Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #1

K-7 strange not nice sound during starting up...

Hi,
can anybody hear a short unpleasant sound, when you turn on your camera?
Similar to checking DOF in K10D/K20D.

The reason, that I discovered, is this small aperture lever inside the camera, which very quickly shakes up and down....

Is that normal?

07-13-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
Damn Brit

It's the dust removal.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 07-13-2009 at 11:23 PM.
07-13-2009, 11:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
It's the shake reduction.
Eh? Gary this sound like crazy talk mate...

Is it possible you've activated a dust removal on startup option? I've reading this sounds like a buzzing on startup vs. the old rapid clunking sound of the older models with the dust removal feature.

Edit: if you're seeing the aperture actuation lever shaking on startup, that would be weird, but I don't have my k7 yet so I can't say for sure.
07-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Eh? Gary this sound like crazy talk mate...

Is it possible you've activated a dust removal on startup option? I've reading this sounds like a buzzing on startup vs. the old rapid clunking sound of the older models with the dust removal feature.

Edit: if you're seeing the aperture actuation lever shaking on startup, that would be weird, but I don't have my k7 yet so I can't say for sure.
Oops! You know what it's like with a new baby Josh.
I've corrected my post, I knew what I meant.

07-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
It's the dust removal.
No, this is definetely NOT the dust removal. The dust removal in K-7 is nearly soundless, however you can hear a very high tone from the inside of the camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Yes, I can see it. That's why I'm asking K-7 owners.
07-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Samp Quote
No, this is definetely NOT the dust removal. The dust removal in K-7 is nearly soundless, however you can hear a very high tone from the inside of the camera.
I made a booboo, see above.
07-13-2009, 11:47 PM   #7

Original Poster
BTW, I'm not the Pentax Beginner....

I use Pentax since 1998, I own ME Super, MZ-3, i also owned MZ-6, K10D and K20D... I really know what I'm writing about.

Here I found a post describing similar problem:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=32353530
07-14-2009, 03:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I heard it to, then realised its the ultrasonic dust cleaner....trust me, ultrasonic ie HIGH frequency!

07-14-2009, 03:42 AM   #9

Original Poster
It's NOT the dust cleaning, dust cleaning sound is AFTER that strange one – it's a specific high frequency whistle. I recognize it.

I'm afraid somethings wrong with the ON/OFF switch. It simply tries to check DOF, each time when its being turned on. Also when camera goes to "sleep mode" and wakes up, the same event appears.
07-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did the dust removal option when the lens was off and it does get pretty high when you do that.
07-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi,
can anybody hear a short unpleasant sound, when you turn on your camera?
Similar to checking DOF in K10D/K20D.

The reason, that I discovered, is this small aperture lever inside the camera, which very quickly shakes up and down....

Is that normal?
Make a video so we can hear/see it. Might help you get a better answer.
07-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #12
Forum Member

theres a thread about the same "problem" in a german forum.

it really is the aperure lever. if you have a lens on while turning the k7 on, the aperture of the lens opens and closes, too.

the OP asked pentax about this behaviour and they replied, that it would be normal and part of the new way how the aperture is controlled (somehow electronically instead of mechanical). this is needed because of the aperture control in video mode.
07-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #13

Original Poster
OK, I checked another K-7 in the nearby store and it behaves in similar way.
Moreover, I discovered that changing the aperture in LV or Movie mode causes the same sound. It's not related to SRII, it's simply just the aperture lever inside the body.

So, there's nothing to worry about, however this sound is quite unpleasant.
07-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

OK, I checked another K-7 in the nearby store and it behaves in similar way.
Moreover, I discovered that changing the aperture in LV or Movie mode causes the same sound. It's not related to SRII, it's simply just the aperture lever inside the body.

So, there's nothing to worry about, however this sound is quite unpleasant.
The aperture level is a high pitched sound? For my GX-10 (K10D) it sounds more like a tiny *clunk*.

Either way, I don't think it is a big problem, but if it bothers you, go check ANOTHER store and/or exchange for another K-7. Not worth it if it's going to bother you (like my loose 50-135mm focus ring)
07-14-2009, 11:51 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thought: People have different abilities to hear high-frequency sounds, ...I wonder if those who are hearing it happen to be the youngest.