Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2009, 02:32 AM   #1

Pentax K7 clunk

When i jiggle my K7 or turn it upside down I can feel a slight clunk movement inside.

It's works great (just got it today) but is it supposed to feel completely solid when you jiggle/flip it or is there supposed to be some movement inside?

07-18-2009, 02:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
that's perfectly normal !!!
07-18-2009, 02:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It's the sensor moving to allow SR. It does "float" freely to allow magnets to position it to counteract camera shake. Just keep on shooting.
07-18-2009, 03:39 AM   #4

Original Poster
Phew! thanks a bunch guys!

07-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiamon Quote
When i jiggle my K7 or turn it upside down I can feel a slight clunk movement inside.

It's works great (just got it today) but is it supposed to feel completely solid when you jiggle/flip it or is there supposed to be some movement inside?
Haha..why did you do that???
This is the second time I've heard of this someone jiggling their Pentax 'coz something seems to be jiggling inside.
Makes one kinda nervous if you don't know about the SR..but I hope you don't jiggle it anymore as too much jiggling intentionally might be to much shake for your SR mechanism.
07-21-2009, 04:49 AM   #6

I agree with GerryL. It is perfectly normal and why do it? While it probably will do no harm it certainly will do no good.
07-21-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

it's not a piggy bank. so don't think about breaking it !
07-21-2009, 11:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiamon Quote

You sure it's not a "clink"?

All subpar cameras have this unique feature. I kid.

I'm assuming it's the orientation sensor being knocked around in there. I know when I shake my digital camera something is always rattling around... somewhere. It's lighter than a clunk though; that's too hefty. You should also consider that your camera has the inferior (compared to in-lens) sensor stabilization system. Perhaps when shaken vigourously, the mount moves about?

07-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
I'm assuming it's the orientation sensor being knocked around in there.
No, it's present on the K100D as well, which lacks an orientation sensor. As has been quite clearly explained here many times, it's the normal operation of the SR system.

QuoteQuote:
You should also consider that your camera has the inferior (compared to in-lens) sensor stabilization system.
Not sure if you're deliberately trying to be rude here, but Pentax only has in-camera stabilization. And there are advantages and disadvantages to both types of systems. Lens-based stabilization has the advantage of being slightly more effective, especially at long focal lengths. Camera-based stabilization has the advantage of working with *all* lenses, including my $50 used manual focus primes. It's a tradeoff, but in any case, all Pentax current (and recent) Pentax cameras use camera-based stabilization.
07-22-2009, 09:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
No, it's present on the K100D as well, which lacks an orientation sensor. As has been quite clearly explained here many times, it's the normal operation of the SR system.

Not sure if you're deliberately trying to be rude here, but Pentax only has in-camera stabilization. And there are advantages and disadvantages to both types of systems. Lens-based stabilization has the advantage of being slightly more effective, especially at long focal lengths. Camera-based stabilization has the advantage of working with *all* lenses, including my $50 used manual focus primes. It's a tradeoff, but in any case, all Pentax current (and recent) Pentax cameras use camera-based stabilization.
O Hai!

I think you're being a touch sensitive if you consider my poking fun of a piece of technology that you didn't design to be rude. Reading the sentence immediately following the one you quoted would reveal that I also suggest it may be that system that causes the rattling.
07-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Like I said, I wasn't sure if you trying to be rude or not. But intended or not, it kind of came off that way. And no, I didn't design the system, but everyone reading this chose such a system, and your wording implied they made a bad choice - or indeed, that there was a better choice that was available to be made within the Pentax produce line. So it was misleading as well. No big deal, but I thought it worth clarifying for the benefit of anyone who might have been confused.
07-23-2009, 12:10 AM   #12

We're getting a bit off topis here. I have heard/felt some movement in side the K20 when using Liveview. I assumed it to be the image stabilization working. If so it appears to be a normal process.

I don't suppose a technician left a screw driver behind when assembling the camera?
07-23-2009, 06:25 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
I'm assuming it's the orientation sensor being knocked around in there.
I have the same feeling. Beside the "normal" SR movement there is something moving when turning the the K-7 from landscape to portrait and vice versa which feels like such a sensor.
12-26-2009, 08:34 AM   #14

Life savers!

Okay, so maybe you guy aren't life savers, but the reassurance that the "clunk" is normal is such a relief. After two bouts with Canon's 40d (returned it twice... for 2 different reasons) I decided to become a Pentaxian. The camera is amazing! With a new baby on the way, I can't wait to use the HD video as well. So you guys can banter all you want... I just wanted to say thanks for giving a fellow Pentax user the piece of mind needed to totally trust his equipment!