Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
qns on super takumars mounts

Two questions:
Do super-takumar mounts with auto aperture pin need to be modified before mounting on k20d? I see that the pin sticks out even when the switch is moved to manual mode.

Do the super takumars also have coatings (I know that they dont necessarily have special multi coatings unless they specify SMC on the lens)?

Thank you for your time
Arvindh

07-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't know, but perhaps these links can help you out:
Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page
http://whitemetal.com/pentax/index_pentax_lenses.htmPage

Cheers, Bert
07-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
Do super-takumar mounts with auto aperture pin need to be modified before mounting on k20d? I see that the pin sticks out even when the switch is moved to manual mode.
no modifying needed - that pin won't interfere with K-mount cameras.

Do the super takumars also have coatings (I know that they dont necessarily have special multi coatings unless they specify SMC on the lens)?
not sure, super-multi-coated, and SMC takumars have all those fancy coatings, like newer glass, but i'm not so sure about older taks. probably they have some kind of coatings. you can check that easily - non-coated lenses have clean, "white" look of reflected objects on their glass, while coated lenses have colored reflections.
07-16-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
bymyi41 and elkarrde - thank you for your response. Very helpful! Eager to shoot the takumars!

07-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes they do. They were experimenting with multi-coatings through the production time, so it's hard to say exactly what coating formula was used on them. The later models are more likely to have better coatings than the earliest versions. A test in 1971 tried to determine the difference between everyone's coatings, and tested Super-Takumars along with Super-Multi-Coated models. They ended up with the same results, and discovered that Pentax had been making some Super-Takumars with the newer coatings and not changing the labels.