Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Diopter Setting Question

Hello,

I have a K200D camera with the kit lens. So far I've been using the Diopter all the way to the right but am wondering if this is a good setting for me (I want to be able to rely on manual focus more). According to the manual and other resources, it says to just move it back and forth until it feels right (after auto-focusing). However, it's really hard to tell the difference for me between the middle setting and all the way to the right (feels like being at the optometrist and switching lens back and forth) . I have 20/20 vision, so am just wondering what the regular adjustment should be? The diopter goes from -1.5 to +2.5 and seems to have 9 settings( I would think the middle would be neutral but am not able to verify) ... what does everyone here have their setting on (clicks from left/right)?

07-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine is second from the right (that's with my glasses or contact on). Anything further to the left seems blurry to me.
07-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mine is all the way to the right.

The best way to set it is to completely defocus the lens, and look at a uniform white or gray surface (e.g. wall) throught the viewfinder. Then adjust the diopter until the information displayed in the viewfinder and/or the the grid lines are the sharpest.
07-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I was so busy trying to focus on the image that I didn't realize the information on the viewfinder was also getting adjusted. D'oh! I have mine now set to 1 step in from the right and seems okay. I guess the K200D camera just seems harder to focus manually? In the old 35mm SLRs it seemed a little easier - this seems of concern when considering manual focus lenses (pentax smc -m) for this dSLR. Have you guys had any issues with this?

07-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
The best way to set it is to completely defocus the lens, and look at a uniform white or gray surface (e.g. wall) throught the viewfinder. Then adjust the diopter until the information displayed in the viewfinder and/or the the grid lines are the sharpest.
Actually, it's easier just to remove the lens altogether, and do the adjustment.
07-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by prajno Quote
Thanks for the replies. I was so busy trying to focus on the image that I didn't realize the information on the viewfinder was also getting adjusted. D'oh! I have mine now set to 1 step in from the right and seems okay. I guess the K200D camera just seems harder to focus manually? In the old 35mm SLRs it seemed a little easier - this seems of concern when considering manual focus lenses (pentax smc -m) for this dSLR. Have you guys had any issues with this?
For me I use the viewpoint info and AF points when focusing. When in focus, the focus point light up and there would be a beep (if enabled in menu). Also the hexagon at the bottom lights up.
07-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have a hard time deciding between 1or 2 clicks from the right, but either of those is clearly better than anything else. That's wearing glasses.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 07-16-2009 at 09:45 PM.
07-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I only recently moved from all the way right to one click from the far right edge.

I think there's two reasons why focusing might be tougher than what you're used to. With my K1000, the viewfinder is absolutely huge. The DSLRs from Pentax use a cropped sensor, so the viewfinder is smaller. I think that has a lot to do with it.

Secondly, the focusing screen is very basic - just a matt field. Upgrading to a split screen focus helps a lot of folks, but cheap bastards (such as myself )have really come to rely on the focus confirmation in the viewfinder to help out.
07-17-2009, 12:02 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote
I only recently moved from all the way right to one click from the far right edge.

I think there's two reasons why focusing might be tougher than what you're used to. With my K1000, the viewfinder is absolutely huge. The DSLRs from Pentax use a cropped sensor, so the viewfinder is smaller. I think that has a lot to do with it.

Secondly, the focusing screen is very basic - just a matt field. Upgrading to a split screen focus helps a lot of folks, but cheap bastards (such as myself )have really come to rely on the focus confirmation in the viewfinder to help out.
Thanks for the information. I looked into past links about the split focus and the katzeye product. Definitely not cheap and probably not worth the upgrade for me. I guess I'll keep my eyes more on the autofocus versions when choosing older lenses albeit more expensive.
07-17-2009, 04:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A good set of exercises to help with manual focus

Thanks for the information. I looked into past links about the split focus and the katzeye product. Definitely not cheap and probably not worth the upgrade for me. I guess I'll keep my eyes more on the autofocus versions when choosing older lenses albeit more expensive.
Prajno, check out the link below. It is for a series of exercises to help improve your manual focusing skills. They are boring. Along the same line as practicing scales on a musical instrument is boring. But I never got good with an instrument without practicing scales, so I practice focusing too. They were devised and written up by "Godfrey" a well respected photographer/poster over at DPR.
Here is the link:
Re: Is a KatzEye required for those using manual focus?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

NaCl(how do you get to Carnegie Hall and all that)H2O
07-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Prajno, check out the link below. It is for a series of exercises to help improve your manual focusing skills. They are boring. Along the same line as practicing scales on a musical instrument is boring. But I never got good with an instrument without practicing scales, so I practice focusing too. They were devised and written up by "Godfrey" a well respected photographer/poster over at DPR.
Here is the link:
Re: Is a KatzEye required for those using manual focus?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

NaCl(how do you get to Carnegie Hall and all that)H2O
Thank you for that link (bookmarked/printed). I will definitely be trying out those exercises!
01-31-2013, 11:09 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
Question on the K200D diopter slide, several mention 'clicks' -- should it click?
(I'm looking at one for sale, looks perfect except that diopter slide doesn't slide -- and I don't know whether that's fatal or fixable or how it ought to work. (It moves a bit between center and left of center position, not at all to the right of center, and definitely no clicks)
02-01-2013, 05:21 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The easiest way is to focus on the markings that are on the focusing screen itself, with no lens attached. Everything else does not matter
02-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
If like me, you wear glasses with multiple diopters (multi-focal), be sure to use the portion of your glasses for viewing distant objects when looking through the optical viewfinder. It does not matter how near or far away the subject is located, because you are not looking directly at the subject, but at its projection on the focusing screen. And the focusing screen optics are set for infinity... the camera's diopter adjustment is just tweaking that setting.

Conversely, when looking at the LCD display (Live View), you will likely use your glasses's near focus portion, no matter how near or far away the subject is, because you are not looking at the subject, but its projection on the LCD.
02-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine is slammed all the way to the right as well, when I give the camera to someone else, I have to remember to slide it back towards the middle. I recommend looking at the LEDs in the viewfinder, when those are sharp, your diopter is set properly for you.