Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
k2000 and limited lenses

I was over the lenses section on this forum and just found it amazing how lenses can make a difference. I'm just wondering if its crazy to get a limited lens and have a beginner body. The lens is more expensive than the body. I'm also wondering what I'd do with all the overlapping lenses that i'd collect throughout this learning process. How do I determine which ones to keep? so overwhelming with info.

Thanks again for everyone's comments. Everyone on this forum seem to have an abundance of knowledge and willing to help newbies like myself.

07-15-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not crazy at all. I have some FA* and FA Limited lenses and looking for a SR body. Tempted by the K7 but went for the K-m instead cos I only need certain basic features of any cameras. If you can afford, buy the best & most expensive of everything. If not, then best lenses and cheap body. How people label your camera should not be your concern unless you feel insecure.

As to overlapping lenses, I was there too but refrain from doing so again cos it was just a waste of money. Now I have an array of primes which aren't overlapping. Even so, I still found myself having more lenses that I need.
07-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you'll find that because of the high quality in even the basic models, the lenses will make more of a difference than you think. That's not saying that you can't take stunning photos with a $20 lens, mind you. But if you want to shoot at 77mm with an aperture of f/1.8, then do it! Don't worry about the body. Just go make a shot, because the beautiful photos you take won't care where they came from
07-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
Forum Member

It may be a so called beginner body but there is nothing beginner about the sensor inside.

With a higher quality lens your gathering higher quality light for the sensor.

07-16-2009, 01:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by teetoeb Quote
I'm just wondering if its crazy to get a limited lens and have a beginner body. The lens is more expensive than the body.
That's not crazy at all. I just purchased a DA 17-70 lens and it's as big, heavy and expensive as my camera (K-m) Lenses make the real difference in image quality, not the camera bodies.

QuoteQuote:
I'm also wondering what I'd do with all the overlapping lenses that i'd collect throughout this learning process. How do I determine which ones to keep?
Simple solution: don't buy them at the first place then you don't have to worry which ones to keep. I think the best way is to start with the kit lenses. After several hundred/thousand shots you'll know what focal lenghts and apertures you use the most, what you miss from the kit lenses, etc.
I did this and after a few months and more than 900 shots I realized that most of the time I was shooting in 30-70 range and I didn't like changing lenses. So I needed a good zoom covering that range, preferably with constant aperture and less audible noise.
07-16-2009, 11:27 PM   #6

hey!

stop insulting my camera! its not for beginners.. its for winners!
anywho, all i have is a km and limiteds... and it's beautiful man.
anywho, as to know which lenses to keep, just buy ltds and you won't get any overlap!
also, you'll know which ones you should keep, they'll be the ones you like the most and use the most...
have fun.

geez, just read my post. I'll blame it on the educational system, I sound like I'm 8 years old=)

Last edited by AntiBad; 07-16-2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: self deprication.
07-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I got my *ist DS, I saw great images from photographers with great lenses, using the same sensor. Those lenses weren't wasted on a mere 6Mp camera. The only problem with those premium lenses is knowing that you can't blame the equipment.

The best way to buy lenses is to have a plan, which you create by knowing something about your photography and your requirements. You'll see some questions here where the OP doesn't know a lot about what type of images they want to create. They just want a "better" lens. All lenses are designed to do something particular. If you start with a task, you can identify a lens for it. If you start with a lens first, you might be forced to operate within the lens's limitations instead of your preferences.

In other words, don't buy a Limited lens because it's a great lens or a great price now and they might disappear or it looks cool on the camera. Buy one because you are pretty sure you need it for images you can't get without it. Sometimes you can't know for sure without actually owning the lens, so you can't be too rigid. You might have to sell a few lenses along the way. The plan is also a learning aid, since you are constantly aware of your lenses and capabilities.

That said, I just went ahead and bought whatever I liked and could afford.

07-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K2000 + DA 40 Ltd is a winner combination