Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
CPL as a ND?

Will a CPL reduce the amount of incoming light when shooting toward the sun, for example sunrises and sunsets.
Or is it constructed in such a way that it only cuts the amount of incoming light when the sun is at a ninety degree angle?
I know it reduces glare and the washing out of colors at ninety degrees to the sun, but what about light in general at any angle? Or does it vary by the angle?

Thank you for any response.

Jim

07-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Hi Jim,

Believe me, a CPL reduces the light - about 2 stops. I pretty much have one on my 12-24 all the time. It's only removed when lighting or other conditions warrant it.

That doesn't mean you cannot consider an ND filter. I am just giving you my example/situation. The CPL is one of my favorite filters.

Regards,
Marc
07-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like Marc said, yes, you can use one as a ND. However one word of warning, a CPL is not necessarily neutral. By that I mean you can't stack them with impunity. I once forgot my ND filters and wanted to take some slow moving water shots. So I stacked two PLs together. I got the light reduction I wanted but totally confused the poor DS's WB. I was getting electric blue shots and stuff that looked like it had been shot thru some sort of weird red lens, but nothing even remotely "normal".

NaCl(I thought I was about 40 years younger and "grooving on the colors man")H2O