Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2009, 05:54 AM   #1

Looking to buy Flash for K200D

As the title says i am looking for a decently priced flash that is suitable for the K200D. I will mainly be using it for portrait shots. I am still quite new to DSLR photography but am loving learning all i can.

I was looking around at the Metz 48AF-1, but i would say that would be my absolute max i am willing to spend, being a student. Any recommendations will be helpful, thanks.

07-15-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I have nothing against Metz (currently having 3 Metz flash units myself), but beware of a severe limitation of the 48AF-1: it does not its own light sensor. This means:

- It only works in P-TTL/TTL and full manual modes.
- With a lens that is older than PKA (e.g. PK or M42 lens), P-TTL does not work. So you are stuck with full manual. You'll have to manually adjust the aperture and ISO settings depending on the distance from the camera to the subject. It's not difficult, but is clumsy.
- One of the problems of P-TTL is the pre-flash strobe; some people are sensitive to this, and thus close their eyes during the 'actual' strobe. I myself don't use P-TTL in group photos.
- If you use the flash with a non-Pentax camera, you're stuck with full manual mode. Case in point: my backup camera is a Canon G5. If my Pentax 540 didn't have auto mode, I'd have to bring my Canon flash to use with the G5 too. Another case in point: my expensive Minolta 5400HS is now next to useless with my Pentax cameras because it does not have auto mode.

If it were me, I'd buy an inexpensive used flash to use right now, just making sure that the flash has Auto mode (and of course safe trigger voltage), while saving up for a Metz 58 or a Pentax 540.

Last edited by SOldBear; 07-15-2009 at 12:21 PM.
07-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks SOldBear,

So basically you suggest a flash with full Auto mode, that has helped a lot. Thanks, i'll keep looking around. Any other suggestions are welcomed!

Oh and btw, can you recommend any inexpensive flashes that have auto mode and a safe trigger voltage? Am i right assuming anything lower than 20 Volts is "safe" for pentax?
07-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Read this thread.

It may answer your questions.

07-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Read this thread.

It may answer your questions.
Thanks again. I had a look and it seems the Pentax AF280T is a favorite. I take it these are compatible/safe with the K200D? (voltage wise?) They seem very cheap and are definitely worth a try. Would it be worth testing the unit with a Multimeter before placing it on the camera?

Thanks.
07-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brenton_ Quote
I had a look and it seems the Pentax AF280T is a favorite. I take it these are compatible/safe with the K200D? (voltage wise?)
Correct. I've been using an AF200T with a K10D and just a few days ago bought an AF280T (I have too many flashes!). I can't remember the exact trigger voltage, but it is less than 6V for sure.

My favorites are actually the Nikon SB-24/25/26/28. They are powerful, feature-rich, and well built. But now that people know about them, the demand and thus the price keep growing....

Would it be worth testing the unit with a Multimeter before placing it on the camera?
Yes, it is always worth checking to make sure.
07-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you very much SOldBear for your help. I will try and pick up one of these within the next week. I will also purchase a cheap multimeter to test the voltage. I will post back to let you know how i went. Thanks again.

Last edited by brenton_; 07-15-2009 at 05:23 PM.
07-16-2009, 12:59 AM   #8

Original Poster
Just another question about the AF280T.

If i wanted to trigger the flash off-camera, is it possible to use something such as THIS (Cactus 4-Channel Wireless Flash Trigger Set V2s). If this is used, i assume the trigger voltage will not be an issue for the camera as the flash is not being fired directly from the camera's hot shoe. In case i am wrong, can somebody confirm that the Cactus trigger that is placed on the hot shoe does not produce any unsafe voltages into the camera?

I want to be able to take portrait shots with some side lighting, nothing too fancy. Any help/advice is appreciated.

07-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #9

Thank you very much SOldBear for your help. I will try and pick up one of these within the next week. I will also purchase a cheap multimeter to test the voltage. I will post back to let you know how i went. Thanks again.
Hi brenton
Ihave been looking for a flash for my K200D. What has ben your experience w/the AF280T? Has it worked in all facets?