Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #1

Lens choices

I am a new Pentax K10D owner and making an attempt to graduate from the point and shoot camera. I have ordered a new lens from a local retailer, 18-250mm Pentax which was recommended for it's "all around" capability. Given a choice, is their another lens you would recommend to start with? I will probably be using my camera for the typical walk around shots etc. I am not afraid to spend money on good equipment and my equipment may end up with me in Kandahar where it is real dusty so that is a big consideration.
I am just looking for what more experienced people would suggest.

Thanx in advance,

Derek

07-12-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Welcome to the forum Derek, congrats on the K10D
The 18-250 is a good lens to start with. You may want to consider getting a prime lens in the 35mm, 50mm or 85mm range with a faster aperture than the zoom has. That will give you lower light shooting ability that the zoom can't handle and better image quality.
Apart from that, it's really going to depend on what you shoot. If you like Macro, you can get a macro in all those three prime lengths I mentioned. If you like wildlife, you may want to get something longer than 250mm.
As you get used to your camera, take note of what focal lengths you are using with the 18-250 and what types of pictures you take (or can't take because of the limitations of your zoom). That information will really help you decide what lenses are going to be most useful to you.