Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2009, 06:43 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
Not as satisfying as a split prism focusing aid, but you should get a flash of light on the focusing screen and an audible beep from your camera when it comes into focus.
I wish I had a dime for every time I have pointed out that the red square on the focusing screen is not the focus confirmation indicator.

Personally, I find the red square and the beep annoying and I have turned them off.

The focus confirmation indicator is the green hexagon at the bottom of the screen. (And a split-prism is not a "rangefinder". That's an entirely different beast).

07-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vmax.

That is a terrible lens! It has cooties! and weirdies and all kinds of stuff! I consulted a psychic and she said that the best way to get rid of it and to placate the evil spirits is to throw it out your bedroom window at 8:35PM on Sunday the 26th. Pay absolutely no attention to the gentleman out on the lawn with the butterfly net.

As far a split focus screens are concerned check out Katzeye. Do a search here at PF, there a myriad of threads discussing it, and the cheaper chinese knock-offs. I don't remember quite where it is, but Pentax poke did a nice demo and write up on it. There are even some youtube installation demos.

NaCl(many many swear by them)H2O
07-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Vmax.

That is a terrible lens! It has cooties! and weirdies and all kinds of stuff! I consulted a psychic and she said that the best way to get rid of it and to placate the evil spirits is to throw it out your bedroom window at 8:35PM on Sunday the 26th. Pay absolutely no attention to the gentleman out on the lawn with the butterfly net.

As far a split focus screens are concerned check out Katzeye. Do a search here at PF, there a myriad of threads discussing it, and the cheaper chinese knock-offs. I don't remember quite where it is, but Pentax poke did a nice demo and write up on it. There are even some youtube installation demos.

NaCl(many many swear by them)H2O

Hahaha!!!!!!!! That's pretty good.

I should really know better, since I do enjoy working with older things and getting them to perform again. Clear cut case is my 1989 Toyota 4Runner......I went all the way to Texas to bring back a rust free old 4Runner (I like the 2 door vs. 4 door model). Guy I bought it from said "I don't know if it will make it back to Michigan with a bad engine". Long story short, I picked up 3 cans of STP motor honey, limped it back to Michigan, tore the engine out, rebuilt it, and rebuilt everything else that needed done, and it really is a nice outfit again. I'll never drive it in the winter, down a salty Michigan road, but nobody said what people do have to make sense.

I need to start playing with that old lens on my "new" camera.

vmax84

07-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
It's a great wee lens, just leave it on the camera for a month or so and see how you can't live without it after that time.

I use manual primes almost all the time and can recommend changing to a Katzeye screen, but see how you get on to start with.

Remenber to enjoy your photography.

07-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #20
Veteran Member

That lens is terrible. Somehow it seems to mess up humans. Is it misanthropic?
07-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"misanthropic"???????.................have you been drinking????

vmax84
07-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
I need to look into that, since I still like the lens and would like to use it. And, I really like that kind of focusing.

vmax84
As far as I know these focusing screens are only available for replacement for the K10D upwards.
We can't replace the the focusing screen of the K100D.
I guess you have to be content with the image from blur to clear focusing.
..and yeah, that lens is not a very good lens as it is very hard to aquire one specially from evilbay as it fetches too much a ridiculous price for me to stomach.
If I were you, I would just throw it away as some people would always be after you for it!

07-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
Hahaha!!!!!!!! That's pretty good.

I should really know better, since I do enjoy working with older things and getting them to perform again. Clear cut case is my 1989 Toyota 4Runner......I went all the way to Texas to bring back a rust free old 4Runner (I like the 2 door vs. 4 door model). Guy I bought it from said "I don't know if it will make it back to Michigan with a bad engine". Long story short, I picked up 3 cans of STP motor honey, limped it back to Michigan, tore the engine out, rebuilt it, and rebuilt everything else that needed done, and it really is a nice outfit again. I'll never drive it in the winter, down a salty Michigan road, but nobody said what people do have to make sense.

I need to start playing with that old lens on my "new" camera.

vmax84

I told you they were bad lens!
The 2 guys on the picutre aren't even recognizable! Not tack sharp!
Throw it away!!!!
07-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I told you they were bad lens!
The 2 guys on the picutre aren't even recognizable! Not tack sharp!
Throw it away!!!!
I can't even remember which camera and lens I used for this........assuming the K100D and the kit lens.

Yeah, the people aren't all that clear in this one, huh?!!!

vmax84
07-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In all seriousness (is that a word?), really, what makes this lens so decent? I bought it and the Pentax MG at the same time back in 1984 when I was stationed over in Germany. About the first thing I did (besides have a few good German beers!!) over there was purchase the camera and lens.

I can't remember what I paid for the outfit when I purchased it (been a few years!), but at the time, I was 19 and didn't have much money (hmmmmm.......some things don't change!!), so I know it wasn't that much. The military prices for electronics and cameras were very good, but I'm still surprised this was a "kit" lens.

Maybe that's just what they did back then.

vmax84
07-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think the attraction to the 50mm A 1.7 has as much to do with afford-ability and convenience as the IQ. I just bought one from a member here for around $75 and have seen them on the Bay for less...great price for a good "A" lens IMO.
07-14-2009, 06:33 PM   #27
Forum Member

It was the kit lens on my Program A which I bought in 1985. The camera plus lens cost ZAR 666 back then. At today's excahnge rate that is the equivalent of $ 81
Now that was a good buy!
I still have them both (mint condition) and use the lens on my K10 on occasion - great lens.
07-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #28
Veteran Member

What makes this lens so good?

Optical quality. Argued that it is better than the 50/1.4 of similar vintage. Probably nearly as good as the FA50/1.4, and not far away from the DA limiteds. Which isn't saying much--a 50mm prime is probably the easiest lens to make in 35mm (120) format.

Pentax-A. This is a sweet spot: they work with our DSLR's auto-exposure modes and they are dedicated manual focus lenses. Newer Pentax lenses don't manually focus as nicely; older lenses don't have the same coating or auto-exposure ability.

Price. Despite all of that, you can get them for $15 on eBay from time to time, or the majority of $100 pretty much anytime.

I dunno. If you don't like using it, no worries, nobody should hate you. The lens was enjoyable to use. That's all.
07-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is a little bit odd as a kit lens. The Pentax-M 50mm f2.0 would make more sense, because the MG was an inexpensive camera and can't use any of the A features. But Pentax may have sold it that way because it didn't cost them much more to make it that way.

It is a good lens because of its large maximum aperture of f1.7 and its A setting which allows it to work well with your camera. It is a bit sharper than the 50mm f1.4 lenses at f1.7 or f2.0, and has a flatter field - those other lenses have a slight curve to the plane of focus, noticeable when you compare them at short distances. It's designed for manual focus so it's better at that than the auto-focus lenses.

It makes a good low light lens, a good portrait lens and an inexpensive macro lens with closeup filters and/or extension tubes. It would be a good choice to photograph paintings.
07-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #30
Inactive Account

I also have this lens however I have the M series. I was a little nervous using it at first because for older lenses you have to use full manual but experimenting with it for a few days the lens (and myself) began to produce some great images. It's one of my favorite lenses to use.

Make sure you check out the guide to manual lenses on your pentax here:

Shooting manual lenses on Pentax DSLRs « robertsdonovan.com