Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #16
Forum Member

It's a new feature!

Your dog will come running to you when you power up yor K-7!

All kidding aside, this is apparently normal. Pentax Europe GmbH addressed this concern in a FAQ media release:
http://media.pentax.de/downloads/photo/de/17531/Fragen%20und%20Antworten.pdf

Translation:

"When you turn the camera the camera makes a strange noise. A strange "noise and beep" is heard.

In the K-7, the aperture control is provided with a motor. Once powered up, it goes into the standby position. The difference between old/new and mechanically/electronically is especially audible using old K-lenses and the Low Beam key is engaged. Ultrasonic sensor cleaning in the K-7 is done on start-up. This process can be perceived as a high frequency sound."

I have no idea what the reference to a "Low Beam Key" means.

07-15-2009, 03:31 AM   #17
Forum Member

thats essentially what i said a few posts earlier

concerning the "low beam key": thats just a translation error. in the original text it says "Abblendtaste" which would translate into DOF-Preview (the one at the on/off switch).
07-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #18

So we all get the "DOF-Preview sound" followed by "dust reduction squeek" upon start-up?

I do.
08-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I noticed the same sounds when I first started up my K-7. While I'm confident that it's the normal initial start-up sounds that accompany the dust reduction process, it did prompt me to wonder about something else.

When I first noticed there was even a startup "sound" I recall holding the camera close to my ear, and in the process of doing so I turned the camera over. When I did this it felt as if something inside the camera settled into a new position. It's hard to describe. Imagine you are holding a box containing another box that's almost, but not exactly, the same size as the outer box. And when you tilt the outer box you can feel the inner box move slightly.

I figured out that this only occurs when I turn the camera over completely like an upside-down turtle. Simply tilting the camera to one side or another does not produce the sensation. And that's really what it is, a sensation. You can't so much hear it as feel it. I confirmed that it's not the battery sloshing around in its compartment and it's not the lens.

Forgive me going slightly off topic, but I figured that if people were paying such close attention to the sound the camera makes they might also notice any oddities in the handling. Can anyone else reproduce this phenomena? Should I be concerned? Otherwise the camera seems to work flawlessly and I'm very happy with it!

08-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LowVoltage Quote
...When I first noticed there was even a startup "sound" I recall holding the camera close to my ear, and in the process of doing so I turned the camera over. When I did this it felt as if something inside the camera settled into a new position. It's hard to describe. Imagine you are holding a box containing another box that's almost, but not exactly, the same size as the outer box. And when you tilt the outer box you can feel the inner box move slightly...
You just did a great job of describing exactly what the sensor assembly looks like when it's out of the camera. The inner box is the sensor, the outer box attaches it to the camera. Don't worry, it's supposed to do that.
08-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #21
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I noticed the same sounds when I first started up my K-7. While I'm confident that it's the normal initial start-up sounds that accompany the dust reduction process, it did prompt me to wonder about something else.

When I first noticed there was even a startup "sound" I recall holding the camera close to my ear, and in the process of doing so I turned the camera over. When I did this it felt as if something inside the camera settled into a new position. It's hard to describe. Imagine you are holding a box containing another box that's almost, but not exactly, the same size as the outer box. And when you tilt the outer box you can feel the inner box move slightly.

I figured out that this only occurs when I turn the camera over completely like an upside-down turtle. Simply tilting the camera to one side or another does not produce the sensation. And that's really what it is, a sensation. You can't so much hear it as feel it. I confirmed that it's not the battery sloshing around in its compartment and it's not the lens.

Forgive me going slightly off topic, but I figured that if people were paying such close attention to the sound the camera makes they might also notice any oddities in the handling. Can anyone else reproduce this phenomena? Should I be concerned? Otherwise the camera seems to work flawlessly and I'm very happy with it!
That "something else" is the sound of your sensor inside the camera. That's totally normal - in fact, that's one of the basic things for SR in camera to work - sensor has to move around. Also, it allows tilting and image moving features in K-7.
12-29-2009, 11:28 PM   #22

Just got a K7 yesterday, and I'm noticing the same sounds too.

2 distinct sounds.
First a louder and more mechanical sound that sounds like a normal startup noise, and then a sudden burst of squeeks (SQUEEKsqueekSQUEEK).

Since everyone else is having the same issue, I assume it's normal, but the squeeking is very off-putting the first time you hear it. It's a high enough pitch that it sounds almost like glass scraping on glass or something. Definitely worried me quite a bit the first time I heard it.

12-29-2009, 11:29 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
That "something else" is the sound of your sensor inside the camera. That's totally normal - in fact, that's one of the basic things for SR in camera to work - sensor has to move around. Also, it allows tilting and image moving features in K-7.
Well, I never noticed any high pitched squeeks on my K10D.
Maybe the K20D had them, but in all the years I had it the K10D never made a noise like that.
12-30-2009, 06:54 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Why do people, when they don't know what the hell is going on with their equipment automatically presume that the equipment is faulty?
Why, when it appears to function normally in every other respect, not just presume that it is doing what it is supposed to be doing?
This continuously looking for problems can't be good for people's mental stability.
01-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Is the sound clicked on everyone's k-7 or just some of us?
mine got that sound too :S
01-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #26
Veteran Member

You can turn it off in the menus and only use it when necessary.
01-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jacksonpritt Quote
Well, I never noticed any high pitched squeeks on my K10D.
Maybe the K20D had them, but in all the years I had it the K10D never made a noise like that.
If you're referring to a "squeek" at startup, that would presumably the dust reduction system, which according to Pentax is "improved over previous K-series cameras, features a piezo-ceramic vibration action to the sensor’s low-pass filter for dust-free image capture").