Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #1

I am paraniod about dust!!!!!

After years of carefree swapping lenses without a problem (apart from sand scratching the film in Jordan) I now have dust on the sensor paranoia!!!
Is this justified, do I need help or just harden up and get over it!!!
How often does dust become an issue? I am pretty aprehensive about going anywhere near the sensor.
Does the dust removal work well on the k200.
feel free to tel me as it is, tough love is the best.

07-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Dust is going to happen and when it does, you just have to deal with it.
Use common sense, take account of the conditions. If it's somewhere dry, dusty and windy for example, find some shelter to change the lens or at least turn your back to the wind and change lenses in the opening of your bag.
Practice changing lenses at home so that you can take as little time as possible to change them.
Always have the camera opening facing down when you change lenses.
Turn the camera off when changing lenses to reduce static.
Get yourself a Rocket Blower (Giottos).
Stop worrying and take some pictures.
07-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I change lenses fairly often and I have yet to meet dust that can withstand a few blasts from a rocket blower. Don't sweat it.

Edit: oh yeah, and welcome to the forum!
07-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Dust is going to happen and when it does, you just have to deal with it.
Use common sense, take account of the conditions. If it's somewhere dry, dusty and windy for example, find some shelter to change the lens or at least turn your back to the wind and change lenses in the opening of your bag.
Practice changing lenses at home so that you can take as little time as possible to change them.
Always have the camera opening facing down when you change lenses.
Turn the camera off when changing lenses to reduce static.
Get yourself a Rocket Blower (Giottos).
Stop worrying and take some pictures.
Agree. If you don't see it on your pictures, don't go fiddling around with preventive cleaning etc.

07-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Dust happens from time to time but it's really no big deal. I was anxious at first but now swap lenses very frequently (love those primes ;~) and pretty casually. We've got a dog, a cat and a thirteen year old daughter, btw. Once in a great while, some dust spots will appear on the sensor. When it does, I get out the blower and--poof, poof, poof--they're gone. Bottom line: don't lose any sleep over this.
07-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
sweet guys

works better than a chill pill, time to go lens swapping
07-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #7

I also have concerns with dust, I just got my camera and plan on taking it to Kandahar, Afghanistan with me. The dust on the ground can be a few inches deep and like talcum powder. Sure would appreciate some helpful hints on this scenario as I have a few months before I return again.

Derek
07-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

get a rocket blower, as was suggested.

Dust will be more noticeable when you're using small apertures. (f/16, f/22, f/32 etc)
The K200D has a dust alert function. Most of the times it's fairly useful. I'd say if you don't notice dust the majority of the time, you probably don't need to be paranoid about it.

If you're planning on an all-day landscape fest shooting at f/22 - then maybe you want to do the dust alert thing and blow the dust out beforehand, just to start from a clean slate.

Normally I notice it in post, then I blow the thing out real good. I'm repeating what Josh said above basically but I haven't needed to use anything more than the rocket blower in well over a year. I have a wet cleaning system too, but I needed that on the K110D, dust stuck real bad for me on glass above that sensor.

07-16-2009, 08:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GrahamD Quote
I now have dust on the sensor paranoia!!!
Is this justified, do I need help or just harden up and get over it!!!
Cleaning a few spots in post processing is enormously easy; just a few clicks and you are ready to print.

Nevertheless, the rocket blower normally does well the job, if the camera dust remover fails.
07-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dsittler Quote
I also have concerns with dust, I just got my camera and plan on taking it to Kandahar, Afghanistan with me. The dust on the ground can be a few inches deep and like talcum powder. Sure would appreciate some helpful hints on this scenario as I have a few months before I return again.

Derek
What I could think of is:
  • I've seen a pro photographer in India, covering his C***n D5 MII with some sort of plastic bag.
  • The best advise is to use weather resistant equipment, which you can clean by spraying water over it.
  • Avoid lens swaps.
  • Buy a disposable walk around lens, i.e. a second hand 18-250mm, leave it on the camera and if it gets wasted, leave it behind.
  • Be lucky
  • Bring a good cleaning kit which you've learned to use at home.

- Bert
07-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #11

Someone else also recommended the plastic bag set-up which I wil consider. I have also thought about purchasing a cheap lens and if it get ruined then "Oh well!!" That last few times I was there I was very careful about dust with my laptop and other electronics and had no issues. I bought the camera to learn and use, it does me no good sitting in the box looking at it!

Derek
07-20-2009, 07:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I just got my own K200D, just before a trip to to Utah/California. Hiking in various national parks - Volcanic dust in Lassen, regular sand/dust in Death Valley, etc.

After years of using a collection of primes on my MX, I was a bit paranoid myself (one of the reasons I opted for the weather sealed body). I normally do a lot of macro, swapping an extension tube in/out.

Based on advice from this forum, I got myself a giotto rocket blower before leaving on the trip. Although I didn't end up doing as much lense swapping as I used to (used the kit lense quite a lot for wide angle shots). That said, I tried to start each day off by using the dust alert, and if necessary, the blower. Over the two weeks, I do remember needing to use the blower on the sensor maybe twice, and once for an annoying speck on the focus screen. After this experience, I'm a bit less paranoid. But the kit lense does feel like it's got a bit of dust in it when you turn the focus/zoom rings.
YMMV