do. I frame subjects well, like point and shoot but also have an interest in the art of photography. I've had a mz-10 for the longest time, taken decent shots but sticking in the green mode. Didn't really experiment with aperture, shutter speed etc. Finally wanting to joint the dslr world.

I think I'm looking at the km because of the price and the easy transition from green mode/point and shoot but I don't want to limit the learning process and what i can do because i went for the beginner body.

My question is, do i buy the km, invest in good lenses, upgrade the body later when im ready or do i just jump in now spend a lil more on the k20 and stick with two lenses (fa 28-80, fa 80-320) that i have...

I'm sorry for the long explanation and yet somewhat stupid question thanks for anyone's input.

cheers

07-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by teetoeb Quote
I know the specs, read the reviews and did a lot of reading on these two great bodies. I know that it depends what I plan to do with it. I guess, I can't decide which makes more sense to do. I frame subjects well, like point and shoot but also have an interest in the art of photography. I've had a mz-10 for the longest time, taken decent shots but sticking in the green mode. Didn't really experiment with aperture, shutter speed etc. Finally wanting to joint the dslr world.

I think I'm looking at the km because of the price and the easy transition from green mode/point and shoot but I don't want to limit the learning process and what i can do because i went for the beginner body.

My question is, do i buy the km, invest in good lenses, upgrade the body later when im ready or do i just jump in now spend a lil more on the k20 and stick with two lenses (fa 28-80, fa 80-320) that i have...

I'm sorry for the long explanation and yet somewhat stupid question thanks for anyone's input.

cheers
I would say that the K20 is such a good deal now, that if you have any interest in learning photography, don't bother buying bodies twice. (There's still a 'Green' mode: what you don't get is scene modes, which are useful if you *don't* really want to learn what's going on.)

Glass is paramount, but you won't get better glass by buying two different bodies.
07-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Welcome to the forum. First, it's always a good plan to invest in lenses.
From what you said in your post, I would recommend the K2000/Km. It has a lot of features that will make it easy for you to take pictures and at the same time ease you into the more advanced stuff. It has the added advantage of being a suitable family camera giving you the ability to just point&shoot if you want.
07-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have the K-M/K2000, I had it for about a week now. I am impressed by the amount of things I had to learn from jumping to a DSLR from point-and-shoot. But the K-M/K2000 made it easier in a way, probably because of its easy to navigate and use interface and most importantly this forum. I was considering about the K20D also but ultimately decided on the K-M/K2000 to save money as well as it being my first DSLR. Sure the K20D might pack more power but the K-M/K2000 still works like a DSLR and still requires the same knowledge and technique to work as the K20D.

At first I was reading about limitations too and was afraid that the K-M/K2000 would limit my learning ability faster. After playing with my new toy for quite awhile, I realized that there is much more to learn than just the camera itself and any DSLR limits itself based on how you limit your learning. Every DSLR works the same as stated, you'll have to learn F-stops, shutter speed, and ISO. The only true limitation is in the camera body from having less features, but those features have nothing to do with YOU and your knowledge on how to produce the image you want. Every DSLR has the capability to produce superior picture based on your knowledge and your technique, but eventually you're going to upgrade to a larger camera for those more features and higher MP and more accurate image quality.

Because of Pentax, the K-M/K2000 is backwards compatible with all K-mount lenses, meaning you will be able to mount the same lenses as the K20D and the lenses have a part to do with the image quality.

07-11-2009, 05:19 AM   #5

I purchased a K20D from QVC as my first DSLR. I actually have had some previous experience with a film slr many moons ago, and with my point & shoots, I pretty almost never used the auto mode. I prefered program shift mode or aperature prioty for my shooting with my point & shoot..

Anyhow, I sent the k20D back. No, it wasn't too complicated, but it was heavy, and overall, I just didn't love it enough to keep. I did spend quite a bit of time experimenting with the camera and reading the manual over the course of a week. IMHO, I would not buy this camera with the intent of living in the green mode. That would probably end up disapointing you.

Ive ordered the k2000 body only kit from B&H to replace the k20D. I also have the 18-250 lens to use as a travel set up, and I plan to add some primes in the near future for use at parties and for portraits. With the money that I save over the k20, there is more $ for lenses. I did have a chance to get to know the k2000 breifly once before. What am I giving up?

Weather sealing- (never had a weather sealed camera, and I probably don't need one, but it is a nice feature).

The auto focus point indicator, and 6 extra auto focus points. - I won't miss that as I only use one auto focus point anyhow (center). I' point, focus and recompose. Just an old habit from my film days.

Seperate AE and AF lock buttons. Again, not a tough work around for me. The features are there, just the interface will be a bit different.

top mount lcd display - not a big deal for me to look at the back lcd or along the bottom of the view finder. That's what I've been doing with my point & shoot.

Oh, and I will have to click a button on my computer to rotate portait orientation shots 90 degrees. Again, not a deal breaker.

However, the k2000 was a much better fit for me. It will be less bulky and more likely to still come along rather than be left behind as I go places.

Anyhow, I have to agree that the k2000 will make for an easier transition, and it is packed with features, functions and adjustments that will allow you to take control of your photography when you're ready.
07-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #6

I am yet another guy who found out his point and shoot just wasn't enough.

I had the same dilemma so I asked around and got multiple recommendations to pick the cheaper body and invest in lenses instead.

I am very happy with that decision.

However, if money is not a problem, take a look at the K-7.
07-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Highend or lowend, it's just a camera afterall. K-m & better lenses if u ask me.
07-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #8

Original Poster
thanks for everyone's input and opinions. I'm glad i joined this forum.

this is my second shot at replying, i got timed out and everything i wrote got erased. so its gonna be the short version.

I've purchased the k-m and have had it for about a week but decided not to play with it as much as i want because I couldn't decide which model i want. I guess, i'll be playing with it this weekend to get a good feel of the k-m. I have 30 days to exchange it for a different model/camera if i decide to.

since i'll be playing with it, any suggestions on rechargeable lithium battery? sanyo vs ansmann vs maha vs sony?

thanks again and i hope to reply to your thread soon.

07-12-2009, 01:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Right now I'm using Sanyo Eneloop pre-charged. I have 8 of them. I am still on my Lithium's at the moment as they haven't ran out yet and I am at over 600 shots with my K-M/K2000 now. I prefer Sanyo Eneloops because a lot of people here use them for their K200D and K-M/K2000.
07-12-2009, 02:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Since Sanyo introduced Eneloop AA, there is no practical reason of using RCR-V3 anymore. Those Sony 2000mAh AA are Eneloop with different label. Panasonic BQ-390 charger with R2 AA cells are good too.
07-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by impact Quote
I am yet another guy who found out his point and shoot just wasn't enough.

I had the same dilemma so I asked around and got multiple recommendations to pick the cheaper body and invest in lenses instead.

I am very happy with that decision.

However, if money is not a problem, take a look at the K-7.
WOW, you saved enough money to buy that?? !!!
07-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #12

Haha, no! I can only wish...
07-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #13

km or k20d

well, if i would have gotten here sooner I'd have told you to go with the k20d if you didn't care about size and weight. However, I have a KM also, so its not as if I don't think it's a good camera. congrats. I'm sure you'll have a blast.
I use the energizer rechargables with that mobile charger on amazon(?)... I think that's what it's called, anyway great battery life.
07-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sew-Classic Quote
What am I giving up?

Weather sealing- (never had a weather sealed camera, and I probably don't need one, but it is a nice feature).

The auto focus point indicator, and 6 extra auto focus points. - I won't miss that as I only use one auto focus point anyhow (center). I' point, focus and recompose. Just an old habit from my film days.

Seperate AE and AF lock buttons. Again, not a tough work around for me. The features are there, just the interface will be a bit different.

top mount lcd display - not a big deal for me to look at the back lcd or along the bottom of the view finder. That's what I've been doing with my point & shoot.

Oh, and I will have to click a button on my computer to rotate portait orientation shots 90 degrees. Again, not a deal breaker.

However, the k2000 was a much better fit for me. It will be less bulky and more likely to still come along rather than be left behind as I go places.
how much heavier and bulkier is the k20d? I am, as many other people were, deciding between these two. I am quite familiar with manual controls and never used scene modes. in addition to what you listed, the main features I like in the k20d are:

CMOS sensor for high iso (indoor shooting)
significantly larger buffer (this and the above are in hopes of some action shots)
ability to stop down (dof preview, and legacy lenses support https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/389694-post48.html )
pentaprism
af fine tuning

but k2000 has better low light af, AA bats, and size/weight may be the main factor for me. does the k2000 have the green button ?

Last edited by Eruditass; 07-17-2009 at 09:53 PM.
07-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
how much heavier and bulkier is the k20d? I am, as many other people were, deciding between these two. I am quite familiar with manual controls and never used scene modes. in addition to what you listed, the main features I like in the k20d are:

CMOS sensor for high iso (indoor shooting)
significantly larger buffer (this and the above are in hopes of some action shots)
ability to stop down (dof preview, and legacy lenses support https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/389694-post48.html )
pentaprism
af fine tuning

but k2000 has better low light af, AA bats, and size/weight may be the main factor for me. does the k2000 have the green button ?
The K2000 may have better low light AF but it's not really that big of a difference. Most people don't use AF in low-light because it's better to manual focus at night, well for me at least. The K20D is pretty much a better camera in almost all ways. But the lens do play a huge factor in the image quality and not just the camera body. It's a hard choice because the K20D is at it's lowest pricing right now due to the K-7. I myself own a K2000 and I am very happy with this camera so far. I haven't felt a K20D so I really don't know how much heavier it is on my hands compared to the K2000. But The K2000 is pretty light, I believe it's a little heavier than the Rebel XS and D60 though. And nope the K2000 does not have the green button. The K2000 is about the size of a Nikon D40, maybe a tiny bit smaller that is not noticeable.

K2000: 123 x 92 x 68 mm (4.8 x 3.6 x 2.7 in) 590 g (20.8 oz) (1.3 lbs)
K20D: 142 x 101 x 70 mm (5.6 x 4 x 2.8 in) 800 g (28.2 oz) (1.8 lbs)

Last edited by LeDave; 07-17-2009 at 10:23 PM.