Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Welcome to the forum.
Congrats on getting a very robust and capable camera.

I would suggest getting the best zoom or prime lens you can afford, and one that offers a maximum aperture of f/2.8 or larger. So your idea of getting a 50/1.7 is definitely worthwhile, but I'd strongly consider autofocus varieties (F 50/1.7, F or FA 50/1.4 etc) as they'll give you that extra focusing speed when you want it.

Otherwise, a good zoom like a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is a very very good lens for its price, and will give you the flexibility that a prime cannot.

All the best in your lens purchase.
I agree with Ash!

The Tammy 28-75 is a great all around lens that might never leave your camera.

07-18-2009, 12:29 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by flmz Quote
Should I expect any problems with older film lenses?
It depends on your experience with this type of lenses and the quality of the lens itself; but if you really are on to it, manual focus that is, a split focusing screen is a must have, highly preferable to the one that comes with your camera; also a magnified eyepiece, like the Pentax O-ME53, is a great help too. So be prepared to spent more money on this. All those people shooting in manual lenses will tell you that. Don't go for the manual lens just because it looks "professional". Autofocus lens are great too, and unbeatable if you need to be fast to catch the subject; furthermore, if you want to shoot manual, put your camera/lens in manual mode.
Some members have advised you to go for the Tammy 28-75 2.8; it's a great lens but I bet it will cost you 3 or 4 times the price of the 18-55 kit lens.

Last edited by Manel Brand; 07-18-2009 at 02:30 AM.
07-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use MF lenses all the time, and wouldn't call a split screen a "must have". Helpful, I'm sure, but I do fine without one. It just takes practice.
07-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I use MF lenses all the time, and wouldn't call a split screen a "must have". Helpful, I'm sure, but I do fine without one. It just takes practice.
..... Ditto.

07-18-2009, 11:52 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Helpful, I'm sure, but I do fine without one. It just takes practice.
Judging from my experience with DSLR viewfinders, unless you are focusing to infinity, a split screen is a "must have" if you want superior accuracy when focusing manually. Sure, you may do fine without , but once you tried it out, there's no way back. Same goes for the magnifying eyepiece.

You say, "it takes practice" and I must add "a lot of practice". Now, if I understand the standing point of Mr. flmz, he is a beginner! How can he have the practice required to be able to focus a manual lens with a screen not designed to do so? After all, manual lenses from the 70's and 80's belonged to cameras that have a viewfinder with some sort of a split screen feature.

Curiously, Mr. LeDave has started a poll about manual and auto focus usages. Don't you want to start a poll/thread about this issue?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-techniques-styles/670...ual-focus.html

Cheers

Last edited by Manel Brand; 07-19-2009 at 01:45 AM.
07-19-2009, 06:01 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
unless you are focusing to infinity, a split screen is a "must have" if you want superior accuracy when focusing manually. Sure, you may do fine without , but once you tried it out, there's no way back. Same goes for the magnifying eyepiece.
When shooting wide open, this is true, but if the majority of your shooting is done stopped down to F:8 or f:11, you should have enough depth of field to cover minor errors in most situations. I'm not saying you wouldn't be better off having a split focusing screen & a magnifying eyepiece..... in fact, I'll be getting one myself soon. I'm just saying that it isn't "absolutely necessary" in all circumstances.
07-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Judging from my experience with DSLR viewfinders, unless you are focusing to infinity, a split screen is a "must have" if you want superior accuracy when focusing manually. Sure, you may do fine without , but once you tried it out, there's no way back. Same goes for the magnifying eyepiece.
Not wanting to go back isn't the same as "must have". Again, all I can say is, with practice and experience, it's possible to do just fine without the split screen. It's also possible to do just fine without the eyepiece magnifier, but I too wouldn't want to go back at this point.

QuoteQuote:
You say, "it takes practice" and I must add "a lot of practice". Now, if I understand the standing point of Mr. flmz, he is a beginner! How can he have the practice required to be able to focus a manual lens with a screen not designed to do so?
I don't mean that you need to have achieved this practice before you get your first DSLR or manual lens; I mean you can work on gaining that practice as soon as you do get the lens. I felt comfortable at apertures smaller than f/2.8 from within days if not hours. It did take longer to get comfortable at apertures of f/2.8 and larger, but still, we're talking a matter of weeks.

07-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
I'm just saying that it isn't "absolutely necessary" in all circumstances.
Didn't said that either. "Absolutely necessary" is a lens for Mr. flmz, right? I'm afraid we are going off topic.
Mr. flmz wants to buy a lens for around $100 and I was suggesting that he could be well served with the kit lens. I could by one in mint condition for as little as $50. With the remaining cash, he would start saving for, say a SMC Pentax-DA 50-200mm and he will end up with a 18-200mm range system on two fine lenses, without robbing the bank! He wants to shoot manually, sure, all he has to do is set the camera to full manual mode. Also, Pentax DA lens have the advantage of the Quickshift function which is a great bonus over the competition, particularly if you like "to take control", don't you agree?
07-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Didn't said that either. "Absolutely necessary" is a lens for Mr. flmz, right?
A little unnecessary disagreement in split hair parsing of terms. There seems to me to be no difference in meaning between the terms "must have" & "absolutely necessary".
07-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Not wanting to go back isn't the same as "must have".
Mr. Sabatella, we are not here to discuss semantics, right? If you shoot frequently with manual focus lens and your sight is as good as mine, you could take my word for the benefits of a focusing screen and the optical magnifier, in particular in what concerns with close/macro shots. As I've said, maybe we could start a thread on this and hear what other members think about it.

Cheers
07-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
A little unnecessary disagreement in split hair parsing of terms.
I'm sorry about that, for what concerns to my words. I used the therms "Must Have" in a metaphoric sense so to speak, not literally. I wanted to say that "I don't have it, but I'm looking forward to get it, because my camera is better with it." So, if I don't have it and I can take pictures without it, it's not absolute necessary! Right?

Again, my apologies

Last edited by Manel Brand; 07-19-2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Syntactic corrections
07-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #27
Veteran Member

we are talking about lens recommendation here , not discussing opinions about viewfinders. take this subject somewhere else.

anyway fwiw,having focusing screens and optical magnifiers are subjective. it is true that they can be a great addition or helpful tools but they are not mandatory tools unless you got an impaired vision. both of you are correct in some retrospect.
07-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I'm sorry about that, for what concerns to my words. I used the therms "Must Have" in a metaphoric sense so to speak, not literally. I wanted to say that "I don't have it, but I'm looking forward to get it, because my camera is better with it." So, if I don't have it and I can take pictures without it, it's not absolute necessary! Right?

Again, my apologies
Right, & no apologies necessary..... just a friendly exchange of opinions among fellow forum members.

Last edited by raymeedc; 07-19-2009 at 11:40 AM.
07-19-2009, 11:38 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Mr. Sabatella, we are not here to discuss semantics, right?
Don't worry about being a "disagreement", BTW. I figure, we're here to make recommendations. And I agree with the recommendation that split focus screens and viewfinder magnifiers can help. I just don't want anyone to get the idea that manual lenses are useless without a split focus screen, and hence be scared off the purchase. Lots of people use these lenses quite successfully, and there is no reason for anyone considering one of these lenses to assume they couldn't do so as well.

QuoteQuote:
As I've said, maybe we could start a thread on this and hear what other members think about it.
It's come up many times before. And it always goes pretty much exactly like it is here - some who find the split focus screens or viewfinder magnifiers to be "must haves", some who don't see the big deal. I'd say almost everyone who has actually tried it agrees that split screens and magnifiers help. But I'd also say almost everyone who has actually spent time practicing with the stock screen would also agree that this helps, too.
07-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just to get back to the question. I would start with the kit lens and shoot with that for a while. Then, see what focal length you tend to use the most and get a prime in that range. I personally find a 50 mm a little long for most things and short for the rest. I love the image quality, but find I leave it at home in favor of my other lenses.