Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shutter Actuations-How Do You Tell??

I own a K100D.How can you tell how many shutter actuations are on the camera please?

07-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
I own a K100D.How can you tell how many shutter actuations are on the camera please?
Do a search for "PhotoME."

You're set if you have a PC with Windows. I don't know the answer for other operating systems.
07-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Exiftool is multi-platform.

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExifTool
07-15-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Shutter actuations

The only place to see the number of shutter actuations is in the exif data that is attached to every image.

PhotoME and Exiftool are two popular programs to read/modify the exif data. You just load the images to your computer and use one of those tools (or one of many others) to view the exif data.

It would be nice if Pentax would have a menu option to show the shutter count on the camera's LCD screen, but so far, they haven't done that. I don't of any other camera maker who does, either.

07-21-2009, 04:53 AM   #5

I would assume that the K100 numbers the images serialy. The image number should tell the story.
07-21-2009, 05:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Do a search for "PhotoME."

You're set if you have a PC with Windows. I don't know the answer for other operating systems.
PhotoME will do the job nicely.
You need to understand that also the factory tests are also counted for.
So, new out of the box your camera will at least report over 100 actuations.

- Bert
07-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Image numbers

QuoteOriginally posted by photog Quote
I would assume that the K100 numbers the images serialy. The image number should tell the story.

I have a K10D, but I'm pretty sure that the K100D works the same way. The camera has an option to number images continuously, or to reset them every time a memory card is inserted. If you select continous numbering and insert a card from another camera and there are images on that card, it will pick up the highest number on that card and begin numbering at the next number.

So, the image number is not a reliable indicator, although it may give an approximate value. The only truly reliable value is the one in the EXIF data.