Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
Inactive Account

DA lenses for K-7

I presently have a Pentax *istDL2 and am considering buying a K-7. Would the SMC DA lenses (18-50 mm and 50-200 mm) work well with a K-7 or should I use only DA* lenses.

Thanks.

windflower

07-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The regular DA lenses certainly work, and work well. But the DA* lenses are better. Whether they are enough better to be worthwhile is something only you can say, but there are no shortage of sample images around the net to look at in making your decision. Do keep in midn the difference in focal length ranges and in size/weight, as well as the difference in price.
07-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Remember that all Pentax dSLRs are able to take any lens that fits onto the bayonet, but as for K-mount AF lenses - there's no problem with any of these working as you'd expect.
07-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the question is really one of aperture -- the DA* lenses have a much larger maximum aperture which allows for better low light shooting, playing with depth of field. However, if you never plan to shoot more wide open than f5.6 than the kit and 50-200 should be just fine.

They also have SDM and weather sealing, but those don't really effect image quality.

07-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks. I looked at a few of your photos. Very nice indeed! What lens did you use for the bird?
07-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the question is really one of aperture -- the DA* lenses have a much larger maximum aperture which allows for better low light shooting, playing with depth of field. However, if you never plan to shoot more wide open than f5.6 than the kit and 50-200 should be just fine.

They also have SDM and weather sealing, but those don't really effect image quality.
Thanks. I'll probably go with the lenses I have for the time being, at least until I have saved enough to buy a DA* or two.
07-17-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The regular DA lenses certainly work, and work well. But the DA* lenses are better. Whether they are enough better to be worthwhile is something only you can say, but there are no shortage of sample images around the net to look at in making your decision. Do keep in midn the difference in focal length ranges and in size/weight, as well as the difference in price.
Oops. I should have quoted your message in my first reply so you would know it was directed at you. Just to clarify, here is my message again: I looked at a few of your photos. Very nice indeed! What lens did you use for the bird?

Thanks.
07-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks! Where were you looking at my photos, and which bird? If you were looking at the pictures I've uploaded to the galleries here, it looks like you're probably referring to the hawk scratching an itch:

That was the DA50-200. The cormorant images were with the Sigma 600/8 mirror (a lens I was borrowing for a few years to test). If you were looking on Flickr, the ones I've posted over the last week or so were with the Vivitar 500/8 mirror I bought recently. None of these are particularly high end lenses; the Vivitar in particular is considered rather poor by most.