Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #1

Camping Trip to North Canada

I'm going camping to North Canada soon and I would like to capture the scenery as best as possible with the Pentax equipment I have. I will be without power for 5 days, and I want to photograph everything from mountains to birds. I am trying not to bring very expensive lenses. Please comment on the Filters & equipment I am currently bringing: (commenting especially on filters would help a lot....all lenses have UV filters and hoods)

Pentax K20D
Pentax K2000
DA 10-17mm
DA 16-45mm (with Polarizer filter)
Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom
Pentax K 50mm f/1.4
Pentax Flash AF360FGZ
3 D-LI50
Tons of AA Batteries
24 GB of Memorry
Tripod

All comments are very helpful!

Thanks

07-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like you're all set, but don't forget a good amount of mosquito repellant!
07-15-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mkz Quote
I'm going camping to North Canada soon and I would like to capture the scenery as best as possible with the Pentax equipment I have. I will be without power for 5 days, and I want to photograph everything from mountains to birds. I am trying not to bring very expensive lenses. Please comment on the Filters & equipment I am currently bringing: (commenting especially on filters would help a lot....all lenses have UV filters and hoods)

Pentax K20D
Pentax K2000
DA 10-17mm
DA 16-45mm (with Polarizer filter)
Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom
Pentax K 50mm f/1.4
Pentax Flash AF360FGZ
3 D-LI50
Tons of AA Batteries
24 GB of Memorry
Tripod

All comments are very helpful!

Thanks
What do you call North Canada. Give us a location so we can advise on conditions, weather and equipment to match.
07-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

+5 on the mosquito repellent. Not for the skeeters so much, but for the black flies.
If you are taking a car, then consider a power inverter and your battery charger.
If you are shooting raw, you might consider more memory.

07-16-2009, 05:54 AM   #5
mkz

Original Poster
I'm landing in whitehorse, yukon and then driving around 6 hours north to one of the many camp sites.

Thanks for you responses! I will bring much mosquito repellant! Those black flies'll get ya!

But in terms of filters.....What kind of filters should I use to create more vibrant/soft colors?

As well, what kind of filters should I use to create that nice effect for waterfalls?

-m
07-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm landing in whitehorse, yukon and then driving around 6 hours north to one of the many camp sites.

Thanks for you responses! I will bring much mosquito repellant! Those black flies'll get ya!

But in terms of filters.....What kind of filters should I use to create more vibrant/soft colors?

As well, what kind of filters should I use to create that nice effect for waterfalls?

-m
Been there on many occasions, definitely bring repellant as July could be the worst month for bugs. If you are able, find an head net. Expect temperature could vary from freezing to 70F depending where you are going. As for photos, expect lots of green and plenty of light as the Sun is up, never very high, past midnight. Bring a CPL polarizer filter for sure. If you have time in Whitehorse, buy an car inverter to charge your batteries only if you have acces to a vehicle. Bring plastic ziplock bag to store all your gear in. I have the impression you will have some guides taking you around. If so, they should advise you on the conditions you are facing. It is a big country with little rescue capabilities available due to sparse commmunities. Be prepared is a must. BTW, it is grizzly, black bear and cariboo country, telephoto lens is prefered.
07-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
mkz

Original Poster
We are actually not going with a guide. We were thinking of heading up to tombstone mountain. I'm originally from Quebec and go camping in North Quebec all the time. Is there any other extra precautions I should take that I would not normally consider because I camp a couple of hours from civilization?

-mike
07-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

We are actually not going with a guide. We were thinking of heading up to tombstone mountain. I'm originally from Quebec and go camping in North Quebec all the time. Is there any other extra precautions I should take that I would not normally consider because I camp a couple of hours from civilization?

-mike
If you are heading out to the campground, Tombstone territorial park, it is grizzly country. Beautiful place to visit, the park has some offices.

Check out the travelyukon.com site for info. For a nature photo, probably the best place to go. I was in the area for a day or so in the mid - 80. Most of my time was around Haines Junction, Kluane lake and Mount Logan.

I am originally from Estcourt on the border of Maine, most of my family now resides in Quebec city. Lived 4 years in Halifax before returning to Quebec. Moved from Bagotville west in 1982 and lived in Cold Lake, Edmonton,Winnipeg, Moose Jaw. As an Airforce pilot, now retired, I travelled many of these areas in my time at a Search and Rescue squadron.

Look forward to seeing some of your adventure photos in this forum.

07-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
Inactive Account

-m

Now Yukon would qualify as North Canada. I must be watching too much Rick Mercer -- I was expecting Algonquin or Jasper to be described as North Canada.

Anyway, I second the suggestion of bringing a Circular Polarizing filter.
07-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Yes a CPL is about all you need for filters. I hope you can carry a travel tripod as well. IMO you don't have enough memory and it's so cheap, you should grab a couple 16Gb cards of good quality. As Wheatfield suggested, get an invertor to charge in the car or order an Ebay car charger and extra battery for the camera. You have a car so you can recharge the camera battery. I have one of each and they have been a lifesavers more than once.

If you have the time to get a good +3 Graduated ND filter, it could be handy for some landscape shooting.
07-17-2009, 08:02 AM   #11
mkz

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Now I have a more specific filter question...

Which filters do people use for outdoor photography that are a "must buy"....
(ie. the effects that cannot be photoshop'd in RAW or that do not look nearly as good when done in photoshop)

-m
07-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
You mentioned "nice" waterfalls- if you mean soft, filmy water, you might want to look at some ND filters if you want to use slow shutter speeds with large apertures and expect bright lighting.
07-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

The only "must buy" filters are Polarizers. The other "Very good to have" filters are Graduated ND's and Full ND's.

The Graduated ones are great for scenes with a bright sky and dark foreground where you want to balance the 2 different exposures. The best filters I've used are Singh Ray P sized 84mm filters. With a Cokin P holder and the various filter ring adapters (all found on Ebay very cheap) you can use the same filter for every lens you own up to 82mm front element size. Maybe even a touch bigger due to the crop factor and depending if the lens is older or DA series.

The Singh Ray's are expensive. An individual filter can sell for $150 used and new over $200 in some cases. But the cheapo Ebay ones are junk unless you like purple sky's.

The other filter used the same way is a straight ND filter. Same setup but this allows you to slow the shutter speed down to get those nice silky waterfalls and similar effects.
07-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #14
mkz

Original Poster
what about special effect filters or imaging softening filters there are just so many categories its difficult to know which ones to buy. From what everyone has told me I will definitely buy a straight ND and graduated ND filter.

How are Hoya and B+W as manufacturers? Singh-Ray is definitely very expensive. Is it worth the price?

-m
07-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Most are a waste of money to DSLR users. You can replicate almost all of those effects (and more) in various free or Adobe programs. All those filters are left overs from the film days.

When it comes to ND's Singh Ray is worth it. B&W and Hoya are good also. You might find a Hoya ND in a large size and use stepping rings for various lens filter sizes. So one filter for all your lenses.